[MOD] Creating Stable, Playable, Multiplayer Scenarios - Is it possible in Civ5?

WinningCondition

Chieftain
I've developed a functional and stable scenario and mod (in single player) following this forum's superbly helpful documentation. It's a test bed and proof of concept for something more grandiose I intend to create, but that's beside the point for now.

I'm looking for community help in determining whether or not it's even possible to publish this effort as a multiplayer mod.

I've banged my head against this, following the quite helpful guides here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mpmpm-multiplayer-mod-dlc-hack-updated.533238/
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mppatch-easy-modded-multiplayer.617806/

Alas, I've not met with anything close to what one might call success. The scenario+mod, however functional in single player, instantly falls to bits in multiplayer. It's important to note that the modded XML is stable in multiplayer, its exclusively the scenario that is causing things to break.

Before I go pouring another 20 hours in chasing my own tail, I'd to know if anyone has ever succeeded in getting even a simple scenario (ideally one that features XML and/or lua mods) functional in a multiplayer environment.

My thanks in advance to those still engaged in this topic and willing to advise.

Moderator Action: Moved to main C&C forum as that is where questions go. Best of luck with your modding. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
To my recollection, the conventional wisdom is that XML mods can be loaded into multiplayer successfully, but mods that use Lua typically can't. If there's Lua involved in your scenario, that might be a possible culprit.

Unfortunately, I've never worked with scenarios (or multiplayer) myself, so I can't really give any specific insights.

To my recollection, the conventional wisdom is that XML mods can be loaded into multiplayer successfully, but mods that use Lua typically can't. If there's Lua involved in your scenario, that might be a possible culprit.

Unfortunately, I've never worked with scenarios (or multiplayer) myself, so I can't really give any specific insights.
What works:
  • The mod (which features only XML) is fine for multiplayer. It's stable and has no trouble loading.
  • The map/scenario, with starting positions and customization for each civ, excluding pre-populated cities and units.
What doesn't work:
  • The map/scenario featuring pre-populated units and cities. This causes every issue in the book and is entirely unplayable in multiplayer, however stable in single player.

Top Bottom