Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Sorry, I'm referring to something like this in conjuction with a large HDD vs. simply using something like this.

I don't really know that much about computer hardware, apologies for any confusion I cause.

Do you have UAC enabled on your Vista? Since it isn't just IE, my next guess would be it's UAC being hyperactive. Though I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "blocks" in this case. That is, if you didn't already find a way to fix it in post 3781. (Kind of curious what NTFS setting would cause this if there was a solution there)

Since nobody seems to get what I'm talking about, here:

How do I turn this off by default? Messing with the UAC didn't seem to help matters (plus I prefer to leave it on by default), I don't have group policy manager (I've only Home Premium), and I don't feel confident enough to use the stream editor :(

By the way: One time something went weird with a file and it lost the timestamp information and it reverted to, I think December 31, 1969. Actually more than once. Why that specific date? I assume theres something to do with an integer but I'm curious.

So I accidentally deleted a file and sent it the recycling bin. I then accidentally deleted it from the bin by clicking delete instead recover. I tried to recover the file using Recuva to get it back, it found it but Windows took the liberty of changing the name of the file and encrypting it or something like that. It got renamed to "$I66053MM" and it can't be opened. So I was wondering what that means and why it was changed.

Since nobody seems to get what I'm talking about, here:

How do I turn this off by default? Messing with the UAC didn't seem to help matters (plus I prefer to leave it on by default), I don't have group policy manager (I've only Home Premium), and I don't feel confident enough to use the stream editor :(

By the way: One time something went weird with a file and it lost the timestamp information and it reverted to, I think December 31, 1969. Actually more than once. Why that specific date? I assume theres something to do with an integer but I'm curious.

Hmm, that beats me. I don't think I've ever seen that happen. Sorry. :(

For the timestamp, January 1, 1970 at midnight is "zero" in Unix time. So, if a timestamp gets deleted somehow, or reset to zero, there's a good chance that any given system will interpret the timestamp as 1/1/1970 at 00:00:00. But, since you are west of the Prime Meridian in Greenwich, the time zone correction makes it 12/31/1969 at 17:00 or so instead.

So I accidentally deleted a file and sent it the recycling bin. I then accidentally deleted it from the bin by clicking delete instead recover. I tried to recover the file using Recuva to get it back, it found it but Windows took the liberty of changing the name of the file and encrypting it or something like that. It got renamed to "$I66053MM" and it can't be opened. So I was wondering what that means and why it was changed.

Recuva looks for deleted files' remains, but information about the file such as its name might not be available anymore, since it was deleted. So, it might have to give it a new name. And it might not know what the file extension is. So, for example, if it was a Word document, you might need to change its name to "MyAwesomeFile.doc". But you'll need to know what the extension actually was beforehand. Once you do that, hopefully, it'll work as expected.

That's the good case. The bad case is that it can't be opened because it was partially overwritten by something else. This is a danger whenever you do anything that uses the hard drive, even a tiny bit, after accidentally deleting a file - which is pretty much anything that uses the computer. In which case, you are probably out of luck.

Just change the file extension back to to what it used to be. ie for a picture change it to .jpg or .png for a text file it would probably be something like .txt

*edit* I just saw Quintillus already voiced what I was trying to say.

Depends what you mean by overrated. It was a glorified service pack whose main feature was "it's not called Vista".

However: if both are available there is little reason to choose Vista over 7. XP and 7 still have their place.

Pandora Recovery has worked wonders for me. I once even managed to recover files off of a reformated hard drive with it. Free download off of cnet

Is it possible to partition and reformat a hard drive in a computer that only has one hard drive without removing it from the computer? If so, how? Thanks

Yes, just boot from something else.
If you have an installation/recovery medium of an operating system, the option should be easily accessible soon after booting from that.

If you don't have one, get one. Linux for example is freely downloadable, all you need is a blank medium (CD, DVD, flash drive...).
Edit: May be overkill or not the most suitable option. that depends on particulars (e.g.: do you already have a working operating system installed, if yes which one, what you want to format things as, are you paranoid over leftover data...).

Why are progress bars so unreliable? Not just the Windows ones (copying and moving files are especially bad for this), but other ones, like installation or whatnot. I don't think I've ever seen one that's not prone to getting stuck at a certain percentage and then jumping around.

Many are less progress estimations than assurances that things are being done, please don't kill the process.
An inappropriate use, but on the whole people react more positively to them than nothing or simple throbbers.

Even those that aren't dishonest by design often amount to the same thing - making the guesses about remaining time accurate enough to be useful would take effort, and standards are low.

Top Bottom