Conquests: Advice on New Game

I wish to make a point about the value of unconnected cities in Feudalism. I notice that since I am on an island, and want to prevent civs from landing on my island, that I can put any unit on the edge of my island and prevent the AI civs from landing. However, the cheapest unit to build for my connected cities are workers, and I lose one population for those. The cheapest non-worker or settler unit is longbowman, which takes many turns to make or 2 people in forced labour to make. However for unconnected cities, I can make units in fewer turns, so if I dedicate a city near a food resource to making warriors and pikemen, then I can create one every 3 or 4 turns and substitute those warrior units for the worker units or strong musketman units I am currently forced to use.

Disconnected cities have no luxuries and higher corruption. That is no good solution. A better solution is to disconnect the resource, in the given example it is iron.

I would like to mention that workers and other units without defence value can be attacked from sea by regular military units such as warriors. In prior versions that was different. As AI has not been adapted to that change it might not make a difference for you.

Ah perhaps you are correct, I should really observe how the AI interacts with my workers on the borders. How is it possible to disconnect a resource like iron from a city without disconnecting it from all of the other resources?

One more thing: Since opponents can capture workers with their troops on your borders without leaving their ships, can they also capture cannons in the same way?

Regarding barricades, is it true that pieces situated on barricades will automatically shoot enemy forces in its vicinity? Or does that only apply to artillery situated there?

Is there any advantage for building barricades on the edge of an island? Will artillery positioned there shoot ships passing by it?

You can use a military unit like a warrior to pillage the tile with the resource. It might be convenient to bring workers with you to rebuild the mines or irrigations and also the road once that is desired once again.

On a strategic note i like to advise against building many inferior units. Obviously spamming out warriors for military police is an efficient strategy in Despotism and both absolute monarchy and feudalmonarchy. As a republik however that will not work and even with military police it is sot that in the long run not production but commerce is the bottleneck, therefor yu will habe enough strongr units anyway. In early to mid medieval age you should be able to build about 2 to 3 knights per turn by regular means.

Regarding AI trying to land on your shores it is often convenient to let AI land those units, but to only let it do it where it suits you. Once they dare to land crush those units. This allows you to decimate the military of the AI one by one and if you are lucky your units get promoted and if you even get MGLs you military strenghts increases dramatically. Once you have experienced units and near unbeatable armies conquests become much easier.

My understanding--and how I've played--is that war weariness is gone after 20 turns with a particular opponent. I am often wrong about things, but occasionally I'm right. That link is from 2003, so later patches may or may not have changed things. Or maybe the difference is too close to notice in casual play.

This is the same length as peace treaties, so for Republic warmongering I try rotating wars and honoring peace treaties. Feudalism should work the same way with respect to WW.

My understanding--and how I've played--is that war weariness is gone after 20 turns with a particular opponent. I am often wrong about things, but occasionally I'm right. That link is from 2003, so later patches may or may not have changed things. Or maybe the difference is too close to notice in casual play.

This is the same length as peace treaties, so for Republic warmongering I try rotating wars and honoring peace treaties. Feudalism should work the same way with respect to WW.

Yeah the WW slowly goes down each turn after you've signed for peace. So if you wait 20 turns it will be completely gone again, but if you dow again after 10 turns it will only have been decreased by a certain amount and will begin to increase again from that same number.

So if you wait 20 turns it will be completely gone again,

The math suggests otherwise:

The "problem" with still sufferung from ww after 20 turns of peace is to have "enough" ww points in the first place. You need to have 31 war weariness points to notice any disadvantage and if AI declares war on you, than you lose further 30 points. So you need much more than 120 war weariness points to still suffer from it after 20 turns of peace. You need no less than 135 or 220 war weariness points at the end of the war to still have level 1 war weariness after 20 turns of peace:

Code:
R00: 135
R01: 135 - 8
R02: 127 - 8
R03: 119 - 7
R04: 112 - 7
R05: 105 - 7
R06: 98 - 6
R07: 92 - 6
R08: 86 - 6
R09: 80 - 5
R10: 75 - 5
R11: 70 - 5
R12: 65 - 5
R13: 60 - 4
R14: 56 - 4
R15: 52 - 4
R16: 48 - 4
R17: 44 - 4
R18: 40 - 3
R19: 37 - 3
R20: 34 - 3 = 31

R00: 220
R01: 220 - 12
R02: 208 - 12
R03: 196 - 11
R04: 185 - 11
R05: 174 - 10
R06: 164 - 10
R07: 154 - 9
R08: 145 - 9
R09: 136 - 8
R10: 128 - 8
R11: 120 - 7
R12: 113 - 7
R13: 106 - 7
R14: 99 - 6
R15: 93 - 6
R16: 87 - 6
R17: 81 - 5
R18: 76 - 5
R19: 71 - 5
R20: 66 - 5 -30 = 31

Yeah the WW slowly goes down each turn after you've signed for peace.

Just to clarify: If you sign for peace, WW goes away immediately. But within like 20 turns it will be back there, if war resumes.
(I guess this is what you meant. But not what you wrote iirc.)
t_x

Just to clarify: If you sign for peace, WW goes away immediately. But within like 20 turns it will be back there, if war resumes.
(I guess this is what you meant. But not what you wrote iirc.)
t_x

Yeah, well said! That is what I meant but it wasn't clear. It's like a meter that continues counting, but has no effect unless at war. As soon as a state of war is once again entered, it applies at the level it's at.

Top Bottom