Resource icon

Cultural Diversity

Old V13, V16, V17 Links (highly not recommended, use V20 it's great)
Spoiler :
The only one appearing is the empty one for me.
So I guess it's lost forever.
I'm not sure if JFD/maintainers wish for the old versions to be brought back up/used, as they were probably removed for a reason. However, if people are curious/wish to try and fix it, I have V13, V16, and V17 of Cultural Diversity core (as well as V2 of the soundtrack but it's a bit bigger (897 files (4.24 GB)).) than the old one (816 files (3.77 GB)

I'll remove the link if JFD/anyone else desires it.

Don't be annoying and complain about any issues you notice in an unsupported version. Developers already do so much.

Cultural Diversity V13, V16, V17

From my experience (heavily modded), the starting bonuses used to work and then some stopped working (likely due to introduced mod conflicts throughout the years, but I think the newer versions also have problems too? I haven't tested them out yet)

Update: Upon further testing I summarized what didn't work in V17 and am happy to report that V20 (on Steam workshop) operates well on a heavily modded setup. The only caveat being (which is true for modding in general) of course any balance issues that arise from getting a free scout instead of a pathfinder as Polynesia, for example. If it's not already apparent, the starting bonuses are given out when you establish your capital.

I am unsure how some people were reporting errors on V20 such as civs being assigned cultures incorrectly or the starting bonuses not working in general (Japan not providing worker and such). Note that I don't have time to do every civilization + modded civs so your mileage may vary, but I am satisfied knowing that if, for example, it works for a civ that gives a free tech then it should work for a different civ that gives a different free tech.

Mods used for testing (Vox Populi 4-16 (2021), 3/4 UC, and others):

Starting Bonuses Report V17
Spoiler :

working (gold, units, techs, promotions, buildings):
england, spain - free 180 gold
china - free worker
shoshone - free trapping tech
maya - free calendar tech
polynesia - free scout, embark at start works but 3/4 UC provides this too and +1 sight but promotion in game has +2 sight (this isn't related to Cultural Diversity) also the free scout is free scout (tier 2 recon unit) not a pathfinder (tier 1 recon unit in Vox Populi)
zulus - free spearman + 10 exp for every unit
askia - free mining tech
russia - free walls

not working (terrain manipulation):
mongolia - 2 nearby horses
egypt - nearby 1 wheat ?
venice - nearby 1 whine
america - extra land in capital

Starting Bonuses Report V20
Spoiler :

working:
england - free 180 gold
venice - free wine source
maya - free calendar tech
america - extra land on city establish (2 rings instead of 1)
mongolia - nearby 2 sources of horses
polynesia (same as in V17)
japan - free worker

working?
russia - free walls (despite popup saying walls + barracks perhaps a text error since i have little reason to believe it's error in code after how much of an improvement this is over V17)

Last edited:
Did you ask JFD before doing this? He is usually on his Discord.
I don't want to double/triple post so here we go.
Response
Spoiler :
Originally my impression was that this mod wasn't really maintained and JFD moved on to other projects. Of course, I now know that JFD has been active as of late in his discord and I only found out when I went to compare V20 to other people's experiences + search for clues on what I remember seeing mentioned about the newer versions of Cultural Diversity in general.

My link was already up for a while before I realized there's pretty much no reason to use V17 (?), but I figured I would leave up the original post for context/availability.

On Cultural Diversity wrong culture/wrong starting bonuses:
The problem (my POV):
Spoiler :
After failing to create a DLC singleplayer modpack with V20 (after confirming it worked in modded), I went and experienced (in modded) the problem that 2 others cited (albeit to a lesser degree?). I am experiencing (with the same mod setup as in previous post) the inability to assign a culture correctly to America. Every other culture type that I tried out seemed to work (more on that later). My lua log file is attached and it seems to point to the Player:GetCultureType method (lines 179 and 183) in JFD_CulDivUtils.lua file. Note: this happens regardless of mods used I've been using solely the Cultural Diversity steam collection + soundtrack and it remains the same.
The solution - long version
Spoiler :
Alright so hear my out... after looking through the code (and sort of learning lua in the process)I found no reason why there would be an issue and there had to be something odd going on. I know JFD had answered a couple of responses from people claiming they had the same problem. The only problem is that none of them offered any logs for JFD to help them further. However I can't imagine that he wasn't at least curious as to why his code was seemingly resulting in errors. This didn't seem like a simple typo otherwise I feel like it wouldn't exist as recent as a 1 or 2 months ago.

