CTP2 is not utter garbage!

Originally posted by Moff Jerjerrod
Immortal Wombat and Martin Guehmann (sorry I don't know how to make the umlaut),

Well you used the official work around. :D If you really want to use the umlaut then I would mark the umlaut first and use the copy and paste keys. Of course you can can mark first my whole name and copy and paste it.

I love the CtP forum at Apolyton, in fact my user name there is Haupt. Dietrich. I'm sure you've seen me over there. How are you guys! :D

Yes I already have seen you there. Just a thought usually people registers with the same username. Yeah the 'Poly forums are great espeacily the more traffic on the CTP2 forums and its Mozilla/Netscape 6 compartibility. I just modifying my mod, I improved the speed of its slic scrips and now I am replaying the tourny game.

Well if there is never going to be a CtP3 then I salute all who continue to mod and improve this wonderful game. :beer:

Yeah CTP2 gets better and better.

-Martin

Thanks Martin for the tips, especially the umlaut work around. I am from the USA and use the North American keyboard. There is an ASCI code for the umlaut but I can't find it. Your method will work just fine. :goodjob:

Yes you're right about registering with the same name on different sites. I know now that if I register somewhere else I'd probably use my Apolyton username to make it easier for people to recognize me. I spend more time at Apolyton anyway. But I love CFC as well and when I registered I wanted to be "different". I guess I could ask to have my name changed.

Hopefully I'll see you at Locutus's MP tournement. I will be out of town the weekend that he has chosen but definately want to participate. Perhaps another time. I wish great success to the tournement! :D

Originally posted by calgacus
CTP2 is a great game when modded. It's better than civ3 in many respects: no. of civs, techs, govts, etc; the editor is fantastic compared with civ3 and it is much more atmospheric. ...
But, no matter what difficulty level it is played, the AI is far too predictable and the diplomacy is inadequate.
If they fixed these elements, I'd never play civ3 again...and I certainly wouldn't fork out for the PTW XP, which only makes civ3 how it should have been in the first place....

I second that motion, though I do love civ3. Having gotten lonely playing offline against the Vulcan computer players in Civ2, I gave CtP2 a try. All those governments, and two ages beyond the all-too-well-known modern age! But, in the end, it just became a matter of outnumbering your enemies units, not out-smarting them.
You know, one more thing to improve, though I guess this falls under general improved AI, is the lack of personality the AI players have, and their lack of hate for players with hostile gov't, like a democratic nation being buddies with fascists, etc. And some of those treaties don't really seem to do a darn thing. Science treaties, for instance, and the AI player seems no more likely to trade (or fork over) techs than before. Jerkies!
Haven't had the chance to play a full game against other ppl, though. I imagine if you play against several humans and several AI players, the computer players will hold their own enough to keep things intersting. Otherwise, gotta go with Civ3 (HEAVILY modded, of course; I mean, really, upgrading spearmen to mech. infantry for a measly 160 gold??) ;)
What are some great mods for CtP2, that would make one feel the AI players are more intelligent?

Actually it isnt uncommon is World history for a nation to ally or have a peace treaty with a nation with a radically different government, especially if its in the bigger nation's interests.

Multiplayer has always been a big plus point for CtP2, seeing as the unmodded AI was pathetic to say the least. I play on and off and havent had any unknown problems with it.

All major mods make the AI smarter and fix alot of bugs, like the useless science treaty you mentioned. Take a trip over to Apolyton if you're interested in mods for CtP2, youll be surprised.

Originally posted by Maquiladora
All major mods make the AI smarter and fix alot of bugs, like the useless science treaty you mentioned. Take a trip over to Apolyton if you're interested in mods for CtP2, youll be surprised.

Will do! Thanks! :)

I enjoyed CTP1, and loved CTP2 with the medieval mod. I have a few questions though:

Have the mods solved the following problems yet:
- AI not using nukes
-Trade routes disappearing
-AI stacking 12 units and then unable to move that stack through its own cities
-AI not building commerce improvements (like malls and outposts) which in MedMod always left the AI paralyzed in the industrial age.
- AI not using non-con units to the full extent (like they did in CTP1)
- Underwater cities using the pictures for land cities

If so, I'll be reinstalling with those mods.

Never agreed to CTP-bashing. It's an enjoyable game and really has got some advantages on CivIII. Just love expanding city-radius.

I missed the space-layer in CTP2, too. Finding/breeding an alien is better than eco-saving the world.

Maybe I should give the mods you are talking of a try.

Top Bottom