Resource icon

Cultural Diversity

tl;dr: V20 soundtrack doesn't appear to work. V17 is working (hey, we're back where we started :^) ), V2 of soundtrack, and music changer. My soundtrack should be the same as the one in the mediafire link since that's where I originally downloaded it from.

Alright, so... I think you're right in your assessment that V20 doesn't have the soundtrack working (and I'm guessing the fact the culture system was reworked in V20 has something to do with it).
Admittedly, it was/is a pain in the ass to verify whether the soundtrack is actually being applied. There's probably an easier way but I was just trying to do a quick test and ended up just using the music changer mod and hopping into a V20 cultural diversity modded game with everything enabled.

Halfway through I wondered if the soundtrack was ever working to begin with and if I was experienced a version of the mandela effect I swore that I heard songs that were noticeably different from the civ 5 ones. I spent a large amount of time on V17 but only a few games on V20 so it was possible for me to be remembering V17 all along. After listening to the vanilla songs for comparison and spamming the music change button with Portugal and Mongolia I'm going to say that V20 doesn't work with either V2 or V3 of the soundtrack (tested just to be sure since I used V2 a lot more).

Good news is that V17 does work (you can tell the song is probably added in if it incorporates vocals. With Mongolia, you're going to get some Mongolian throat singing and women singing, for example. I tested out V2 of the soundtrack (old one available on mediafire) so it should be working on your end. Easy way to test is to select Mongolia and listen for Faun, Huun-Huur-Tu, or Turkic5 songs.

Bad news is that I am not currently playing civ 5 so I don't want to spend time trying to investigate V20's problem with the soundtrack, which would probably explain why the soundtrack download was removed :^).

I tried using v18 but still no.
How did u manage get it working?

I tried using v18 but still no.
How did u manage get it working?
I don't know why using a version that wasn't mentioned in my post would be the move. For all I know, the culture change could've happened in V18 and so using it wouldn't be any different from V20 in terms of whether or not soundtrack works.
I've tested V17 with Mongolia and got the results that would indicate it's working on that version. Maybe it's broken for every other civilization. Highly unlikely but not impossible.

If you want help, then start by describing the steps you're taking (how do you know it's not "working"?) and under which conditions (mods + versions, civ, etc.).

I have a feeling this is why developers eventually lose interest in trying to help people out. The last X pages in this thread and in discord were people complaining, someone asking for information on the problem, and then no reply over and over again.

Hey JFD, love your work on civ V and VI ,could I ask you something? , can you make Arminius of the Germanic tribes, for civilization 6, there is a a hole section of people that want that civilization for CIV 6, you made a collaboration with the Anno domini gathering storm mod, and Arminius is in there, but we want to play just him , not the hole Anno domini mod, just Arminius, could you do it?, please...

Does anyone have the link to that file that allows the leader selection screen to not be broken while using ynaemp? His discord link is dead so i can't ask him

I cannot get this mod to work for the life of me. It seems the define for CultureType and SubCultureType is broken, as I repeatedly get the following errors.

[1188716.343] JFD_Bonuses_Functions: [string "C:\Users\computer\Documents\My Games\Sid Meie..."]:191: Cannot find key - CultureType
[1188716.343] JFD_Bonuses_Functions: [string "C:\Users\computer\Documents\My Games\Sid Meie..."]:195: Cannot find key - CultureSubType

These keys are *definitely* being defined prior to being called, in a separate file, which is definitely being loaded, as confirmed by stopwatch.log. Database shows no errors. Quite confused.

Replacing the file in question (C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\JFD's Cultural Diversity - (1) (Core) Utilities (v 20)\Lua\Utilities) with this version should fix the issue.

It's a problem to do with the game's weird caching habits, on your first session it should work fine but - in a similar way to how alterations to a Civilization's colour scheme or other effects will be undone - the game sometimes decides to instead use some backup of data when referencing Civilizations instead of the actual database itself. Real certified Firaxis moment.

Does anyone have the link to that file that allows the leader selection screen to not be broken while using ynaemp? His discord link is dead so i can't ask him
Bumping this if it's still being looked at or if this thread is still active

It turns out that YnAEMP needed to be updated to support the latest version of CulDiv, these overwrites should fix problems relating to the selection dropdowns being broken and the culture filter checkboxes referencing nonexistent cultures.

