[C3C] COTM 166 Iroquois Deity - The Remnants

MrRandomGuy

Prince
Long ago The Great Spirit sent to this world the Sky Woman. She gently descended from the heavens onto the earth. The Sky Woman gave birth to twins. The Good Spirit and The Evil Spirit. The Sky Woman died after giving birth. The Evil Spirit sucked the remainder of her life into him.

The Good Spirit used his mother’s face to create the sun, and her body to create one giant landmass. With his powers, life flourished and every creature The Good Spirit created was happy. The Evil Spirit created demons and darkness. When The Evil Spirit realized that the Good Spirit had created superior beings that rivaled the evil he created, the Evil Spirit grew jealous. The Evil Spirit sent fire, pestilence, war, disease, and death to attack beings made by the Good Spirit. Many died and the once green, luscious landscape became a barren wasteland. The animals that the superior beings befriended ran far, far away.

The Great Spirit awoke from a deep slumber and saw The Evil Spirit kill The Good Spirit. The Great Spirit became angry and struck The Evil Spirit down on top of some mountains. Then, the Great Spirit used an earthquake to divide the tainted land where the Evil Spirit fell and pushed it far away over the waters of the Great Sea. With one swift move, The Great Spirit used all of its power to attract the evil creatures The Evil Spirit made and destroyed them all. Weary from using nearly all of its power, The Great Spirit rose back into the heavens to sleep for a long, long time. So ended The Great Spirit War.

In the next COTM, you are Hiawatha, The Great Peacemaker who has united the remnants of his people with a common goal: survival. The Legend of the Great Spirit War is a tale told frequently among the Iroquois people, and a few things about the legend describe the world you are in. It is up to you to discover how!

Starting Location
cotm 166 Iroquois.png

Time Plan
The game will be released 1 January 2024
Submissions are due 31 March 2024

Game Release Page:

Social Media Amplifier:
@The_J @Blake00

Last edited:
Interesting introduction! Start location looks tough…especially on diety. Iroquois are agricultural and get an extra food from irrigated desert. This might not be too bad if fresh water is nearby. Will need many workers.

Gosh! You just made the China Regent game look very attractive!

I'm thinking of trekking around a bit before settling. Can really be it? Will water for irrigating the deserts come only through that hilly mountain pass?

I think I will waste a worker turn and have my worker climb a mountain for a better look and then decide where to move my settler.

I think I will waste a worker turn and have my worker climb a mountain for a better look and then decide where to move my settler

Yes, either that or move the Settler to the hill.

Perhaps it would have been a good idea to use the Fog of War function to reveal a larger portion of the map? We sometimes do in order to make outcomes less decided by luck.

I don’t think that is necessary. Exploring an unknown map is part of the fun!

Piu is coming from somewhere else: the XOTM is not a normal single player game where exploration is just a fun factor at the start of each game. it can also be an early decisive parameter in the competition. this latter aspect definitely should be lowered with regard to the luck factor of where one moves the initial units in the first turns. in a good game set-up, the exploration fun factor in general can be kept up and high.
t_x

It is January 1, 2024 in the Eastern and Central Time Zones of the United States and I still cannot download the game file. Please rectify this matter immediately or I shall file a complaint with the relevant authorities and demand a full refund of my entry fee.

It is January 1, 2024 in the Eastern and Central Time Zones of the United States and I still cannot download the game file. Please rectify this matter immediately or I shall file a complaint with the relevant authorities and demand a full refund of my entry fee.

:) Happy new year!

Still error loading file. HNY.
My copy of civ3 is corrupted. Can I play with GOG Complete?

Last edited:
But I can't download it on my computer... I get the answer, that the file is not available.

Edit: It works if I go over the submission page and click there to the game page, but not if I follow the link above. The target URL is the same...

But I can't download it on my computer... I get the answer, that the file is not available.

Edit: It works if I go over the submission page and click there to the game page, but not if I follow the link above. The target URL is the same...

I suspect it didn't work because at the time I posted it the game file wasn't available. I have edited the original post. Hopefully that fixes it. Good luck everyone!

Spoiler Opening moves :
[/SPOILER Opening moves to 825 BC. I decided to try to find a better place to settle than the barren waste land of the start. First I moved my worker to the mountain top to the east to look for a river to irrigate the desert. I spotted water directly to the north and moved my settler in that direction. Unfortunately, it turned out to be ocean. I decided to settle on the coast but in moving I spotted a lake to the north east. I settled between the ocean and lake for a total of 4 moves. My worker began irrigating. My first build was a curragh to explore the coast followed by 2 warriors and a settler. I quickly met China, Arabia, and Ottomans and later on all the other AI’s. I was able to trade a few techs. I researched writing and then philosophy. On deity I did not even try for COL to get the slingshot. Despite my best effort I was not the first to Philosophy. The AI’s were incredibly fast at learning techs and traded among themselves. I continued to build settlers and expand as fast as possible toward the south where there was rich land, food bonuses and luxuries. It turned out that my first settler moved completely in the wrong direction leaving my capitol on the very edge of my growing empire and in the middle of a dessert. It was time to abandon Salamanca and jump my palace further south to Niagra Falls, my largest city with cows, wine, and iron. Hopefully this will help the corruption problem and make up for the slow start.
Before palace jump.jpg
After palace jump.jpg
]

It is really unfortunate, that "luck factor" has such a big influence on the game: you moved your initial settler into the desert (even for 4 turns!) and then had to go through all the trouble of performing a palace jump -- I moved my initial scout on that other mountain, from where I was able to see the wines and the river, thought "perfect", moved my settler south and saw the two cows... So my capital started already in the right location, operated as 4-turn settler/warrior combo and I was able to quickly expand southwards, where all the good land and the luxury resources are.
So while you had a mediocre start and did not even get Philosophy, I had a great start which then snowballed even more as I got the full Slingshot (Republic for free, probably a couple of centuries earlier than you). And all this because of an unlucky first move with the scout! :(

Like @Lanzelot I went up the mountain and saw the splendor. TBH this was influenced by the fact that this was not purely random but designed by a deity with a sense of humor, so I figured that the start couldn't be that bad. Kudos to @LaSalle for the integrity of not reloading.

I made Salamanca a settler pump too and made Niagara Falls my production workhorse which is now getting an amazing 200 shields per turn. However now I'm tempted to reload myself haha as I've started an ill-advised war and was not prepared for the number of units the AI can brew up on Deity.

I made the right decision for the starting moves.
But I immediately stopped playing this game, in protest against the overwhelming luck factor in this game. :nono:
I raised this issue before, and I will never be able so see the point in releasing such an XOTM game...
t_x

Top Bottom