Conquests: Fall of Rome strategy/tip thread

But, but... you need to take out the Romans. Otherwise they win by VP. Don't bother with the others.

You can use the cash for upgrades. Just build cheap Raiders, and upgrade them to Warlords...

And, you always earn your VPs by warring. Only on the very low levels the locations matter at all (since the AI won't come by with enough expensive units).
And, I do not know which level you're playing, but turn 100 is pretty late to start a war with Rome. Note the Romes will also make a lot of VPs once they start fighting the weaker AIs (and you need the AI at least for WRome). It also is completely counterproductive to kill off the other tribes before Rome is gone.

Anyway. It is your game, have fun; but, don't confuse lurkers, your strategy is completely against the spirit (well, that IS a matter of taste) and against any advices on how to win on an appropriate level ;).

thetrooper said:
But, but... you need to take out the Romans. Otherwise they win by VP. Don't bother with the others.

I stated that I was on my way to East Rome through the visigoths.
Otherwise, I would not ever reach them.
Funny they have 22500 when I have about 7500 and rising..
I may end up killing units and cities faster than the Roman "empire". :lol:

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
You can use the cash for upgrades. Just build cheap Raiders, and upgrade them to Warlords...
Well.. right, but I just started to be whealthy, and I'd hate to disconnect a city with barracks.. I will probably do some upgrades like this, but I can still stay on my 50% lux.
I have now over 30 warlords, with 2 armies of (4) warlords, 1 army and tons of warlords in production.

The game wouldn't change drammatically with such costly upgrades, but again, to become a war machine, you are right :p .

Also, DocT, I'm playing Emperor, and starting nowhere near any Roman empire.. so since turn 100 doesn't give me much room, I will try and sweep through East Rome.

I've played this one through once, on Monarch as the Anglo-Saxons. The basics that apply to all the barbarian races have been covered, so I'll just point out a few things I noticed.

The A-S are well placed, especially with regards to WRome. You can hit Britain and their more northern European cities fairly easily. Use the Franks to your advantage, by letting them be a buffer between you and Rome. Get an ROP and alliance with the Franks and you can pretty much pick the Romans apart with impunity, while those legions content themselves with wiping out Frankish cities instead of yours.

Western Rome declared wra on me at turn 35, a little earlier than I would have liked, but I did have a couple of brand new pillagers at that point, so not too much off my intended timeline. By turn 40, they had Eastern Rome against me, too. Thus, I did have a good bit of time to hit both empires before they reached the VP limit. WR was knocked out of it at turn 72. I'm speculating that 35-40 turns is a reasonable, if not typical, length of time to knock them out on Monarch, attributing myself no serious deficiency or particular genius in military affairs ;). I then sent my forces flowing east along the Aquincum road, and they were able to get to Eastern Rome in time to take/raze several cities, including Thessalonika. ER collapsed when the Sassanids took Cappadocia in turn 96, but wouldn't have lasted long anyway, with my columns approaching Constantinople and Athenae. This is to give a rough time structure for those who don't know what to expect from the scenario.

With the Huns and Sassanids in the east, you're going to have more help with ER than WR, so unless playing one of those or the Ostrogoths, my initial focus would go to WR. As I said before, use other barb civs as cushions if possible. The Huns and A-S are best positioned to do this, but the Vandals can also do it to an extent with the Franks and A-S in the west and the Visigoths in the east. You can always go back and fight the other barbs, and kill more expensive units by doing it later, but the Romans need to go ASAP.

Take excessive force into the Roman empires. That way, when it collapses, you can grab the majority of the victory locations and still have a significant army to send to the next target.

Unlike the epic game, you can't have too many spearmen. All unit support is free under Tribal Council, so go ahead and slip spearmen into your build queues whenever you can for homeland defense, and to hold victory locations. Founding a city empty, then getting a unit to it when you can is a much dicier proposition when losing 8 eliminates you.

Until the advent of heavy cavalry, you don't have a unit that can both keep up with migrants and provide adequate defense, so employ a spearman chain while expanding. Go ahead and start moving spearmen out to your proposed city spots, always keeping at least one in your border cities, so your migrants can catch up to them, instead of be slowed down by them. Also, use the chain effect to basically get two moves out of your defenders. Move spearman A into the city spearman B is currently guarding, then send spearman B along the route you had intended for spearman A. Repeat if possible to get them out there even faster.

Not a strategic comment, but my hat's off to the scenario designers for creating a map that really reflects the bloated behemoth staggering along under its own weight and living off past greatness and the dawn of upstart new powers eager to take its place. The fortresses that look like they once may have been strategically useful to Rome, but are now best used by the barbarian tribes defending against the legions are a big part of this, as are the swaths of unoccupied land in the general Roman territory. More than the other scenarios, the map gives the right feel for the period.

Well..

After the visigoths, I got close to Roman territory, and declared war on East Rome on turn 107, making pacts with EVERYONE (except West Rome) to fight them off.

At turn 110 East Rome had exactly 30000 VP (lacking only 5000).
At turn 111, I took constantinople and the Sassanids got their gift city.
At turn 118, both east and west Rome were at 7 lost cities, and I entered both empires, deleting them off the map! :cool:
At turn 119, I reached 30000 VP myself, and still needed a quick victory..
At turn 122, I decided on the Franks.
Turn 130 - The Franks are deleted, and I win on the 131th turn!

In short, the VP locations were not really used to achieve victory, rather the points from being the one destroying the 8th city of some civ.. that's a buggy thing (for example, the vandals took all credit for the Visigoths death because they killed their 8th city).

Screenshot of my Hun empire below (I also passed 20% of land area :goodjob: ) :

Attachments

• Youwin_FoR.jpg
    Youwin_FoR.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 378
You don't get much that credits for destroying the 8th city. In fact, you "only" get the VPs you'd get from killing all their remaining units.
So, killing off a gassed Civ will yield like 200VPs, no big deal.

However, if you manage to get 8 Roman cities on Sid, and Rome never fought anyone else (=tons and tons of legions)...see the RBCiv game.

Congrats.

Nice work boogaboo :goodjob: . Huns are an interesting play :cool: .

Solomwi said:
Not a strategic comment, but my hat's off to the scenario designers for creating a map that really reflects the bloated behemoth staggering along under its own weight and living off past greatness and the dawn of upstart new powers eager to take its place. The fortresses that look like they once may have been strategically useful to Rome, but are now best used by the barbarian tribes defending against the legions are a big part of this, as are the swaths of unoccupied land in the general Roman territory. More than the other scenarios, the map gives the right feel for the period.

No question -- whoever put this scenario together really did an amazing job. I played my first time and it is really great.

I especially like any Mod or conquest which changes the basic epic game nature (which I find is expand at all costs based). This game gives a nice historical feel, is exciting, and challenging. Kudos!

Breunor

Ok so I've played this scenario a few times, firstly as the Vandals, and then as the Visigiths, Franks, and Sassaninds. I destroyed Rome too late to win my first game but managed to pull off a victory the other times. My favourite civ to use is the Franks, although this has nothing to do with any advantage they may have, it's just that I did the best with them, and so they get to be my favourite.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this conquest. Building up huge masses of Pillagers and Warlords and sending them rampaging through the civilized world was really fun. I had to revise my tactics after the first game though. I had originally just gone on all-out attack mode, and was soundly beaten. Without waiting and planning your attack thoroughly, it is quite hard to get enough VPs on time. Also, I find that my other barbarian allies are less than reliable (although I expected no less).

