Communitas map script

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
Click to download the official Communitas Map. My goal is finding a middle ground between aesthetic realism and gameplay balance.

This map creates several continents and numerous offshore islands. It creates ocean rifts like the Atlantic or Pacific to make Astronomy useful (highlighted in red on minimaps below). Players and citystates appear everywhere like the vanilla Continents map. There exists an advanced game option to place all major civs on the single largest continent, if you want that, creating a Terra-like situation. More details are below the photos.

- Natural wonders appear at good unclaimed locations.

- Rivers flow through lakes into oceans.

- Mountain ranges affect rain, snow, and military strategy.

- Offshore islands reward naval exploration.

- Inland seas connect to oceans.

- The normal Continents-style option balances the two parts of the world.

- The Terra-style custom map option puts major civs on the largest landmass (basically Eurasia), with an offset Atlantic Ocean.

Look for "Communitas" in the map list after activating the Communitas Expansion Pack.

If you wish to use the map standalone or multiplayer, copy it from folder 1 to 2:
1: \Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Communitas Expansion Pack - Basic (v 3)\Maps\Communitas.lua
2: \Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Maps\Communitas.lua

I've included my personal tweaks to Rich Marinaccio's PerfectWorld map in this project for some time. I'm now taking it in a new direction with extensive new improvements to realism and gameplay balance. If you wish to play the original PerfectWorld script, I renamed the modified version to Communitas, allowing both scripts to coexist on the map list. I did several hours of testing to ensure we get about the same proportions of terrain as standard vanilla maps. Please be aware some aspects of map creation are done by things individual map scripts cannot control. For example, the game later places bonus tiles (like fish or oases) to improve bad areas so everywhere on the map has about equal value. This is done by a separate part of the game, and is identical for all maps.

This map and vanilla Continents both create approximately:

25% of land tiles have fresh water

05% hills
30% flat grassland
25% flat plains
10% flat desert (one third covered by a bonus like oasis/floodplains/stone)
10% flat tundra
03% snow

20% forest
10% jungle
03% marsh

Map creation goes like this (on any map):

1. Create terrain - ocean, grassland, rivers, etc.
  2. Create features - forest, jungle, isles.
  3. Divide map into territories.
  4. Choose a territory for each player.
  5. Balance terrain by placing bonus resources.
  6. Place natural wonders.
  7. Place strategic resources and random bonus resources.
  8. Place citystates.
  9. Equalize citystate start locations.

:dance: Feels like chrismas!!! Awesome! PW refined by Thal is like Kobe beef prepared by a 5-star chef :) Guess this will be my preferred mapscript for 90% of my games.

Just a question: How are luxuries distributed in this version? PW is a terra-style script - Are luxuries divided between new and old world to encourage lategame colonisation?

Cool.

I suspect I'll stick with continents+ though. I find old world/new world scripts end up messing up Tall empires.

Also the BNW AI seems often to stay small until the industrial era, then go on a colonizing spree, but the human player that wants to colonize can pick out the best spots first.

I also quite like the BNW clustered luxury placement.

Cool, now we only need an updated infoaddict :)

I'm not sure that any maps are necessarily "terra" though, certainly not from Thal's comments... Let's see.

Does this version of PerfectWorld fix the graphical bugs with terrain appearing on the edges of the map? (Tile displaying Mountain is actually plains, etc.)

This plays more like Continents Plus than PerfectWorld. It's basically C+ with ocean rifts to ensure 2 distinct world areas, and better looking terrain patterns. The ocean rifts make astronomy more important than in C+. The resource distribution should be the same as C+, and the "all on one continent" thing is an advanced game option, not standard. If there's any features from C+ you'd like to see in this, I can work on that. :)

@Brannock
I have not seen that, but I will keep an eye out for it.

I see the features are a little unclear so I'll give more detail. :)

This is basically Continents Plus Plus. It creates several large continents and many smaller islands. Start locations and resources appear the same as most other maps like Continents, since most maps share the same start location algorithm from AssignStartingPlots.

One big flaw of Continents Plus was islands bridge major continents, allowing ancient-era ships to traverse the globe and meet everyone long before Astronomy. I solved this by adding rifts similar to the Atlantic Ocean separating the world into 2 main pieces. Players normally start everywhere like in Continents Plus. There exists an advanced game option to cause all players to start on the largest landmass for people who like Terra-style maps, but the default setup spreads people everywhere.

