Continents (& other?) mapscript bonuses placement

In "World", the maximum bonuses in a cluster on large map size is 4 I think.
I just tried the new svn, definately an improvement in clustering IMHO, though the maximum bonuses seem to reach 5 on large map size.

Tin seems to miss out mostly because its placed late and there's no space left for it at that point. There is a minimum distance between similar bonuses, so there's no space left for tin that is far enough from lead, gold, silver, resin, obsidian, manganeese, fine clay.
I think there's way too much obsidian and lead placed so I'll reduce that a bit, maybe that will allow tin a place in the sun, unless those will just be switched out with gold and silver, may have to reduce those a bit too.
Tin is back in the game, yei!
But I don't know if this affects the presence of bronze (I meant to say copper), it looks even rarer now, many times I found a continent without bronze (copper that is), and on one occasion no bronze (copper again) in either continent (I ran about 10 map regens or more).

Last edited:
But I don't know if this affects the presence of bronze, it looks even rarer now, many times I found a continent without bronze, and on one occasion no bronze in either continent (I ran about 10 map regens or more).
Do you mean copper? Bronze is not a map bonus.

This is the same unit that will build the first city right?
It would be a unit of a type that could build a city once sedentary lifestyle is achieved. They can grow in population and split and send out gatherers and hunters to bring in more yields from the world around them until then, and the game should theoretically be playable without cities at all, though maybe not in a truly competitive manner and it would require a great deal of diplomacy skill when the borders start closing in.

Really? I meant playing as the inland empire myself not the AI. Plus 1 in 10 was too high? That means currently I would need hundreds of AI until I get a single inland empire. Could it at least be the same chance of vanilla civ? The game should be a challenge and coastal tiles shouldn't be handed out like candy IMHO. Besides if everyone starts by the coast, then what incentive is there for other play styles?
You know... what would be nice is if you could set the mapscript to randomize, select a coastal start, or select an inland start. There are some games when I care and others when I don't. Sometimes I'd prefer one or the other but being able to choose might be nice. Some games I'd prefer to reload the map if I'm not on the water. Just depends.

Bronze requires Copper and Tin. Keep in mind y'all, Tin sources are few and far between on Earth. Like 2 sources exist if I'm not mistaken.

Yes I meant copper, sorry.

Bronze requires Copper and Tin. Keep in mind y'all, Tin sources are few and far between on Earth. Like 2 sources exist if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, tin is rare but at least 2 resources exist in real Earth, and also I wouldn't call this mod an exact simulation of real Earth conditions. And I'm sure copper isn't that rare (like tin I mean).

My point in all these mapscript notes I give is that I'd like for some 'democratisation' of at least the strategic resources, so that most of the players in a game (AI or not) are to have them. I remember a year ago playing a game with one sulphur bonus in my entire continent, and it was mine. That meant no rivals as soon as I got to the rennaisance era. That's why I prefer the copper sources to be close to the number of players in the game, and most of the strategic resources anyway. They can be a reason for war between players, and that's always extra fun in the game, but there's no fun when only one player gets it all.

Last edited:
Really? I meant playing as the inland empire myself not the AI. Plus 1 in 10 was too high? That means currently I would need hundreds of AI until I get a single inland empire. Could it at least be the same chance of vanilla civ? The game should be a challenge and coastal tiles shouldn't be handed out like candy IMHO. Besides if everyone starts by the coast, then what incentive is there for other play styles?
Agreed, I've enjoyed the few inland starts I've been handed.

Not sure what the chance was in vanilla civ...
You know... what would be nice is if you could set the mapscript to randomize, select a coastal start, or select an inland start. There are some games when I care and others when I don't. Sometimes I'd prefer one or the other but being able to choose might be nice. Some games I'd prefer to reload the map if I'm not on the water. Just depends.
I could add a map option to adjust the value of the start plot coastal value modifier.

Yes, tin is rare but at least 2 resources exist in real Earth

Tin isn't actually that rare. The main ore cassiterite is found in quite a few countries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassiteritehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassiterite It still is uncommon though hence why it is a conflict mineral in the Congo.

This here also shows how much reserves are left and the current major producers as of 2016.
Capture[1].png

Tin.jpg

Needless to say that according to some estimates the world may run out of tin within 40 years, 20 if mass extraction and consumption is larger than expected.

Top Bottom