I'm currently re-playing all the conquests on higher difficulty levels, and so I'll be getting to this one soon, probably as the Huns. Well, Atilla's hordes await. Ciao, e buonna fortuna.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
They can. Especially Franks and Celts, since AI WRome tends to settle new, badly defended cities in reach of them.
Onw thing is important, though: Your Barbarian allies need a longer period of peace in the early game; otherwise, they can't get enough cities up, and especially don't connect sufficient resources (Iron!). And without Iron and Horses, the cannot overcome the Legions.
True that. I suggest relying on the only barbarian half-build Civ, the Celts. I'm playing as the Celts now, and with my first wave of mauraders, and then a heck of alot Pillagers I drove the Romans out of England. But there is only one way to take the rest of rome after that, land invasion. Or just send the Franks in. Then Rome will sign alliances with other barbs once you declare war on you, so build embassy's to make aliances.

I started as the Vandals by building ten cities directly north of the West Roman Empire.

I started on Regent mode with the AI as agressive. What does this do? 2 of the AIs (Sassanids and West Romans) ganged up on me, and the AI's didn't fight eachother.

What is your strategy for Vandals? I wanted to put my cities along the northern border with Rome. About 430 Rome attacked me unprovoked. I set all my cities to building migrants so I could make my 10-12 cities. Then once I had built them, I switched to Warlord, whose combat strength has 8(9).2.1 What does the number in parentheses mean?

The Celts were the first to build scourge of God, even though I put its production in one of my strongest cities and built mines around that city.

I'm attaching my last savegame so you can see.

Attachments

• Gaiseric of the Vandals-Vindelicum recaptured by Rom, 470 AD.SAV
    316.3 KB · Views: 74
In the last weeks i tried to achive victory with the huns in Fall of Rome. It was on Emperor level, and now it succeeded, with lot of luck though. I made at least 6 or 7 tries before that.

The main problem with the huns was that they are very far from both roman empires, and getting into attack range was problematic. Firstly i tried to fight through the ostrogots, but they had a stiff resistance, and called in the rest of the germanic tribes agains me, and quickly turned the advance to defensive. By repelling the hordes of warlords time simply ran out for the romans.
In following tries i made better armies, better economics, and carefully allied with other german tribes, to avoid that break, but rasing strong enough cities also resulted in time running out. Also my attacks on both the ostrogoths and the Byzantines were hampered by simple logistic, the roads that would lead to enemy cities were occupied by Sassanid, or other allied, neutral armies, and i could move, just 1 tile/turn.

Also, he distance the huns have makes warlord armies impractical, because they spend most of their existence en route, instead of fighting. Using them only for defense is practical, since they generate some marauders that can be upgraded, but it leads to no victory since that requires attack, destroying cities. Heavy Cavalry armies are fast enough to get there in time, but they have only a 5 attack agains the 4 defense of the legions. This makes them too weak, a much larger army is needed to take any cities, reinforcment disruptions make a halt to any offensive, and also a city with a barack is required on the battelfield (in Asia Minor) to regenerate the often redlined cavs.

The successfull strategy was to settle the hun nation in the caucasus, just sout-east to the ostrogoths, partly on their territory, i took the furs they had there, and also their iron, without any war. This was i was much closer to the Byzantines, which allowed warlords to get there in time. Also, any nation, especially the Sassanids when wage war against barbariens have to go thorough the country, which can be used to warlord/capture, or gate them in, and then on the retour - off. Also a right of passage allows them to go parallel to our troops, and avoid movement blocks by staying in a single road.

Even more important factor was, that this location has access to both seas, and i could build galleys to both of them. The presence of galleys can remove the logistical problems related to the warlords's slowlyness, and the occupied roads, this makes it possible to suddenly wreack havoc on cities in Asia Minor, or even Italy, since there is an open sea way to there.

(I moved these posts from the general conquest scenario forum, and also will remove those)

I made the scenario again with the huns. I play always on emperor.
This time i stayed in the original location.

