Concern for Brazils Battleship?

Other possible UUs: Bandeirantes (musketman); Independence Dragoon (lancer); Fatherland Volunteer (rifleman); Sertanista (infantry); Pracinha (infantry); A-29 Super Tucano (fighter); Candango (caravan). [/INDENT]

Unique caravan sounds pretty cool. How do you think that would work? Bonus culture every time they move?

1 Movement Point slower?

Actually the only significant advantage that Minas Geraes possessed was cruising endurance. Her endurance range was 10000 nmi at 10 knot, way better than her foreign conterparts at the time. Did Firaxis intentionally design the UU to be the exact opposite of the real ship, I wonder.

If historicity comes first, Minas Geraes class would be weaker in defense and possess better movement range than ordinary battleships, and can only be purchased (with lower price than battleship) but cannot be built in one's own city.(because unlocking the civic in no way enables Brazil to build it in their own shipyard, it just justifies the reason to purchase it)

It's also a bit weird that the UU is actually unique--that is, there was only one of them. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another UU where, historically, only one of them existed.

It's also a bit weird that the UU is actually unique--that is, there was only one of them. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another UU where, historically, only one of them existed.

Two actually, the Minas Gerais and São Paulo. A third, Rio de Janeiro, was contracted but cancelled. But your point stands, we have yet another reason for why this is such a bad UU choice.

Unique caravan sounds pretty cool. How do you think that would work? Bonus culture every time they move?

Culture, Growth and/or Production. I believe some of the following effects would provide for interesting gameplay, while being historically accurate:

Note: they should only affect internal trade routes.

• Destination receives +x% Growth for each Citizen in the origin city;
  • When a trade route expires, 1 Citizen is transferred from the origin city to the destination, but only if the former have at least X Citizens and is more populous than the latter;
  • Destination receives +x% Production towards any building or district that already exist in the origin city;
  • When a trade route expires, a builder with 1 charge appears in the destination;
  • Destination receives +x Culture for each Citizen in the origin city.

I think Fireaxis has put some more emphasis on the importance of naval supremacy this time. If that`s right, a naval UU can be very powerful indeed.....

I really hope that the reason why both Brazil and Germany have naval UU's is to gave way for a more appropriate Units that is tied to respective civ's additional leaders. I really hope firaxis plan this out well.

. Is there any UU not the original creation of the civilization it belongs to besides this one? Please remind me if there is.

In the civ serie: Welsh longbowmen? Danish norvegian ski infantry? (my favorite). I'm not sure about who invented the ship of the line, England, Spain or France.

From gameplay perspective this UU is really good. It's culture instead of science and it's focused on defense. Perfect fit for Brazil.

Does it fits its actual characteristics? Probably not, but so do most of other UUs.
Are there more famous units for Brazil? Yes, but UU are not necessary most famous and developers need some UU rotation.

I don't see any problems here.

In the civ serie: Welsh longbowmen? Danish norvegian ski infantry? (my favorite). I'm not sure about who invented the ship of the line, England, Spain or France.

The most common ship of the line, and possibly the first ship designed primarily to serve in a line battle, was a 74. Original design was French.

Oh sure, nobody was denying that. I was just trying to answer George Abitbol's question.

The most common ship of the line, and possibly the first ship designed primarily to serve in a line battle, was a 74. Original design was French.

Thanks. I know there was a race between french and english navies in the 17th century, but I guess english ships of the line were superiors due to their more disciplined crews, and perhas more competent commanders.

Concerning the brazilian battleship, I like it. Brazil is not a huge naval power (well, actually they have an aircraft carrier!), but I consider it like a defensive unit suitable for a coastal empire. And I'm happy with more naval UUs in civ6*.

Also, the model is gorgeous. I wish it was the basic unit for the battleship.

Thanks. I know there was a race between french and english navies in the 17th century, but I guess english ships of the line were superiors due to their more disciplined crews, and perhas more competent commanders.

Ship of the lines came a bit later, the 74 was in the 1730s and the bigger three deck ships came after that. I guess their peak came around the same time as Napoleon.

Many, many reasons why the British navy was superior but it essentially boils to: 1) having a bigger merchant navy to recruit sailors from and 2) maintaining a world class navy was a higher priority for England.

I don't see what is wrong with this unique unit:

It represent a part of Brazil history and a part of military history (South American Dreadnought race).
It may not been amongst the most powerful but it may had greater impact because having such ships pretty much give great power status or atleast regional status. The taditional major powers would have so many ships already that non of them could be considered as important for their history as this class of ships for Brazil history.

Of the Brazil choices of unique unit you could say that this one best represent the quest for military dominance, as it have a more offensive role then most of the infantry unique units. As you are very likely to want to use you unique unit aggressively I think it is a good choice to pick an aggressive one.

Most important is that civilization VI is a game and don't represent real life history. A unique battleship become especially unique as no other civs get a unique battleship.

Didn't the ABC powers (Argentina, Brazil, Chile) engage in a sea power armaments/technology race a hundred or so years ago? This ship would make sense in that context if the other rivals were present in the game. Perhaps in time...

From my understanding of it, their purchase signified Brazil'S arrival on the world stage since only a handful of nations had dreadnoughts as powerful as these two ships. It certainly raised alarm bells in America and was a point of pride among Brazilians of that time. The designers really nailed it with their unlocking via nationalism civic and their use as defensive ships since that was how they were used.

The designers really nailed it with their unlocking via nationalism civic and their use as defensive ships since that was how they were used.

But what if you don't pick the Nationalism civic? Can you have acces to the regular battleship unstead?:confused:

Top Bottom