Cultural victory advice

slyone14

Warlord
So i have a question for those that have completed a cultural victory. Is it better to play peaceful to achieve this victory or do you all have to get your hands dirty at the end? If you are close to victory, but still are far off on 1 or 2 civs to achieve your victory. Do you keep trying peacefully, or conqueror them?

ALso, for those that enjoy aggressive cultural victories, what is your general strategy? Any help would be greatly, appreciated, thank you.

You have to be careful about using military to support a CV. Taking out cities late in the game does not erase the accumulated culture. If your problem is that you are having troubles making your tourism beat their culture, military conquest won't help that much. However, I do find it helpful to get artifacts and art from conquered cities. Taking a foreign capitol can get you some nice tourism stuff if you are lucky or careful.

Otherwise, if you are looking at a huge culture to overcome, the only way to do that militarily is to wipe them out completely, which obviously has its own consequences.

...Is it better to play peaceful to achieve this victory or do you all have to get your hands dirty at the end?...
It's easier to play peacefully, and probably more boring as it will be a click 'next turn' fest. As Eris has suggest you want to do it early or eliminate, targeting the cultural leaders first(not the tourism leaders).

A word of warning though, out of all the victory conditions that you can pursue CV is the only one the AI seems to care about. In a patch after BNW was released the notes stated 'the AI will value open borders more'. The AI doesn't value open borders any differently but will probably denounce/dow you because you are pursuing a CV. Don't denounce back as when you are close to influential their stance will revert to 'friendly' again.

It you feel that you're making great artists too early than the archaeological era, you can also make cathedrals and purchase them in your cities. Not only will you be stockpiling great artists until the archeological era nor will you be wasting them on golden ages but instead making the great work of art that is produced by the spare artists and saving them on the cathedrals.

Let me tell you whats currently going on in my Brazil game, and set it up, so you all can give advice. Im playing on King, 22 civs, epic game speed, and earth map. (interestingly, i was placed where modern day Brazil is).

Anyways, I currently have 6 cities all 22 population and up. I am at turn 523, and in the Modern era, pretty much the middle of it. I just got Hotels, and im making my way towards Airports and Internet. I currently have 7 of 18 civs towards my culture victory. I am generating 318 culture per turn, and have 72 tourism. I am building hotels in all my cities currently, so i dont have any YET. I just built the broadway theatre and trying to build the Eiffel tower, but have 23 turns left, so ill see. I am first in science also, and 2nd in population. (i need to go up a level i feel, nobody has even declared war on me on king)

Anyways, so here is the problem, i can see myself grabbing all the other 11 civs easy, cause i am more than 60 percent through them all, but 3. My problem comes with these three. I am falling influence with japan, denmark, and Byzantium. All the other civs i am raising and at popular level or higher. And these three I am far behind.

I know i still have 200 plus turns, so i am not sweating it, but want to prepare myself. I know i can pull out a science victory, but i just walked away with that last game, so i dont really want to do it. Once i build airports, hotels, and have the internet will i catch up. Byzantium is my neighbor, so i try to goad her into war? Am i lost here? Any advice would be appreciated.

Let me tell you whats currently going on in my Brazil game, and set it up, so you all can give advice. Im playing on King, 22 civs, epic game speed, and earth map. (interestingly, i was placed where modern day Brazil is).

Anyways, I currently have 6 cities all 22 population and up. I am at turn 523, and in the Modern era, pretty much the middle of it. I just got Hotels, and im making my way towards Airports and Internet. I currently have 7 of 18 civs towards my culture victory. I am generating 318 culture per turn, and have 72 tourism. I am building hotels in all my cities currently, so i dont have any YET. I just built the broadway theatre and trying to build the Eiffel tower, but have 23 turns left, so ill see. I am first in science also, and 2nd in population. (i need to go up a level i feel, nobody has even declared war on me on king)

Anyways, so here is the problem, i can see myself grabbing all the other 11 civs easy, cause i am more than 60 percent through them all, but 3. My problem comes with these three. I am falling influence with japan, denmark, and Byzantium. All the other civs i am raising and at popular level or higher. And these three I am far behind.

I know i still have 200 plus turns, so i am not sweating it, but want to prepare myself. I know i can pull out a science victory, but i just walked away with that last game, so i dont really want to do it. Once i build airports, hotels, and have the internet will i catch up. Byzantium is my neighbor, so i try to goad her into war? Am i lost here? Any advice would be appreciated.

Why would you use so many civilizations? Do you have any screenshots?

It's more exciting I suppose :lol:

It is, but how are you planning to influence everyone? It seems to me that you're going for a CV. By the time you get to the ideological era, a lot of civilizations would miss out on free social policy ideologies since only a maximum of 6 civilizations could get free social policies. 2 civilizations per ideology, the first to adopt the ideology gets 2 free ideology social policies, the second civilization to adopt the ideology gets 1 free ideology social policy and the same thing applies to the other ideologies. I haven't really tried influencing a really large amount of civilizations like that, but if you want to take it easy then try to go for the SV. You won't have to worry about influencing everyone like that.

Spam out Great Musicians, and militarily annihilate the remaining Civs.

:lol: Don't forget to turn science and turn-based victory off :lol:

Why would you use so many civilizations? Do you have any screenshots?