There were 2 major version of tries, the first one with horseman rush. I picked the strategy used in the succession game linked above, where they use city placement so, that they don't have to build temples to extend cultural borders. If 2 citiy just positioned parallel, and their distance is 3 squere, then the cultural border jumps over to the middle squere too.
In the first idea i made just the basic police force as raiders, then make 2 worker, and a barrack, then i started pumping out horsemen.
These were collected, and used to dominate the ostrogoths, in the early ages.
Problem is that the horsemen are weak for this purpuse, even raiders with a single defense point can make a problem to them. I hoped that barbariens cannot make higher than 3 def units, and also early game is dominated by raiders, it will work. But not really, they had horrific losses. I had stop in the first conquered city, and upgrade them to heavy cavalry. Things went much faster then. Then 2 separate try from this standpoint, 1 where i killed visigoths too. This failed, by roman VP victory some 10 turns after i maneged to get rid of the visigoths.
Then 2nd version, i made alliance with them, and right of passage. I sent all my heavy cavs to the w romans. The army conquered one city, Aquincum, then i tried to look for other targets, but their strenth was few, and the romans gained VP victory with 2 or 3 cities lost only.

Next i changed to unhistorical. I made a marauder rush first, but later i changed to pillagers instead. This was partly made through building marauders, then upgrading them to pillagers. Pillagers ran over the ostrogoths. Now i learned from previous games, that visigoths are a very useful allies against romans, so i made alliance, and rop. Moved on Aquincum, and destroyed another roman city to the west. Aquincum was kept, and used for further upgrades, and healing of units. The second produced team (first one generaly the same the took out the ostrogoths) turned south, and run on byzantine cities just south of the visigoths. I also allied with the celts against the west romans. Another alliance was made with the Sassanids agains byzantine, so they turned back their 40+ horseman army, and started fighting against byzantine cities. Vandals, Franks, and Anglo-Saxons were fighting their own war against each other. I called in one of them, but didin't noticed any activity agains the romans. Celtic help was very important, without them i would have been unable to finish off the romans.

After the roman's fall it was realtively easy. I switched production from warlord to heavy cavalry,
and used the existing warlord armies to hit visigoth cities. HCs from upgrading stockpiled horsemen was used to eliminate the visigoth attack force, which was at our gates then...
After the fall of the visigoths immediately moved all standing heavy cavalry to west, into position against the franks, vandals, and celts.

There were sea operation Overlord against the sassainds, but a strength collector action before that. I found a barbarien camp on the right shores of the sea. It had over 40 horsemen there. I dispatched a warlord group to convience them to join... which was a great success, i collected at least 20 marauders there. They were transported to the hun coastal cities, upgraded, and then put ashore later. These warlords took out the sassanids at the endgame. I won with vp reaching 35000, but it was just before end of the game, 11 turn. I also elminated the franks, vandals were en route, and also the celts had lot of undefended cities on the Atlantian coast, i went through them with a calvalry army, but i won earlier to finish them.

...Bumping this thread (sorry! Don't taze me, bro!) to add something that I just discovered yesterday, which doesn't appear to be noted anywhere, and which annoyed the hell out of me.

I'm playing this Scenario for the first time, as the (randomly chosen) Anglo-Saxons, at Emperor. I founded all my initial towns with the starting Migrants in place; the additional Migrants moved 3 tiles to found their next cities at distance 4 (CxxC) or so, all subsequent towns followed this pattern. This was possibly unwise (not least because 1 town ended up being CxxC from the Frankish capital, which I didn't find out until after I'd founded it): I quickly got boxed in by the Franks and Vandals, 'forcing' me to also start colonising Britain (and Norway), just to get hold of Iron (which of course all the AI-Civs had 'known' where to find, and founded towns accordingly).

So I focussed on building tall, and researching through the tree as quickly as I could -- but this wasn't quick enough (even though I skipped Sacking, to pre-build the Scourge of God instead). To make up for my tech-deficit, I consulted CAII to find a tech that no-one knew, and instructed my Sages to work towards it: Fortification. It took me ~12T, during which time W+E Rome got it, and so did the Sassanids -- but no-one else. "GREAT!" I thought, "Now I can trade it with the other Barb-Civs for Currency and Polytheism (and probably a stack of gold), and get myself into the next era before they do!" So I duly called up Mr F4, only to find out that I couldn't #*+%$& trade it for anything!

