Convince me to buy it!

Don't buy it then. I couldn't care less if you got it or not. ;)

Here's the list of reasons why you should buy it: Warlords.
Here are some reasons why not to buy it: Disappointed, What is it good for?

I got it and I love it. Frankly, I'm tired of posts complaining about any game on message boards. There are always people who feel they got robbed because they don't like the game as much as they anticipated, and they feel they should bother an entire forum with their whinings. The truth is 99% of the forum visitors are happy with the game and post little (since they are actually playing it), while the unhappy purchasers are posting like never before. So here's my argument: We do not need another discontent poster, so don't buy it (especially if the money is a huge bite in your budget).

MacBryce said:
There are always people who feel they got robbed because they don't like the game as much as they anticipated, and they feel they should bother an entire forum with their whinings.

More common than that are posts from people who had false expectations of the expansion. I hate nothing more than people complaining that all the expansion has is exactly what is described on the outside of the box. Why would ANYONE expect to get more than what's advertised?? :rolleyes:

To the OP, like AfterShafter said, if you need "convincing", then don't bother.

My experience comes from the International Superstar Soccer / Pro Evolution Soccer series where every new release leads to most forum conversations slowing down because everyone is playing the game. The only threads popping out the first weeks are whiners who don't like something about the freshly released edition and need to let everybody else know that they, aruably the most important persons in the world, do not like the latest version and are consequently not playing it because it was not worth the money. Some of the Warlords threads are becoming quite similar, so I hope our friend here is not buying it because we don't need the follow-up thread.

(Maybe this'll work like reverse psychology but that's not my intention.)

And honestly, if you're only looking for more, more, more, you should download Sevomod. I don't like it myself but it's a great mod with a lot of extra content and a lot more than the expansion for free. Just don't come crying to this forum if SevoMod becomes Warlords-only.

More and more multiplayer games are going to be Warlords-version. Once you have Warlords, you can still play in vanilla games, but not vice versa.

Unless you don't play multiplayer, in which case, ditto the above comments. :)

There's really not dramatic changes to the single player game, but there are the scenarios, if you're inclined to play them.

IMO it's an optional buy for a little while, but if you are looking to Civ for a while, it's unlikely that there's going to be any patching to Civ IV vanilla (sans Warlords). Defect fixes, tweaks, and additions are going to be likely made on Warlords and subsequent expansions. And most mods are going to be foward-thinking and built with Warlords in mind.

-cc

The sheer joy of playing against the chinese and not seeing TEXT_KEY_LEADER_CHINESE_LEADER sticking half-way across the screen from the scoreboard is enough to warrant the purchase IMO. Also, I really liked the addition of Unique Buildings. Furthermore, I LOVE the university of Sankore. When I combine it with Spiral minaret, I can get a temple that produces two gold, two science, one :D , and 1 culture. Combine that with monestaries and cathedrals, and you can make 6 gold and six science PER CITY! I also feel that Vassalage is more useful than people think. Civ isn't just about building cities and units, it's about tearing apart other civs! You just can't get that sort of sick, masochistic pleasure in other games. Why simply kill a man when you can p!$$ on his face, have him call you master, make him fight all of your opponents and pay you 50 gold per turn for some fish? THAT is the glory of civ. Finally, to help justify the cost, it took me about six hours to beat one game on the chinese scenario. I bought the game by working for six hours at a pizza joint. I have also played two games, one as the Carthaginians and one as the Ottomans, both newcomers, that took about six hours. I have to agree with the complaints about the lack of units, for a game called WARLORDS, I would expect more than two units. Also, aside from the unique buildings, the only new building is the stable. And finally, for players who specialized in one civ, many of the leaders had their traits switched. For example my man Washington had his scientifically awesome Financial/Organized turned into Expansive/Charismatic. I've found neat strategies to use with the other civs and am doing fine. For example, with Hannibal, a combination of barracks, theocracy, vassalage, stables, and Hannibal's charismatic trait can produce Numidian cavalry that are quite excellent at pillaging cottages;) Even though I would prefer a promotion besides flanking, it can help them live to fight another day. Besides, with all those tempting XML files...:drool:

If you play Civ IV anyway, you'll get your $30 out of warlords.

I'll share my peeve about Warlords, and I wish there was a direct way to tell Firaxis: why is it that when an expansion comes out for a great, entertaining game that I have to buy a new computer?

I mean, when I bought my 900MHz computer, I had to think of processing power vis-a-vis purchasing power. I can play Civ IV to my heart's content any which way I want to. But then, the system requirements of Warlord require a 1.2G!

Is this some kind of "subversive" attempt on the game-makers to continually coerce computer owners and game players to go out and buy new computers?

Why couldn't Warlords have been "down-sized" to accommodate those of us who cannot afford to buy a new computer every month the same way they "down-sized" Civ IV?

Arggh!

I say don't get it. I didn't find it worth the money at all, and if you need convincing, then you won't either.

Wallisdj said:
I mean, when I bought my 900MHz computer, I had to think of processing power vis-a-vis purchasing power. I can play Civ IV to my heart's content any which way I want to. But then, the system requirements of Warlord require a 1.2G!

OMG!!112 Civ 4 requires a CPU that is less than six years old! This is criminal!!! :cry:

If you're going to use old technology, then you're going to have to play old games. ;)

When Firaxis and Sid Meier start giving me commission fees for every gamer I convince to purchase Warlords, I will be promoting this game like crazy!

I wrote a question to "Ask Sid"; received a reply that a number of games are being reworked (probably with patches) for Windows 2000 and earlier XP platforms. Noticed that Warlords was not included in that list in the E-mail I received (plus the one link they provided told me it did not exist).

I would have recommneded it but for the price, however, today I ran into a brick wall (see the "Another Reason Not to Buy Warlords" thread). So now I pay $30 to get "less" of a game. I wonder if the vanilla will work off the shortcut without being "corrupted" by Warlords, such that I won't have to do a reinstall of vanilla?

Top Bottom