Conversion of civ5 maps to civ6

Krajzen

Deity
There were many amazings maps created for civ5. Will there be a possibility to convert them to civ6 without creation from scratch?

Yeah I know there will be different civs, resources, natural wonders, but map fundaments - hex tiles, features on top of terrain, terrain types - are going to be the same or similar. Ability to convert basic terrain and features of maps would make porting all these Earth/real life maps a lot easier.

Whether it'll be integraded into the game I'm unsure, but it will definitely be possible one way or another. The ability to convert civ4 maps into civ5 maps popped up really quick if I remember correctly and those two games had the added disadvantage of translating a square-based map into a hex-based one.

Shouldn't be hard at all.

Whether it'll be integraded into the game I'm unsure, but it will definitely be possible one way or another. The ability to convert civ4 maps into civ5 maps popped up really quick if I remember correctly and those two games had the added disadvantage of translating a square-based map into a hex-based one.

Shouldn't be hard at all.

Jesus Christ, from civ4 squares to civ5 hexes? How?

If this was the case, then I hope it will happen again from hex system to hex system

Jesus Christ, from civ4 squares to civ5 hexes? How

Pretty sure you could just import the map files into the civ5 Worldbuilder. It redraws the maps and you save it as new file. I think I did it once or twice but I honestly forget how because I stopped messing around with civ5 long before Gods & Kings was even announced.

I also vaguely remember a community developed tool for doing it as well. So whether official or not it should easily be possible.

The most I bothered to search was that this feature was announced before civ5 before it even released;

Jon Shafer: You can import Civ 4 maps into the world builder and convert them into Civ 5 maps, including all the units and cities and stuff on it — the conversion process will just do that for you automatically. We’re hoping that the first week Civ 5 is out, people will use that function and port all of the Civ 4 stuff over to Civ 5, so everything will be out there already.

I imagine, if included, it will be talked about when they discuss the moddability of the game in the coming months.

Jesus Christ, from civ4 squares to civ5 hexes? How?

If this was the case, then I hope it will happen again from hex system to hex system

Well, the hex-based maps are actually encoded as grids, so translating one-to-one is easy, it's just that with hexes, every other row is shifted a half-tile to the side. That means a lot of stuff ends up in weird places, creating unwanted blockages and chokepoints, etc. It's actually not that bad, but I've learned that it's better to just remake the map from scratch if you want a highly accurate map.

Needless to say, hex-to-hex should be better on our end.

Well, they promised we could do that with maps from IV to V, and that never happened; so I seriously doubt it.

Earth maps especially are going to look a whole lot more interesting if they're going to be utilising some lesser known Natural Wonders like Torres del Paine, Crater Lake and Tsingy de Bemaraha.

Yeah, I remember converting maps from Civ4 to 5 back in the day. That ability came quickly within a month after the game's release. The output wasn't 100% accurate, of course, but really good enough to work with.

Map scripts should be easy to port. It was easy to rewrite Civ IV code into Civ V despite the different language (python->lua) and topology (square->hex).
The hardest thing wasactually the *@#! they did by removing the xml parts and forcing the code to handle resources in a hard-coded way. This part I hope will change back to something IV-like, where you can keep some default code for resource placement that doesn't care about each kind of resource.

Do we have an answer to this? There are some lovely maps for Civ V and the mapmaker for Civ VI seems a bit harsh.

Is there even a bmp to map for Civ VI?

You might be able to convert them, but can you play them? In my experience if you manage to load a custom map in Civ VI it strips out all the CSs (so all your envoys are useless).

Top Bottom