Cool Pictures IV: The Awesomeness is Volatile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler :

Check out the thunderhead near the center of the graphic. This is a seriously cool picture!

EDIT: Since many clouds are formed by rising columns of air, it makes sense that viewing them from a point like this they would appear to be "poking" up, since they are taller (sometimes much taller) than they are wide.

It's a shame the starry background is photoshopped.

PlutonianEmpire said:
The vast majority of space pics are photoshopped, I believe.

Is that so?

Is that so?
Don't most space probes have cameras that are only in greyscale? :confused: :dunno:

I'm guessing colorizing counted as "photoshopped", but guessing that was probably a mistake on my part. :blush:

EDIT: I know they have other cameras too besides the greyscale ones, I'm not stupid. :p

Right? :scared:

Don't most space probes have cameras that are only in greyscale? :confused: :dunno:

I'm guessing colorizing counted as "photoshopped", but guessing that was probably a mistake on my part. :blush:

EDIT: I know they have other cameras too besides the greyscale ones, I'm not stupid. :p

Right? :scared:

Well, yeah. Radio, infrared, sometimes gamma radiation. And visible light.

I know pictures are often in "false color." Dunno what that means though...

Well, yeah. Radio, infrared, sometimes gamma radiation. And visible light.

I know pictures are often in "false color." Dunno what that means though...
False color means that the colors you see in the pic are not the Real Life colors you would see if you looked at it with the naked eye, IIRC.

For example, a planet may appear to be red to the human eye, but a "false color" image means the colors of the same planet may be of a different color, sometimes multiple different colors, in order to highlight certain aspects of it, such as chemical make up, temperature, something that would otherwise be hidden from the naked eye, etc.

Hope I explained it all right. :)

False color means that the colors you see in the pic are not the Real Life colors you would see if you looked at it with the naked eye, IIRC.

For example, a planet may appear to be red to the human eye, but a "false color" image means the colors of the same planet may be of a different color, sometimes multiple different colors, in order to highlight certain aspects of it, such as chemical make up, temperature, something that would otherwise be hidden from the naked eye, etc.

Hope I explained it all right. :)

No sh**. :lol: I figured that alright, I was wondering what algorithm or method astronomers use to determine what colors to substitute. Thanks anyway. :p

You replace R, G, and/or B value(s) with IR, UV, X-ray, etc.

...and, ah, that makes sense. Combine all, or many, wavelengths of light to produce a "false color" image. Though I suppose it could be called "true color" because it's what we would see if our eyes weren't so limited.

EDIT: as a matter of fact, I believe my avatar is one of these "true color" images. :crazyeye:

(Posted in the hope that this hasn't been already done)

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

Spoiler :
What if Male Superhero' Customes Were Designed Like Female Superhero Customes?

(Posted in the hope that this hasn't been already done)

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

Spoiler :
What if Male Superhero' Customes Were Designed Like Female Superhero Customes?

That was mildly disturbing, not going to lie.

Rare Aerial Photos Of The Taj Mahal

No one has been allowed to fly over the Taj Mahal in 15 years, according to aerial photography company AirPano. But after presenting a proposal to the government and two months of back-and-forth paperwork, the Moscow-based company finally got permission to shoot the Taj from above.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazing-photos-of-the-taj-mahal-2012-7

Rare Aerial Photos Of The Taj Mahal

No one has been allowed to fly over the Taj Mahal in 15 years, according to aerial photography company AirPano. But after presenting a proposal to the government and two months of back-and-forth paperwork, the Moscow-based company finally got permission to shoot the Taj from above.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazing-photos-of-the-taj-mahal-2012-7

Another view of an amazing structure.

It's sand, sand, building, building. Quite a horrific urban buildup, if you must ask me.

That was mildly disturbing, not going to lie.

INHERENT SEXISM! What do you have against male protagonists in skimpy and useless costumes? :mischief:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom