Crusader Kings 2

Maybe he was just interested? He likes history, this is a game set in a historical he may find interesting, he seemed to want to know how they modeled the time period. It was just a passing interest

So why are you asking? I hope it's more than "is Paradox wrong again?"
No. If I were so anal-retentive about history in games, I'd never play anything.

The system does not seem to me to be worth messing around with. Maybe when the modding community has done its usual work, or when Paradox has finished the game with its super-patches and expansion packs several years down the road.
Maybe he was just interested? He likes history, this is a game set in a historical he may find interesting, he seemed to want to know how they modeled the time period. It was just a passing interest
Yes.

There is general agreement among experienced Paradox gamers that Crusader Kings II is BY FAR the most polished and bug-free Paradox release yet. Not perfect, of course, but a real break from their typical publish-and-patch release strategy.

There is general agreement among experienced Paradox gamers that Crusader Kings II is BY FAR the most polished and bug-free Paradox release yet. Not perfect, of course, but a real break from their typical publish-and-patch release strategy.
The game is certainly fun, just not historical enough for Dachs.:p

This was problematic in my Leon game. I got around it by giving the second-in-line heir two duchies on the Muslim border (I kept the more productive northern territories for myself). However, my double-duke ended up taking advantage of an excommunication (not sure how that happened), and took a third duchy from the excommed uncle. Now I got a triple-duke of Sevilla, Cordoba, and Badajoz. He's not rebelling now, but he has the resource base to make my life difficult if he does. I want to take one of them to spread out the power, and also Valladoid to make the northern region prettier. But I don't want another revolution, which I fear will happen I revoke titles.

That, and the take-one-title-at-a-time rule for fighting Christians makes it very difficult to conquer Christian territory.

EDIT: And good grief, France, get the hell out of Spain! They have two duchies around Barcelona and one around Valencia. They need to go.

The reason the southern areas revolt so much is because they're the wrong religion and culture. Send your inquisitor to speed up conversions and cultural assimilation will slowly happen on it's own. As for taking titles... Use the revolts to your advantage. When a vassal revolts you can strip one title away from him without any penalty because your other vassals understand the guy is an oath breaker. Give the duke titles to younger sons (hopefully no more than one each; remember they have to have a castle in the duchy first before you award them the duke title) and the king titles will go to your heir as long as you don't have gavel kind.

The reason the southern areas revolt so much is because they're the wrong religion and culture. Send your inquisitor to speed up conversions and cultural assimilation will slowly happen on it's own. As for taking titles... Use the revolts to your advantage. When a vassal revolts you can strip one title away from him without any penalty because your other vassals understand the guy is an oath breaker. Give the duke titles to younger sons (hopefully no more than one each; remember they have to have a castle in the duchy first before you award them the duke title) and the king titles will go to your heir as long as you don't have gavel kind.

I've converted all except for two provinces in Sevilla, I figured out how to use the bishop early on. I've been stripping titles left and right to reorganize the territory into logical sub-units. I like having a duchy and all provinces under it under a single duke, I hate it when one freaking count has three different counties all over the place.

I've also started a Scotland game on the side, never have I found a royal family so afraid of making heirs. :mischief:

Yar, me game running so slow. But I'm starting to get the hang of things.

It's the slowest of the Paradox games on my system, except for possibly HoI3 late-war.

For some reason, my Scotland game regularly crashes, usually once every few years (or during wars, sometimes every couple months). Never had a problem with it in my Leon game, maybe there's something wrong with the save file.

My "Women's Troubles" CK-2 Demo AAR won the "Win a free copy of CK-2" contest. :D

I am the blue feathery God of AAR-writing!

Now to plan out a full-length AAR...

It's the slowest of the Paradox games on my system, except for possibly HoI3 late-war.

For some reason, my Scotland game regularly crashes, usually once every few years (or during wars, sometimes every couple months). Never had a problem with it in my Leon game, maybe there's something wrong with the save file.
Report the bug with the save file attached at Paradox, there are some crash issues like you have.

Managed to marry my heir to a princess of Norway, who became queen thanks to a series of tragic stabbing accidents. Unfortunately, the king died on crusade, which means that now I have a bunch of restless vassals, my armies are on the wrong end of the continent, and to top it off, my grandson (and new king) was at war with the Golden Horde and losing badly.