Right before giving in and hoping JFD would have a solution I started to think about what changed between my first successful modding setup vs the one I have now. I had already kept this in mind but I had exhausted nearly all ideas. However, I remember through all the game setups I had the same default settings (civilization, map, difficulty, etc.). This seemed odd since I feel like it changed in the past according to my last played settings but I wasn't sure what exactly determined/stored these settings.

After finding out that the config.ini along with the cache seemed to store these details I decided to try one last idea. I had repeatedly deleted my cache before so I ruled out that already. Instead, I deleted the config.ini file and loaded up another modded game with no EUI, Cultural Diversity steam collection + soundtrack, and no other mods. To my surprise, it worked.

After testing further, I realized if I changed the config.ini setting "LastCiv = 1" (1 for America) under [UserSettings] to "LastCiv = -1" (-1 for randomize) then I run into no issues with my CultureType/starting bonuses. Note: this seemed to hold true for any civilization's ID. For example, if switched to 2 (Aztecs), then loading into the game would result in the Aztecs being recognized as Great Plains culture and receive Trapping instead of their Calendar free tech (one of the user reports that made me go down this rabbit hole in the first place). I'm willing to bet there are others but I am not interested in testing further.
The solution - TL;DR fix my game
Spoiler :
Change the config.ini (Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5) setting "LastCiv = 1" (1 for America or any other number that is here for last played Civ) under [UserSettings] to "LastCiv = -1" (-1 for randomize). Once you're setting up your game, pick any civ you want and you shouldn't have a problem.

If the above doesn't work, try deleting the "Civ5UserHistoryDatabase.db" file under the cache file found in the same directory as above. Your goal is to have the civilization selected at game setup to be "randomize civilization".

I couldn't upload a .log file so I'll provide this link to my lua.log while LastCiv = 2, which resulted in Aztecs being recognized as Great Plains. The error remains the same regardless of civ played but only happens if you choose to play the civ that's set as default in the game setup window.

Bonus minor problem I stumbled upon while searching for solution
Spoiler :
Related to my initial report in which I stated Russia's starting bonus of Walls + Barracks was only giving Walls but no Barracks and that it might've been a text error in the ingame popup, I saw that in the code it has the "Eastern" culture type starting bonuses as having both. I confirmed this ingame as not being given with only Cultural Diversity steam collection + soundtrack active. Not sure if this is known/reported as I'm willing to bet a lot people just gave up on the mod after their first civ upon loadup was not working as expected.

thanks for coming to my TED talk

Last edited:
I don't want to double/triple post so here we go.
Response
Spoiler :
Originally my impression was that this mod wasn't really maintained and JFD moved on to other projects. Of course, I now know that JFD has been active as of late in his discord and I only found out when I went to compare V20 to other people's experiences + search for clues on what I remember seeing mentioned about the newer versions of Cultural Diversity in general.

My link was already up for a while before I realized there's pretty much no reason to use V17 (?), but I figured I would leave up the original post for context/availability.

On Cultural Diversity wrong culture/wrong starting bonuses:
The problem (my POV):
Spoiler :
After failing to create a DLC singleplayer modpack with V20 (after confirming it worked in modded), I went and experienced (in modded) the problem that 2 others cited (albeit to a lesser degree?). I am experiencing (with the same mod setup as in previous post) the inability to assign a culture correctly to America. Every other culture type that I tried out seemed to work (more on that later). My lua log file is attached and it seems to point to the Player:GetCultureType method (lines 179 and 183) in JFD_CulDivUtils.lua file. Note: this happens regardless of mods used I've been using solely the Cultural Diversity steam collection + soundtrack and it remains the same.
The solution - long version
Spoiler :
Alright so hear my out... after looking through the code (and sort of learning lua in the process)I found no reason why there would be an issue and there had to be something odd going on. I know JFD had answered a couple of responses from people claiming they had the same problem. The only problem is that none of them offered any logs for JFD to help them further. However I can't imagine that he wasn't at least curious as to why his code was seemingly resulting in errors. This didn't seem like a simple typo otherwise I feel like it wouldn't exist as recent as a 1 or 2 months ago.

Right before giving in and hoping JFD would have a solution I started to think about what changed between my first successful modding setup vs the one I have now. I had already kept this in mind but I had exhausted nearly all ideas. However, I remember through all the game setups I had the same default settings (civilization, map, difficulty, etc.). This seemed odd since I feel like it changed in the past according to my last played settings but I wasn't sure what exactly determined/stored these settings.

After finding out that the config.ini along with the cache seemed to store these details I decided to try one last idea. I had repeatedly deleted my cache before so I ruled out that already. Instead, I deleted the config.ini file and loaded up another modded game with no EUI, Cultural Diversity steam collection + soundtrack, and no other mods. To my surprise, it worked.

After testing further, I realized if I changed the config.ini setting "LastCiv = 1" (1 for America) under [UserSettings] to "LastCiv = -1" (-1 for randomize) then I run into no issues with my CultureType/starting bonuses. Note: this seemed to hold true for any civilization's ID. For example, if switched to 2 (Aztecs), then loading into the game would result in the Aztecs being recognized as Great Plains culture and receive Trapping instead of their Calendar free tech (one of the user reports that made me go down this rabbit hole in the first place). I'm willing to bet there are others but I am not interested in testing further.
The solution - TL;DR fix my game
Spoiler :
Change the config.ini (Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5) setting "LastCiv = 1" (1 for America or any other number that is here for last played Civ) under [UserSettings] to "LastCiv = -1" (-1 for randomize). Once you're setting up your game, pick any civ you want and you shouldn't have a problem.

If the above doesn't work, try deleting the "Civ5UserHistoryDatabase.db" file under the cache file found in the same directory as above. Your goal is to have the civilization selected at game setup to be "randomize civilization".

I couldn't upload a .log file so I'll provide this link to my lua.log while LastCiv = 2, which resulted in Aztecs being recognized as Great Plains. The error remains the same regardless of civ played but only happens if you choose to play the civ that's set as default in the game setup window.

Bonus minor problem I stumbled upon while searching for solution
Spoiler :
Related to my initial report in which I stated Russia's starting bonus of Walls + Barracks was only giving Walls but no Barracks and that it might've been a text error in the ingame popup, I saw that in the code it has the "Eastern" culture type starting bonuses as having both. I confirmed this ingame as not being given with only Cultural Diversity steam collection + soundtrack active. Not sure if this is known/reported as I'm willing to bet a lot people just gave up on the mod after their first civ upon loadup was not working as expected.

thanks for coming to my TED talk

How is your defeat screen working? Mine broke due to coding issues. It shows as .earlydds etc. Plus? I can't get modded civ assign proper culture

How is your defeat screen working? Mine broke due to coding issues. It shows as .earlydds etc. Plus? I can't get modded civ assign proper culture
In my recent game I discovered that alt+Q is the shortcut for retiring (why? I eventually decided to just unbind it after it happened 2 times). Whenever I did that, I would receive the error you seem to be describing with an early defeat screen. I did see some of the code associated with that functionality, but this was before when looking for the starting bonuses solution. On top of that, it didn't seem to be incorrect just based off memory. I didn't (and probably still don't) have much interest in finding out the reasoning/fixing it since I never ever really see a defeat screen.

However, if you wish, you can try bringing it up in the discord server. JFD or someone else might lead you to a solution but I suggest trying to provide as much detail (logs and such) as you can.

As for the modded civ concern, which civ are you trying to play as?

If you are using the mod collection from Steam, it could be that the customized civ you are using does not support the new collection.

In my recent game I discovered that alt+Q is the shortcut for retiring (why? I eventually decided to just unbind it after it happened 2 times). Whenever I did that, I would receive the error you seem to be describing with an early defeat screen. I did see some of the code associated with that functionality, but this was before when looking for the starting bonuses solution. On top of that, it didn't seem to be incorrect just based off memory. I didn't (and probably still don't) have much interest in finding out the reasoning/fixing it since I never ever really see a defeat screen.

However, if you wish, you can try bringing it up in the discord server. JFD or someone else might lead you to a solution but I suggest trying to provide as much detail (logs and such) as you can.

As for the modded civ concern, which civ are you trying to play as?

The link to the discord is dead. Also, my computer can't seem to load icons for culture types, with a red box appearing instead.

The link to the discord is dead. Also, my computer can't seem to load icons for culture types, with a red box appearing instead.
Apparently, it was removed to stop spambots from joining. I imagine it'll be replaced soon/later. Thanks for bringing it up.
If you plan on seeking help on your problem, I'd recommend providing more details (mods/setup/civ used/logs). At the moment I'm not sure what the icons for cultures look like/where they show up. Are you referring to the icons that appear in the DawnOfMan popup (start of a new game that tells you your starting bonuses)?

Apparently, it was removed to stop spambots from joining. I imagine it'll be replaced soon/later. Thanks for bringing it up.
If you plan on seeking help on your problem, I'd recommend providing more details (mods/setup/civ used/logs). At the moment I'm not sure what the icons for cultures look like/where they show up. Are you referring to the icons that appear in the DawnOfMan popup (start of a new game that tells you your starting bonuses)?

Yes, that. I'm using cultural diversity, vox populi with their addons, rise to power, and minor gameplay mods (pontoon bridge, better helicopters, etc). Also, I get wrong cultures assigned to civs and I tried both your solutions but the issues remain.

Yes, that. I'm using cultural diversity, vox populi with their addons, rise to power, and minor gameplay mods (pontoon bridge, better helicopters, etc). Also, I get wrong cultures assigned to civs and I tried both your solutions but the issues remain.
1. Are you attempting to select a civ other than the default one once you start a new game? If you read my posts, you can see it's only a problem with the default one that first appears. Also, you say it's happening to multiple civs so it could be an entirely new problem separate from the one I was facing.
2. try to start a new game using a civ other than the default one that is automatically selected upon game creation with only Cultural Diversity enabled as a mod. It's possible that vox populi (unlikely but I was using the 4-16 version) or Rise to Power could be the causes but just isolate the issue to make sure.

while testing, look at the lua.log log file (search how to enable logging in civ 5 if you're unaware) and if there is a line(s) present that read: " JFD_CulDiv_DawnOfManPopup: [string "C:\Users\<Your Name>\Documents\My Games\Si..."]:179: Cannot find key - CultureType

this error is the one that I was experiencing and it was present from the launch of a new game even prior to clicking on the popup. Clicking just results in another similar error for loading art types but the source is the same.

If you want, pm me and we can work through it.

Might be a long shot, but does anyone have a working link to the soundtrack? I used to play with it some years ago, and really miss it.

Thanks! Took a while to get it to work, tried using it with the version of cultural diversity (core) on steam and it doesn't, but the V17 you linked works fine with the soundtrack. Much appreciated.

Thanks! Took a while to get it to work, tried using it with the version of cultural diversity (core) on steam and it doesn't, but the V17 you linked works fine with the soundtrack. Much appreciated.
V20 works for me if your objective is to get starting bonuses+themed era screens/music I think the defeat screens were the only thing I could tell wasn't working. Let me know what your issue is and we can try to get it working.

V20 works for me if your objective is to get starting bonuses+themed era screens/music I think the defeat screens were the only thing I could tell wasn't working. Let me know what your issue is and we can try to get it working.

how did you get the soundtrack set from the link work? I cant get them working. its just default music. did you modify anything?

i tried using soundtrack with v17 from link above. mine doesnt work with soundtrack. how did you get ya working?

i tried using soundtrack with v17 from link above. mine doesnt work with soundtrack. how did you get ya working?
tl;dr: V20 soundtrack doesn't appear to work. V17 is working (hey, we're back where we started :^) ), V2 of soundtrack, and music changer. My soundtrack should be the same as the one in the mediafire link since that's where I originally downloaded it from.

Alright, so... I think you're right in your assessment that V20 doesn't have the soundtrack working (and I'm guessing the fact the culture system was reworked in V20 has something to do with it).
Admittedly, it was/is a pain in the ass to verify whether the soundtrack is actually being applied. There's probably an easier way but I was just trying to do a quick test and ended up just using the music changer mod and hopping into a V20 cultural diversity modded game with everything enabled.

Halfway through I wondered if the soundtrack was ever working to begin with and if I was experienced a version of the mandela effect I swore that I heard songs that were noticeably different from the civ 5 ones. I spent a large amount of time on V17 but only a few games on V20 so it was possible for me to be remembering V17 all along. After listening to the vanilla songs for comparison and spamming the music change button with Portugal and Mongolia I'm going to say that V20 doesn't work with either V2 or V3 of the soundtrack (tested just to be sure since I used V2 a lot more).

Good news is that V17 does work (you can tell the song is probably added in if it incorporates vocals. With Mongolia, you're going to get some Mongolian throat singing and women singing, for example. I tested out V2 of the soundtrack (old one available on mediafire) so it should be working on your end. Easy way to test is to select Mongolia and listen for Faun, Huun-Huur-Tu, or Turkic5 songs.

Bad news is that I am not currently playing civ 5 so I don't want to spend time trying to investigate V20's problem with the soundtrack, which would probably explain why the soundtrack download was removed :^).

Last edited:
Top Bottom