This includes my code to spawn 1 Isle for every 15 coastal tiles, an adjustment I made to several other maps in the past. It also includes better-looking terrain from PerfectWorld's wind-based climate patterns. The big flaw of PerfectWorld is it creates terrain in dramatically different proportions from the standard game like more rough terrain (forests and hills). I solved this by carefully analyzing the percentage of each terrain's occurrence on multiple generations of the Continents map so Communitas closely matches standard Civ terrain generation. These maps are approximately 30% land, with the land comprised of:

Spoiler :
25% freshwater tiles

05% hills
30% flat grassland
25% flat plains
10% flat featureless desert
05% oasis/floodplains desert
10% flat tundra
03% snow

20% forest
10% jungle
03% marsh

@albie_123
Yes, that's likely what I will do next. Resource placement is the same for all maps because it's handled in AssignStartingPlots, independently from map scripts like this one.

So if we choose the "terra" option, the map will be very crowded? In other words: We have to adjust the number of players manually to reach a somewhat normal density of starting positions on "Eurasia"?

I haven't played terra much. I don't know for certain. I suspect you could try a large-size map with standard-size player count (8 civs 16 citystates) and the "all on largest continent" option. I will improve that option of the map in the future if it needs enhancements.

As my first run through of this, I got about 15 oasis tiles clustered together over a relatively small area (one city would have had about 6 of them, another had 5, and another 3). There was a good deal of emptier desert elsewhere, and plenty of flood plains.

I had plenty of horses. Lower quantity of hills/iron was probably from all the desert, but I think it also has to do with the default resource spread.

Luxuries weren't bad though on the spread, mostly a big cluster of gold, gems, citrus, and some incense/cotton thrown in on the continent.

Bobert13 has made multiple ghosting fixes in the PerfectWorld3 thread.

I've tried the fixes back in June and did not encounter any ghost mountains. However, I did see an increase in coastal mountains, though, I'm not sure if that was in the base version of PerfectWorld3 or was as intended.

Do you know if Cephalo included the fixes to his main file? I know he reduced his activity because he got a child, but I've seen him appear from time to time in the thread.
EDIT: Just saw that those fixes are very recent work and among the last posts in the PW3 thread...

To be honest, I haven't played PW3 that often in Civ5 because the main author wasn't very active and there were some unanswered bug reports. And of course because Thal recommended his customly adapted continents plus script, which was a great map, too. Did play dozens of Civ4 BtS games on PW maps however, and I really loved the natural look.

Do you know if Cephalo included the fixes to his main file? I know he reduced his activity because he got a child, but I've seen him appear from time to time in the thread.
EDIT: Just saw that those fixes are very recent work and among the last posts in the PW3 thread...

To be honest, I haven't played PW3 that often in Civ5 because the main author wasn't very active and there were some unanswered bug reports. And of course because Thal recommended his customly adapted continents plus script, which was a great map, too. Did play dozens of Civ4 BtS games on PW maps however, and I really loved the natural look.

Yeah, the fixes were pretty recent and if Thal figures a more elegant fix to the oasis issue and the coastal mountains then it'll be perfect(world3).

Definitely an oasis issue - deserts tend to be about 30-40% oases. Makes cities on desert just as good if not better as those without desert (not even considering Petra ultra-deserts) and makes the movement on deserts way easier.

There are several issues with the Communitas map, namely oases taking up half of the desert tiles on the map and strange, lone jungles in plains and desert. (In one of my maps there was also way, way too much jungle in general but the next map didn't have this problem.)

The jungle and marsh issues could be solved with Bobert13's fix where he describes "the blatant band of marsh/jungle on the equator. Literally a two tile wide band circumnavigating the globe." It could be that in that specific game, the majority of your land ran along the equator.

Any chance we can get the map script as a distinct file? =)

Thanks for the information about recent updates. I wasn't aware PerfectWorld3 had issues; I had not played it much in the past. I got the solutions yall linked into our version now. Those links were perfect! I also replaced the original oasis code with my own code, which appears to have solved the oasis problem.

Thanks for the information about recent updates. I wasn't aware PerfectWorld3 had issues; I had not played it much in the past. I got the solutions yall linked into our version now. Those links were perfect! I also replaced the original oasis code with my own code, which appears to have solved the oasis problem.

Thanks for all your hard work! Is this the updated file? I would like to try it out since the ghost mountains really bug me when I'm playing on that map.

Top Bottom