Communitas map script

Thanks, done.

I just thought it might have changed after you separated the map from the mod

I posted an update to fix the ocean rift mistake. If we don't find any other serious bugs, I will upload the map to the Steam Workshop soon. :)

Thanks! And I agree: If no major bugs show up within the next 2 or 3 days, I'd upload it. It's great! Still, I'd give it two days for testing, there's nothing worse than making such a great work public and then you get tons of angry comments due to a simple typo :rolleyes:

Regarding gameplay experience on Terra:
The starting continent is really filling up fast. It feels very thrilling, you definitively have to pump settlers out to get those sweet spots between you and your neighbours. I guess it's the combination of tight map and increased AI expansion flavor. I might come to the conclusion that it's a bit too early to have almost no unclaimed land between me and the two closest AI's, but for now I find it interesting (middle of classical era).
Strangely, the AI shows very little aggression so far, even as I grabbed luxuries away right under their nose. Everyone's still friends with everyone. We'll see how long this lasts after I declare war against China, which currently splits my empire in two parts and holds most of the strategics.

I've found AIs hide their true feelings if you have an alliance. They say to my face they're happy, but actually harbor deep jealousy for the territory I control. The discontent reveals itself if the alliance disappears. :lol:

Most negative modifiers (red text) are hidden between friends even with AI with low deception flavors. However, all bets are off when the DoF expires.

As for the AI aggression, the AI take into account trade routes before making a DoW, especially if you're the only thing keeping them afloat. So if you see the AI with negative GPT and you're feeding them trade routes or they're sending you their trade routes then they are less likely to make a DoW.

EDIT: Also, the AI is more aggressive during the mid to late game when ideologies come into play and the AI has more reasons to hate each other.

Offtopic:

In BNW it's no big difference if I wait for them to attack me, right? The diplo hit is for conquering the city mostly, even if it is the result of a defensive war? The actual DoW is less important in diplo terms than it has been?

Offtopic:

In BNW it's no big difference if I wait for them to attack me, right? The diplo hit is for conquering the city mostly, even if it is the result of a defensive war? The actual DoW is less important in diplo terms than it has been?

This is correct to an certain extent. The warmongering points gained by conquering a city is usually greater than the points gained simply by a DoW in the early game only.

EDIT: I should clarify, you gain warmongering points from a DoW (2.5) or capturing cities (see formula in the link). You lose points over time (.05/turn) and from liberating cities (see formula in the link).

The formula for capturing cities (and liberating them) is based on the map size, the current number of cities in the game, and the number of cities the captured city's owner owns.

From: http://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/1i1q7l/keeping_one_ai_city_alive_no_longer_spares_you/

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Or at least take into account the number of units you killed, tiles you pillaged, number of turns you been at war? That goes on the to-do list, no? :)

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Or at least take into account the number of units you killed, tiles you pillaged, number of turns you been at war? That goes on the to-do list, no? :)

This would cause the AI to hate you and think you're a warmonger for killing their units during a defensive war. It would probably be relatively easy to implement through the DLL since the AI already keeps track of their losses for peace negotiation but it's hard to judge the circumstances of the war from just their losses.

Do we have this discussion going on somewhere else already? If not, I'd suggest opening a thread for it, this one is bloated enough as it is ;)

Sorry for starting this topic here in the first place!

I seem to be getting a TON of Iron/Horses in my recent map. Just in 3 cities I had 8 Iron and something like 6 horses. After taking over a rival areas, I'm at something like 13 iron and 12 horses 0.o

I thought CEP reduced the spawn of strategic resources?

Edit: I'm not playing Catherine :p

Had a look at your script and some parts are nice but the settings doesn't seem to work as intended. I tried with wide atlantic and pacific rifts and I got a puzzle of small continents randomly strewn about. With normal rifts I get a narrow trench between the continents that looks like they just split apart. That might have been your intention but I think there is too much landmass for the map. I have a few ideas that I think would improve the map:

1 Fewer and bigger continents with more ocean between, so you can't see the other continent from your side. But keep the island chains, since they are a nice touch.
2 Change the tileset to Europe or let players choose which tileset they want. The Africa tileset has bleak colors and is not pleasing to the eye.
3 Less massive mountain areas and more spread to hills. It might not be super realistic but it's good for gameplay to have access to hills or you can't compete on higher difficulties.

2 Change the tileset to Europe or let players choose which tileset they want. The Africa tileset has bleak colors and is not pleasing to the eye.

The code to change this is located at line 564:

PHP:
	contArt = {}
	contArt.OCEAN	= 0
	contArt.AFRICA	= 3
	contArt.ASIA	= 2
	contArt.AMERICA	= 1
	contArt.EUROPE	= 4

The map uses different tile sets for different features so if you want to replace all instances where it uses the African tileset with the European tileset then just replace:
PHP:
contArt.AFRICA	= 3
with:
PHP:
contArt.AFRICA	= 4

Thanks for explaining that. I start to like this map now but there are just a few things that I'd like to change if it's possible.

* I would like to have less and smaller lake systems because the map has too much of them in my opinion. It's a nice touch but I think it should be a more unique feature.
* More grassland in temperate areas. I can't find a setting for grassland.
* More luxuries on other islands than the starting continent(Terra). I see only 1 or 2 luxuries on other islands.
* A wider and curvier Atlantic rift without a strip of land in the middle.

More luxuries on other islands would be very nice if possible. Love the map overall though, thanks for making it.

Hi ya

Just starting up a game with the map now. Looks sensational. Was wondering if there is anyway to get more than just two continents. I play continents/continents plus and there's always only two large continents and nobody ever gets an island start. I'm not looking for an island start I'm just looking for a way to play a game with more than 3 continents at all??

Hi ya

Just starting up a game with the map now. Looks sensational. Was wondering if there is anyway to get more than just two continents. I play continents/continents plus and there's always only two large continents and nobody ever gets an island start. I'm not looking for an island start I'm just looking for a way to play a game with more than 3 continents at all??

I would also be very interested in this, just for the sake of variety at least.

Top Bottom