Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Mr.WorldWide

Smugly Inferior
I got a 16GB flash drive for $20, and honestly, buying another accessory shouldn't be an issue, everyone should already have at least one flash drive of appropriate size.

In my previous post I was thinking more of a external USB optical drive w/BD capabilities. That will definitely send you over the $30 mark.

I guess I didn't make that clear.

Nothing wrong with keeping a handful of USB flash drives around though. :p

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
I can make out "Team Fortress 2" and "Steam" and "uTorrent" so I think there are English letters

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
Is there a good way to remove all multimedia decoders from your system? I installed a decoder to try to get a video to load into VirtualDub but then everything began to conflict even though I uninstalled it. So I'd like to remove most all codecs from my machine and put them back to default settings.

The Device Manager thing I read aout doesn't work. It just shows High Definition Audio Device.

Narnia

Prince
Photoshop messed up the metadata for several of my pictures (mostly shutter speed). How do I fix this? There are 3 pictures that are all listed at 1/4000. I need to change one of them to 1/1000 and the other to 1/80. Thanks

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
Question: How are burnable blu-ray disks for secondary backup and large files? Currently I'm using DVDs but it is getting a little ridiculous the amount of them. I looked in a store and the disks are something like $1.50 - $2 each but you need to buy them in a pack (I divided the price by the amount of disks). And the burner itself I can get for under a hundred dollars if I look in a good place. Currently I'm saving up for a program but after that I am thinking about it. Is it good idea? And if I wait a bit will the prices get better?

hobbsyoyo

Deity
Question: How are burnable blu-ray disks for secondary backup and large files? Currently I'm using DVDs but it is getting a little ridiculous the amount of them. I looked in a store and the disks are something like $1.50 - $2 each but you need to buy them in a pack (I divided the price by the amount of disks). And the burner itself I can get for under a hundred dollars if I look in a good place. Currently I'm saving up for a program but after that I am thinking about it. Is it good idea? And if I wait a bit will the prices get better?

It's a good idea if you don't trust a back-up external hard drive. Prices will always get better on everything, it's not much of a reason to wait if you have need and the current prices isn't extreme.

A better idea might be to look into cloud storage.

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
It's a good idea if you don't trust a back-up external hard drive. Prices will always get better on everything, it's not much of a reason to wait if you have need and the current prices isn't extreme.

A better idea might be to look into cloud storage.

Well I do have an external drive and an offsite backup already. I'm more or less looking into the secondary thing -- you know, three backups, two different mediums, and one offsite. The second backup is taken care of with DVDs but at the moment the amount of DVDs I'm using, is bordering on the ridiculous.

Optical storage is dead.

*shrug* Not for me.

cardgame

Obsessively Opposed to the Typical
Zelig, it seems you're a few years ahead of everyone else here ;)

But weren't you defending XP in another post not long ago?

Mr.WorldWide

Smugly Inferior
Optical storage is dead.

You wish.... I'm predicting that optical disks will be around for at least another decade or so. Uncapped high speed internet just isn't as readily available as you think or is so much more expensive that it's not cost effective.

Mr.WorldWide

Smugly Inferior
External hard drives and flash drives don't require an internet connection.

I do use USB or a second HDD for backups, I was speaking of optical media in general which to my understanding was what Zelig was talking about when he said "optical storage". DVDs and BDs are forms of optical storage.

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
Well the reason I was looking at the Blu-Ray disks is because the price per gigabyte isn't really too bad. (The discs are $1.50 - $2.00 each, depending on specifics; each disc has 25 megabytes. So that is about 6-8 cents a gigabyte, which are not bad compared to usb drives in the area stores. (Can't order online, don't have a credit card, long story.)

Zelig

Beep Boop
You wish.... I'm predicting that optical disks will be around for at least another decade or so. Uncapped high speed internet just isn't as readily available as you think or is so much more expensive that it's not cost effective.

If I lived somewhere without highspeed internet, I wouldn't bother watching tv or movies. Or I'd pay for someone who lived in a non-awful location to mail me drives filled with media.

Last week I just gave away my entire dvd collection for free, because it was essentially worthless to me.

Well the reason I was looking at the Blu-Ray disks is because the price per gigabyte isn't really too bad. (The discs are $1.50 - $2.00 each, depending on specifics; each disc has 25 megabytes. So that is about 6-8 cents a gigabyte, which are not bad compared to usb drives in the area stores. (Can't order online, don't have a credit card, long story.)

That's pretty horrific compared to HDDs. HDDs are well under 0.5 cents per gigabyte, a solid order of magnitude cheaper.

Something like Crashplan runs you $4/month for unlimited cloud backup.

Top Bottom