Competition Mechanics

You'll get a lot of willing people, quite a lot of qualified ones, but time and energy are the dealbreakers. maybe you could get a team of database managers instead.

I had an idea as to how the contestants of the decade achievement polls could be calculated:

All of the relevant yearly winners are entered (i would prefer it if it is a contest of people, and not a specific graphic, but i am biased since my pitiful german medieval set was the only yearly winner i ever had- if people are chosen then we can have as a representative of them one graphic they select, or is proposed by others) and also the winner(s) of the relevant festivity "lesser" contests.

For example if person X has not won a yearly, but he wins a pcx contest of the festival, he has the right to be entered in the decade achievement award. Lets say X wins in the city contest, X has not won a yearly but now can enter the decade achievement award with any graphic of his (of relevance to the type of the award) he chooses.

In this way the decade award can have up to 5+8=13 contestants (it will probably be a bit fewer in the end due to double winners). This is a good strategy in my view. Also i suggest we have only one decade contest per supra-category in the databate (eg one for ALL pcx gfx, one for ALL units etc) since there is no room for entries of considerable numbers if there are more such polls, and also the decade award should have an air of totality.

I've been following the discussion in all the threads and taking notes when away from the computer for the last few days. Think I've worked out something that will address the legitimate issues everyone has raised while finding something we can accomplish within the timeframe that will be satisfactory for us & present us well to CFC as a whole. It will take some time to write it up in a clear concise way. Planning on accomplishing that & posting it this weekend.

On the specific point of 25+ polls there are various ways to handle it. One way would be to treat them as one poll - take the top numbers regardless of which section they come from.

A multi-option poll(s) then?

My 2 cents:

Take a poll for each "Best Of" per category per year as a "Semi-finals". Each poll should include the 12 monthly winners per year per category, as well as the top 13 "Write-in" entries for that same year. Take the 25 entries from the 250 (25*10) with the most votes per category for the "Finals".

This does give the previous winners a decent chance, even if the artist isn't around anymore, and allows others to write in the non winners they like, even if that artist is themselves.

The large number of past winners may create a problem.
Take a poll for each "Best Of" per category per year as a "Semi-finals". Each poll should include the 12 monthly winners per year per category, as well as the top 13 "Write-in" entries for that same year.
IIRC there have been months where there were ties. Hopefully that wouldn't result in more than 25 entries. OTOH with the currently proposed division of categories in many cases there will be more than 13 slots for "write-ins". Should we allow more or just have fewer nominations in that category? Deciding the write-ins for each category will require a poll.

In the latest list there are 29 categories including 22 that cover the equivalent monthly contests. Here's how many polls this proposal requires - C being the number of categories:

1. Establishing "write ins" for the categories where there have been monthly polls: C x 10 . Given the currently proposed list that's 220 polls.
  2. Semifinals for all categories: C x 10 . 290 polls.
  3. Finals: C . In this case 29 polls.
That's 539 polls for us to participate in.

By comparison having one nominations round and one finals round for each categories: C + C . In this case 58.

There is a lot of extra clerical work involved in this kind of proposal as well. Assembling the lists of monthly winners needs to be done. There is the hall of fame to base this on, but does it's completeness need to be checked? Nominations for the write-in polls in categories where there are no monthly polls will require keeping track of which year all the items nominated were first posted. There will need to be a single point of responsibility in order to avoid / resolve disputes. Tracking the results of 539 polls and assembling them into the threads needed along the way is a tremendous amount of work as well.

Just offered as food for thought.

See >here< for a simpler proposal. Sorry that all this is getting cross-posted, but the two subjects are intertwined, it seems..
Links are better than double posts. The threads inevitably overlap. OTOH, imagine how tangled the discussion would be if there were only one thread.

Okay, my proposal has sat on the table for a week (in the Categories thread) and nobody has commented. Silent assent? If it's to be done, it has to start now, with a Graphics Nominations thread. Meanwhile, we'd have to decide how a jury is to be picked, and start a Decades Award Logo contest. So who makes the executive decision?

I'll volunteer to do what I can, but I have no idea of how to do a poll (never had to before). Anyone else interested?

The original release date of vanilla Civ 3 was October 30, 2001, no? Is it being timed so all contest ends on that day, or should it begin that day instead? If it starts on the anniversary day, it would give us a bit more time to get things ready. But I suppose the decade contest might make more sense ending on the anniversary day with the winners known and cheered during the decade party?

Either way, it's probably best to make this not too complicated of a task. I read through and it sounds pretty good as is. I'll try to go through a bit more detail this weekend... need to get some sleep right now!

The original release date of vanilla Civ 3 was October 30, 2001, no? Is it being timed so all contest ends on that day, or should it begin that day instead? If it starts on the anniversary day, it would give us a bit more time to get things ready. But I suppose the decade contest might make more sense ending on the anniversary day with the winners known and cheered during the decade party?

Either way, it's probably best to make this not too complicated of a task. I read through and it sounds pretty good as is. I'll try to go through a bit more detail this weekend... need to get some sleep right now!

It would be nice to get anything made up to Oct entered, but do we what the contest ending if January or February of next year.

It probably is best to get the preliminary polls started now to get the final polls in Oct or Nov.

It would be nice to get anything made up to Oct entered, but do we what the contest ending if January or February of next year.

It probably is best to get the preliminary polls started now to get the final polls in Oct or Nov.

I agree, & I'd like to put up the first nominations thread by Monday. It'd be nice to get some sort of official go-ahead. Pounder, could you help or advise me with the polls?

I agree, & I'd like to put up the first nominations thread by Monday. It'd be nice to get some sort of official go-ahead. Pounder, could you help or advise me with the polls?

I will help.

Maybe you could compile the lists of entries for each poll and I could use those lists to post the polls.

As long as we have names and links and previews for all nominations, we should be good to go.

Are the polls going to be open for 7 days.

I will help.

Thank you, Pounder. Welcome aboard.

Are the polls going to be open for 7 days.

The Plan & Categories are both posted >here<. Accordingly, each poll will be open 20 days: from the 5th through the 25th of Aug, Sept. and October. I think the first nominations thread (July) should cover:

Best Terrain Set
Best Graphics: LM or Overlay Terrain
Best City Graphic
Best Splash Graphics
Best Map
Interface Graphic Award
Best Leaderhead
Best Tutorial
Best Utility

The nominations thread in August would be for the categories Best Historic Mod/Scenario through Best Unusual Unit, and the September thread would cover the remainder. Any objection? Speak now...

Maybe you could compile the lists of entries for each poll and I could use those lists to post the polls.....As long as we have names and links and previews for all nominations, we should be good to go.

That's why I put 10 days between the time the nominations thread closes and the Polls open each month. Since I can tally as the nominations come in, that's actually enough time to do it myself, or (preferably) delegate the task of compiling links (& image) for each to volunteers. Anyone who wants to volunteer for this task can step up now as well, I guess.

Any thoughts on the wording of the Poll Question.

Some examples:

Which is the Best Terrain Set of the Decade

Which is the Best Terrain Set of the Decade 2001-2011

Which is the Best Terrain Set for 2001-2011

Best of the Decade 2001-2011 - Category: Best Terrain Set

Other suggestions

Should I we make a Poll for this?:)

Edit:

My suggestions would be:

Maybe for the Thread Name >>> Best of the Decade 2001-2011 - Category: Best Terrain Set

Maybe for the Poll Question >>> Which is the Best Terrain Set for 2001-2011

Does anyone know the maximum number of characters you can have in the Poll Question?

------------

Top Bottom