EDIT:

I do not understand why this should have occurred: I have (now) checked the .biq in the Editor, and only the 'Roman' and 'Barbarian' techs (needed as prereqs for the 'culture-specific' unit tech-lines) are flagged as 'untradeable'. But by getting to it myself, I'd made it that much easier for the other Barbarian-Civs to research it themselves, which most of them duly did, thus reaching the second era before me.

Spoiler How the game's going to date... :
I got the last 2 techs reasonably fast though, and also the second-era tech that gives Heavy Cavalry -- which was lucky, because a few turns after that, the Franks DoW'd me... So right now I'm trying to fend off Frankish Warlords and their enslaved Marauders with Heavy Cavalry, Spears and Pillagers (my few autoproduced SoG-Warlords are already dead -- but at least they gave me a GA, which might save me).

So far, they've lost 2 small towns (autorazed), and I've lost my city near their capital. Not sure if that counts as 'permanently' lost for elimination-purposes, or if I can cancel out the loss by recapturing it -- after I've reconnected the Iron that the Franks just lost. I suspect I'm going to get overrun though: if so, I'll bag this attempt and start again, just building Horses and Raiders/Pillagers, and DoWing the Franks before they learn Sacking...

(When E.Rome DoW'd me for refusing to give Theodora my TMap earlier on in the game, I probably should have bought the Franks into an Alliance to weaken them, since I was intending to attack them eventually anyway -- like I recruited the Celts to fight the Carthaginians on Rome's behalf, in RoR. Problem was, I didn't have much spare cash at the time -- because it was all going into research...)

Last edited:
In this scenario - no time to loose!

Ed Beach, BreakAway Games

I have played all civilizations except for the Huns. My personal rank:

1. Franks
2. Vandals
3. Ostrogoths
4. (Sassanids)
5. Celts
6. Anglo Saxons
7. Visogoths

Sassanids in parenthesis as they can´t follow the barbarian tech tree (unless you succeed in "steal technology").

Grab some decent land and research as fast as you can along the barbarian path:

Barbarism: Raider 2/1/1
Marauding: Marauder 4/2/1 Collateral Damage (to targeted tile)
Pillaging: Pillager 6/2/1 Enslavement (worker); Collateral Damage
Sacking: Warlord 8/2/1 Enslavement (marauder); Collateral Damage
Barbarian Leadership: Scourge of God (Wonder) Creates Warlord every 5 turns; Allows larger armies; Increases chance of military leader.

Tech trade like crazy (contacts and WM for roman techs).
I expand until I get Pillagers, then build them en masse. About this time Western Rome usually declares war on me. Send Pillager stacks (8-10) to the nearest VP locations. Raze the cities unless they fit your building pattern. Fortify the VP locations and build fortress there. Bribe the other barbarian civs into war. Why do I prefer the weaker attack of the pillager (6) compared
to the warlord (8)? Because they enslave the enemy (33%) and give you a worker (Don´t waste your own population). Your goal is to weaken w and e Rome (remember their victory points every turn). Pause if you run out of momentum (demand techs for peace treaty). 8 cities down is enough to wipe out a civ. Keep an eye on F8 - the victory status screen. Your pillagers and warlords are attackers, their defence is bad. Keep at least two together for "bombardment" when attacked. Once you have destroyed the romans, go for the other barbarian civs and track down every VP location on the map!​
he Vandals thread for it.
The URL link is to the Fall of Rome as East or West Romans is gone. How can I get the Everlasting_Rome.zip scenario in 2024?

You could have a go at making one in the Editor, using the details in this post:

@SuedecivIII also made a YT video where he played this scenario as West Rome, so he might still have that .biq, if you ask him nicely?

For some reason, I never noticed this thread. And I begin to think: shouldn't this be in the Strategy forum, where all the other "Conquests guides" are?
Maybe we should even have a subforum of the Strategy forum for all the strategy guides dealing with the Nine Conquests? There is quite a lot of them. What do people think?

Top Bottom