Covet your land and trade negotiation

pntran84

Chieftain
What is with the AI having covet my land from the start and such negative modifier suddenly entitle them only have uneven trade in their favour.

I can understand if I settle in close to their territory, but in most case I don't. It is more or less: because I said so. The worst offender is Shaka and then Attila. Upon FIRST meeting Shaka he instantly he already covet my land without know my territory (and no embassy exchange yet). It is utterly stupid let alone annoying. And being that he's warring civ, why not drag his army across the whole map and take my land. Stop with the "covet your land" .

Shaka sees the world as his before he learns his ABCs. Since he is naturally aggressive he will naturally covet your lands until better relations. Same with Attila.

Unless random personalities happen, Shaka will always covet your lands, and he'll even make sure you never forget it.

Whats that AI? You hate me because you covert my land, and the fact I've built 2 wonders?
Well BOO HOO! Yeah, I get a bit narked by this, as its always a downwards spiral from this point.

I dunno why the AI will covert my land when 95% of the earth is uncolonized, and everything I have can be grabbed somewhere else.:crazyeye:

AI generally is too quick to hate in this game, there's very little you can actually do to push a positive relationship.
I've never managed to finish a game without being denounced, no matter how peaceful I was and how few wonders I built. I never go wide either

Make them a really good offer and get the "traded recently"-modifier. "denouncing the same leaders" could be an option. It's always nice to have one or two civs being hated instead of you. Bribing others into war with each other helps alot.

Do you have a strong enough military to dissuade his tendencies?

Do you have a strong enough military to dissuade his tendencies?

Even "afraid" AIs will covet land. There's no stopping it because this is how the modifiers work in Civ 5. Only a certain modifiers diminish over time, e.g. accumulated warmonger hate.

Look up the leader spreadsheet, it'll give you an impression of what to expect from different leaders.

Oh, I know it won't. But it'll make them less likely to try to take that land they covet.

Shaka sees the world as his before he learns his ABCs. Since he is naturally aggressive he will naturally covet your lands until better relations. Same with Attila.

Haha I've had Shaka denounce me after just 3 turns of us first meeting. Our borders weren't even close. What I've learnt is Shaka will hate you if your army is weak. To Shaka having a weak military is like forward settling within 6 tiles of the AIs capital. Your painting a target on yourself in both occasions.

Haha I've had Shaka denounce me after just 3 turns of us first meeting. Our borders weren't even close. What I've learnt is Shaka will hate you if your army is weak. To Shaka having a weak military is like forward settling within 6 tiles of the AIs capital. Your painting a target on yourself in both occasions.

Happened to me too, then he started being chatty about it. The funny thing was, when I finally got there with nothing but a warrior, two archers and a siege tower, his workers/settlers were all being ransomed by barbarians and his army was even more non-existent than mine...

...so I took his capital.

Yeah, I had one game where Shaka had quite a large army on impis...but he couldn't seem to figure out how to get them of the island he started on. Safe to say, they where no match for my frigates :king:

Unless random personalities happen, Shaka will always covet your lands, and he'll even make sure you never forget it.

This is why I use random personalities. Sometimes Shaka does not always covet my lands and isn`t always a bad guy.

btw, Interesting how Firaxis chose to use such a strange biblical word such as `covet`. i wonder how many people here even knew what the word meant? Why not `jealous` or simply `want`?

Covet isn't really a biblical word. It just happens to appear there more often, particularly in the Ten Commandments, but isn't any bible-specific as any of the other words written there.

because petty people are "jealous". It's not a word fit to describe a great leader.

how is covet a biblical word when it appears in my secular dictionary?

Point is, people simply don`t use the word `covet` in normal speak. Not even religious people unless preaching directly from the Bible today.
There are a dozen more apt words to use, I suspect it just fits the spacing needed in the text better, but it`s a small point.

Top Bottom