No, I have actually never tried to do screenshots, what is it, print screen? Why would I use so many civilizations? Honestly, this may sound silly but, its just something I have done since I started playing awhile ago. I enjoy playing earth map, and 22 civs, just seems appropriate. How many civs does the average player use I wonder, if they enjoy playing a large/huge earth map? Again, im slowly trying to increase my level, so im trying to figure all these questions out. :blush:

It is, but how are you planning to influence everyone? It seems to me that you're going for a CV. By the time you get to the ideological era, a lot of civilizations would miss out on free social policy ideologies since only a maximum of 6 civilizations could get free social policies. 2 civilizations per ideology, the first to adopt the ideology gets 2 free ideology social policies, the second civilization to adopt the ideology gets 1 free ideology social policy and the same thing applies to the other ideologies. I haven't really tried influencing a really large amount of civilizations like that, but if you want to take it easy then try to go for the SV. You won't have to worry about influencing everyone like that.

That's what im really confused about. All the guides say, head straight towards internet and try to get it early, and all the other CV techs. Japan and Denmark are really enormous empires, and I feel it will be very hard to challenge them and wipe them out. Plus, all the guides for CV say I should play peaceful. IM thinking of trying to goad Byzamtium into a war, since they are my neighbor, but again this is where I need help. I feel strong I can get all the other empires, cause im already more than 60 percent and higher for them. But, these three, im honestly not sure. What do you think?

Spam out Great Musicians, and militarily annihilate the remaining Civs.

From everything I read for a CV, this is against everything I am reading. WHy do that? Isnt winning a CV via war, the hard way, does it even work?

:lol: Don't forget to turn science and turn-based victory off :lol:

I know, that's the easy way out, I feel its going to come down to take the guaranteed SV, or try for my goal. Im thinking I should go to Emperor, and do less civs.

It's more exciting I suppose :lol:

it does, but I am beginning to this for diplomatic victories and CV that its near impossible to win with soo many civs and city states. Imagine trying to do a DV with so many civs?

No, I have actually never tried to do screenshots, what is it, print screen? Why would I use so many civilizations? Honestly, this may sound silly but, its just something I have done since I started playing awhile ago. I enjoy playing earth map, and 22 civs, just seems appropriate. How many civs does the average player use I wonder, if they enjoy playing a large/huge earth map? Again, im slowly trying to increase my level, so im trying to figure all these questions out. :blush:

That's what im really confused about. All the guides say, head straight towards internet and try to get it early, and all the other CV techs. Japan and Denmark are really enormous empires, and I feel it will be very hard to challenge them and wipe them out. Plus, all the guides for CV say I should play peaceful. IM thinking of trying to goad Byzamtium into a war, since they are my neighbor, but again this is where I need help. I feel strong I can get all the other empires, cause im already more than 60 percent and higher for them. But, these three, im honestly not sure. What do you think?

Why not try going for SV? If you go for science victory, you won't have to worry about CV and influencing everyone else particularly in 22 civilization.

Why not try going for SV? If you go for science victory, you won't have to worry about CV and influencing everyone else particularly in 22 civilization.

I agree, I am currently going down the freedom social policy. So ill do either victory, but im curious to see how this goes. Whats funny, for no reason, Byzantium, my neighbor, DOW on me, and I took one of his cities. But, he took a city state ally city. But she owns, like 14 cities, so ill see how this war goes. I know I cant drag it on, so ill take another city, maybe and see how this goes. If I keep dragging it on, she will beat me, her army is huge, but not sure. So, what are the negatives, to keep taking her cities? Should I continue to take my rivals cities, or no? Any advice is appreciated.

I agree, I am currently going down the freedom social policy. So ill do either victory, but im curious to see how this goes. Whats funny, for no reason, Byzantium, my neighbor, DOW on me, and I took one of his cities. But, he took a city state ally city. But she owns, like 14 cities, so ill see how this war goes. I know I cant drag it on, so ill take another city, maybe and see how this goes. If I keep dragging it on, she will beat me, her army is huge, but not sure. So, what are the negatives, to keep taking her cities? Should I continue to take my rivals cities, or no? Any advice is appreciated.

How close are you to science victory? Keep defending yourself with units as long as byzantium doesn't take any of your cities. Use oligarchy if you used tradition and shoot units to defend yourself. Don't take any of whoever was attacking your cities' cities because other civilizations will be watching and other civilizations could make a declaration of war on you or on whoever is attacking you. If whoever was attacking you took one of your city state allies, then don't worry about it because the other civilizations won't like whoever was attacking you conquering cities like that either.

Moderator Action: BNW prefix added.

So alittle update, I am now on turn 704. Earlier i tried to go for science victory, but i beelined hotels, airports, and the internet. I got all these around turn 675, so I headed towards all the science technologies, but im not gonna make it.

As far as my culture victory, i am soooo close, i can smell it. I have currently 16 out of 17 civs dominated. My only one left is good ole Denmark. I have 70 percent influence on him and it says i am rising. So, i dont know if i will make it cause with my golden age i am producing 786 tourism. It will be close, but i am finishing up my last great person as i speak too. I would try to do trade routes with denmark, but Siam decided toput an embargo on them, so i cant.

A couple interesting notes, Persia decided hey i dont want to pick on another civ, so what will i do, take all of Brazils 7 city states and conquered them. I am too far away to free them all, and its rather pointless of me at this moment. Conquerering Denmark is not really an option cause his empire is HUGe and he doubles my military. But i do have nukes....My war with Byzantium went okay, was just a giant stalemate. He took a city, and i took one, and we drained out military strength. I had the technology, but they had the sheer numbers.

Anyways, i learned alot here and though i might not pull out my victory, i did well considering the number of civs i had to take over. IS there any hope for me to pull this out? IF not, how can i get this civ my way?

Top Bottom