My "Women's Troubles" CK-2 Demo AAR won the "Win a free copy of CK-2" contest. :D

I am the blue feathery God of AAR-writing!

Now to plan out a full-length AAR...

Congratulations! That was a well-earned prize.

Report the bug with the save file attached at Paradox, there are some crash issues like you have.

Figured it out--apparently, some funny business occurred when I granted the Duchy of Galloway + lower titles to some guy, while some of those lower titles were held by people loyal to the [Grand] Duchy of Lothian. Whenever I clicked to go into the build mode on the city, the game crashed, and I presume whenever the AI tried to build a building there it crashed as well. Something got messed up, not quite sure how.

Unfortunately, I did a save-game edit to correct the problem and don't have the original file anymore. If it happens again, I'll report it. :(

Managed to marry my heir to a princess of Norway, who became queen thanks to a series of tragic stabbing accidents. Unfortunately, the king died on crusade, which means that now I have a bunch of restless vassals, my armies are on the wrong end of the continent, and to top it off, my grandson (and new king) was at war with the Golden Horde and losing badly.

Heh, I married a cousin to the Duchess of Britanny and started a Dunkeld reign down there, but he lost his holdings during a revolution (and the French are moving in). I also used an assassination to put one of my dukes on the throne in the Duchy of Munster (had 5 or 6 counties in Southern Ireland). That wrapped up my conquest of the island roughly 3 decades earlier than anticipated via claim wars. Unfortunately, the duke rebelled when King Alexander I took the throne. Then my king died during a siege, so now his only son and my last grown-up heir, David, has to hold on. At least he's married and has produced a couple sons, otherwise my game could have come to a very sudden end.

Also, crusading as the Kingdom of Scotland & Ireland was a terrible idea. I've lost 2 10k stacks, only managed to take one province from Galilee. The only thing that saved me and let me settle for that province were my fellow crusaders (England, Denmark, and Hungary), which were more successful in distracting the Arabs while I stole my province and peaced out. I wanted to attack Jerusalem right afterwards with a Holy Order and my survivors, but the Caliphate is way too strong and I'm getting crazy revolts in the Muslim province.

EDIT: I got so distracted in the story-telling that I forgot to mention why I dropped in here. Word of warning: do not allow your heir's culture to be different from your king if you have culture-specific unique buildings. They will all disappear!

I started as Duke William the Bastard before Stamford Bridge and toppled Harold Godwinson. From there I got rid of all the crummy Saxon counts, replacing them with Norman ones, and creating all the duchies and making all the duchies look so nice and pretty!

But, because of my tearing through counts, my vassals got pretty pissed off, two of which of were Prince William and Prince Robert, the latter of which is in Normandy, where I am fighting right now.

I started as Duke William the Bastard before Stamford Bridge and toppled Harold Godwinson. From there I got rid of all the crummy Saxon counts, replacing them with Norman ones, and creating all the duchies and making all the duchies look so nice and pretty!

But, because of my tearing through counts, my vassals got pretty pissed off, two of which of were Prince William and Prince Robert, the latter of which is in Normandy, where I am fighting right now.

It's a tough job to clean up the mess of counties and make pretty duchies. Of all things, my formerly clean duchies have been getting messy on their own because of ambitious dukes, and Ireland is still a mess.

Also, note to future self, don't put your sons as Dukes of places. It will get messy quickly.

I've been giving duchies to lower-ranked princes, but it only gives the pretenders a base of operations to try and grab your throne at the most inopportune times. I've been trying to educate them under content mentors to mitigate this threat, but that doesn't always work.

My Dukes have been really anal about me raising the crown authority. I also lost Normandy in a war to France.

Is it me, or cannot get any levies? The three numbers next to 'raise levy' button say that I can recruit 4x as many soldiers. So what gives?

My Dukes have been really anal about me raising the crown authority. I also lost Normandy in a war to France.

Is it me, or cannot get any levies? The three numbers next to 'raise levy' button say that I can recruit 4x as many soldiers. So what gives?

I'm at high in both my games, I can't max it out. Everyone is plotting to lower it.

I think that max figure for the realm levies gives you the figure you could raise if all your lower dukes/counts loved you and would give you the maximum allowable levy, and your levies are at full strength. Replacements are gained over the course of several years, so if you have been fighting several wars recently, your and your vassals' levies might be low on manpower.

Top Bottom