Cool Pictures 14: no , it wasn't me who painted Mona Lisa

"They went thataway!"

penguin-holds-up-right-flipper.jpg

not posting much lately . Might come out as fishy .

20-03-2024.jpg

odd . What does the cat feel ?

20-03-2024c.jpeg

that's Felićette . The first cat in space . She was put to sleep some two months later , to study that electrode thing that had been permanently fitted . The Brazilians would have beaten the French into spacecat business in 1959 but American housewives mounted some terrific campaign to prevent that . Brazilians gave up rocket business altogether or something . THAT is what atomic bombs can do ...

yes , ı know we have a cat thread . But do we have a rat thread ?

20-03-2024b.jpeg

that's Hector , who beat Felićette into space . Compared to one of the 12 candidates . The French still had to face rumours that it was Felix , a male cat that would be the one , but he managed to escape in the nick of time .

seems Humanity can be tough on animals , who might like need to fight back or whatever .

20-03-2024d.jpg

just to prevent copyright issues from National Geographic ...

After posting about the Laurel Canyon playlist that Spotify put in front of me, I started looking at some of the photographs of Henry Diltz, who recorded many of the people hanging out together there in the late '60s - early '70s.

Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton and David Crosby at Cass Elliott's house, with Elliott's daughter, 1968.
Spoiler :

Linda Ronstadt, 1968.
Spoiler :

Eric Clapton and Mickey Dolenz, 1968
Spoiler :

Joni Mitchell, 1970
Spoiler :

Way back then concerts and such were actually casual. During a intermission of a Stone Poneys concert at Duke, I chatted with Linda R. for about 5 minutes. After a Jerry Jeff Walker concert at UNC, He and some of my friends, we all went to a party together.

Even in the '90s some musicians were quite casual. I went to an Irish Rovers concert and they said anyone who wanted to join them in the bar of the hotel they were staying at was welcome.

I don't drink and bars were non-oxygen atmospheres back then, so I went home (still pretty happy at getting their autographs, and getting several minutes' chat with Will Millar - I'd had a crush on him for about 25 years by that point, and he asked me if I played music).

After posting about the Laurel Canyon playlist that Spotify put in front of me, I started looking at some of the photographs of Henry Diltz, who recorded many of the people hanging out together there in the late '60s - early '70s.

Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton and David Crosby at Cass Elliott's house, with Elliott's daughter, 1968.
Spoiler :

Linda Ronstadt, 1968.
Spoiler :

Eric Clapton and Mickey Dolenz, 1968
Spoiler :

Joni Mitchell, 1970
Spoiler :

Now do a genealogy of John Mayall and who came through his Blues Breakers. That should keep you busy for a while. )

Moo.

cow-cake.jpg

Yet another cake that is far too cute to eat!

Plucked from the video games thread...
I've played another year of Hexagon City, and unlocked high-density zones. Unfortunately, unlike Sim City 3000/4 where you can just paint over low-density and let the property developer build bigger buildings when they please, Skylines requires de-zoning and thus destroying the low density. Le sigh.
That was called "urban renewal" in the U.S. I was just talking to someone about this yesterday or the day before.

Boston's West End, 1955 (it's where Leonard "Mr. Spock" Nimoy grew up):
Spoiler :
And in 1959:
Spoiler :
And today:
Spoiler :

Boston's West End, 1955 (it's where Leonard "Mr. Spock" Nimoy grew up):
Oh wow, those are pictures-worth-a-thousand-words images. There have been some similar "redevelopments" in the city where I live, most famously to make room for highways, but I don't know if any of them were nearly that large. The one I'm most familiar with was about one-fifth of the size of the West End in terms of number of families affected.

Oh wow, those are pictures-worth-a-thousand-words images. There have been some similar "redevelopments" in the city where I live, most famously to make room for highways, but I don't know if any of them were nearly that large. The one I'm most familiar with was about one-fifth of the size of the West End in terms of number of families affected.
Yes, the post-war, interstate highway system was a big part of 'urban development.'

Detroit:
Spoiler :

Cincinatti (coincidentally, this neighborhood was also known as The West End):
Spoiler :

Milwaukee:
Spoiler :
---

EDIT: When I was chatting with someone the other day about urban development, she asked me if any cities or neighborhoods had ever successfully resisted. I said I didn't know, but I supposed it must have happened. Then I posted those pics here. Then, last night, I was taking the bus home, which passed through a working-class, mostly-Black neighborhood. The local community college had a huge banner (like, 20'x40') celebrating its 50th anniversary on the side of a building, which read, "If it wasn't for community activism, you'd be on a highway right now." So that was a fun coincidence. The universe talking to me, so to speak. I guess the people of Roxbury must have fought and defeated an effort to build a highway there, maybe in the '60s. Go, Roxbury.

Last edited:
^^^ What medium is that? Paint?

Top Bottom