Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

But that's giving it what it wants! Here in 'murica we don't negotiate with terrorists.

Well, that IS bloody obnoxious.
I'll do a little dance of joy the day software companies stop trying to annoy their users into doing something.

An issue has cropped up after I received a bunch of updates for my Windows 7 machine Home Premium 64-bit. An extremely annoying "Get Windows 10" ad has popped up in my icon bar. The problem is, I have to repeatedly set it to "Hide icon and notifications" after every single computer start up. It forcibly resets itself to "show icon and notifications" behind my back every single time I shut down and/or restart my computer.

How do I force it to stay at "hide icon and notifications" when I shut down or restart my computer?

You get it to go away by upgrading to Windows 10. Why wouldn't you want something that's not only better than what you currently have, but also costs you nothing?

You get it to go away by upgrading to Windows 10. Why wouldn't you want something that's not only better than what you currently have, but also costs you nothing?

We go forward to defend freedom, and all that is good, and just in our world.

Ideally, that would be a good thing. However, since fresh releases of software and OS's tend to be riddled with bugs and glitches, I'm one of those folks who do prefer to wait awhile just in case, to allow the nastiest bugs to be fixed first. :)

Ideally, that would be a good thing. However, since fresh releases of software and OS's tend to be riddled with bugs and glitches, I'm one of those folks who do prefer to wait awhile just in case, to allow the nastiest bugs to be fixed first. :)

I just haven't clicked on it, and told everyone in my family not to click on it, not really a big deal.

I'll do my own PCs probably the weekend of August 9/10 to avoid patch Tuesday on old Windows. Upgrade family PCs at end of August when I see them next.

I wonder why I haven't got that pop-up yet. Is it random?

Is your windows fully up to date and genuine? Also I'm not sure there's a popup unless you click the icon in the system tray, I've never seen a popup on any of my PCs.

Is your windows fully up to date and genuine? Also I'm not sure there's a popup unless you click the icon in the system tray, I've never seen a popup on any of my PCs.

Thanks, it's appeared now, I hadn't installed the optional updates from the last month.

Suppose someone had to be an administrator for a ~500 student school's PCs. He's got no experience on the job, but knows the usual everyman computer things and there's one month time to learn all the necessaries.

What should he do? (i.e. what should he read, on which subjects should he focus on etc.)

You're asking for a friend, eh? :)

Yes! :D

EDIT: The scenario isn't real, but it is potential, that's why there's no specifics on the OSs and such.

Please help!

I want to sell my old laptop so I reinstalled Windows. Now the stupid moron pc's screen looks like a mess as it is the wrong resolution. It should be at 1300xsometing but the highest option in the place where you should be able to change it is like 1xx0..something. The color setting is true color 32bits. I don't know what to do. It seems like driver problem but I don't know which one. I've tried many thing but I can't find the right thing. I have anger management problems sometimes and I guess that my family is not happy when I get mad while I yell and try to fix the resolution. Why can't computers even sometimes work like they should? Life is too difficult..

Thanks.

Last weekend I installed a wireless bridge. I gave it the ip-address 192.168.3.1. My primary router's ip is 192.168.1.1. Everything in my network works great except I can't access my bridge. I can't ping it nor access it from my browser, looking which devices are connected to my primary router doesn't give me the info I want nor does the tracert command. :sad:

I'm no expert but I think bridges are invisible to devices on the network, so you won't be able to access it via its IP address.

I'm no expert but I think bridges are invisible to devices on the network, so you won't be able to access it via its IP address.

I fixed it already. The problem was that a device with an ip address of 192.168.1.x is on a different subnet mask than 192.168.3.x and can't connect. When I change my pc's ip so it's on the same subnet mask I can login.

In Gimp, there is the Colors>Info>Smooth Palette. But the results is ugly as hell, and the colors are randomized in a bizarre pattern. How do I force it to go from dark to light, left to right, in a gradient instead?

Has anyone else had recently the case of repeatedly crashing Firefox?

I do have the updates installed (OS is Ubuntu 12.04). Just wanting to know if this is something particular to my machine or a common phenomenon.

Top Bottom