Last edited:
Hi, everything seems to be working so far with my Vox Populi modpack except when reaching Classical Era I get the "Unable to load texture [era_null_Classical.dds]" message, and the Era splash screen is just a red rectangle. Any idea how to fix this?

Hi, everything seems to be working so far with my Vox Populi modpack except when reaching Classical Era I get the "Unable to load texture [era_null_Classical.dds]" message, and the Era splash screen is just a red rectangle. Any idea how to fix this?
That would imply something like the Civ you're playing as having a Culture assigned which lacks a SplashScreenTag value. Lacking a Culture entirely should cause the Colonial culture to be used as a fallback, but to have "null" appended into the string surely means that the value "null" - perhaps incorrectly being defined as a string rather than an actual SQL NULL value - is being found in the Culture or SubCulture's SplashScreenTag column. Needless to say there is no Culture or Subculture that should have this be the case, so you should specify what Culture you're using and fix it if it is one you made yourself.

That would imply something like the Civ you're playing as having a Culture assigned which lacks a SplashScreenTag value. Lacking a Culture entirely should cause the Colonial culture to be used as a fallback, but to have "null" appended into the string surely means that the value "null" - perhaps incorrectly being defined as a string rather than an actual SQL NULL value - is being found in the Culture or SubCulture's SplashScreenTag column. Needless to say there is no Culture or Subculture that should have this be the case, so you should specify what Culture you're using and fix it if it is one you made yourself.
Thanks for the reply, I'm not playing with any custom Civs, I do have a lot of other mods running, but I don't think any should be affecting splash screens?

Thanks for the reply, I'm not playing with any custom Civs, I do have a lot of other mods running, but I don't think any should be affecting splash screens?
In that case then you'll have to specify what Culture you're playing as, and check if you need to update your version of the mod, because the v21 copy I'm using doesn't have a "null" or NULL SplashScreenTag value for any Culture. A mod conflict would be unlikely, but if it is the case then you might find evidence of such an occurence in the Database log or if another mod you're using overwrites the NewEraPopup.lua file.

I'm using v21 from Steam, along with all the optional components. It looks like there's a NewEraPopup.lua in (1) Community Patch\Core Files\Core Lua, would that be the cause of the conflict and can anything be done for compatibility?

I'm using v21 from Steam, along with all the optional components. It looks like there's a NewEraPopup.lua in (1) Community Patch\Core Files\Core Lua, would that be the cause of the conflict and can anything be done for compatibility?
I'd recommend disabling that file and seeing what happens, because yeah that would create an incompatibility and whatever CulDiv's edit does is probably more important than the CP's changes.

By disable do you mean delete? I made a modpack without the NewEraPopup.lua in (1) Community Patch but am still getting the error, playing as Germans if that matters (I was Zulus before).

Update: I tried v17 from the previous page in this thread (with CulDiv's NewEraPopup.lua only) and splash screens are working there, although starting bonuses aren't (not sure if they were working with v21 anyway). I'm trying to find v18-20 to try them but can't find a download link.

Update: Confirmed that with v17, I get text upon starting a new game about what my starting bonus should be, but don't actually get it. In v20 there isn't even the text, and no bonus, also no matter what civ I play I start off with tradition unlocked.

Last edited:
By disable do you mean delete? I made a modpack without the NewEraPopup.lua in (1) Community Patch but am still getting the error, playing as Germans if that matters (I was Zulus before).

Update: I tried v17 from the previous page in this thread (with CulDiv's NewEraPopup.lua only) and splash screens are working there, although starting bonuses aren't (not sure if they were working with v21 anyway). I'm trying to find v18-20 to try them but can't find a download link.

Update: Confirmed that with v17, I get text upon starting a new game about what my starting bonus should be, but don't actually get it. In v20 there isn't even the text, and no bonus, also no matter what civ I play I start off with tradition unlocked.
Using the old versions of the mod isn't a good idea, since those are going to be fraught with issues and structural changes. I think you'll need to upload a copy of your DebugDatabase with the mods loaded to make any progress towards understanding why the data isn't being found. You can find said database here: C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache

Providing your Database and Stopwatch logs might also explain this behaviour. You can find out how to enable and locate those logs here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487482

Sorry, I couldn't get around to it til now! I can't seem to attach the files to this post, they don't show up after being attached.

Top Bottom