Cumulative Ancient World Quiz

Pangur Bán

Deconstructed
Purpose: Quizes seem to be popular. There are about ten or so of us regulars whose historical interest is mainly concerned with ancient history, and who would enjoy specifically ancient history questions rather than the sort of questions (about tanks for instance) that someone with a more modern interest might ask.

Scope: From "Dawn of Civilization" (whenever that is) to the Arabs invasions. :D

The Quiz is Cumulative. First peson asks, second person answers correctly and then asks his own question. NOTE: In most cases, a third person should answer the latter question. This will prevent the thread becoming a two person thing, as is not unknown to happen on CFC ;)

First Question - an easy one to get us started :)

Which Greek writer/ soldier was present in the ranks the 10,000 or so Greek mercenaries who had to escape from the Persian Empire after the collapse of their expedition at the battle of Cunaxa?

Clearchus, I think he was literate :p

I'm afraid I'm not actually an expert in ancient history...... aks a better one if you can think of one :)

Well, I know diddly squat about history and am posting to pass the time and simultanously embarrass myself :p

Has it something to do with fable and the elixir of life?

No? How about their being always 10,000 men in the regiment? :)

Because their numbers were limitless; there're always replacements when Immortals fell in battle.

So to the enemy, it seems like they're 'immortal', 'cause they're getting replaced all the time?

Originally posted by XIII
Because their numbers were limitless; there're always replacements when Immortals fell in battle.

So to the enemy, it seems like they're 'immortal', 'cause they're getting replaced all the time?

Darn, the only one on these quizzes I knew and I barely missed it :p.

Isn't that the same as I said, just different? Must be wrong then! :lol:

Oh joy! :D

Now I get to seriously embarrass myself by not only asking a question that bellongs on an 11+ exam, but in addition, asking a question that is so fundamentally flawed through it's lack of accuracy that it is impossible to answer! :lol:

And here it is, you moment you have been waiting for... :p

Give the year of the violent rebelion at a Colonia Claudia in the northern-most region of Rome's Empire.

How very kind of you to shield me from utter humiliation. Niether 69AD nor 70AD are the date I had in mind :p

This could come back to haunt me should it be found I had the wrong date all along! :eek: :lol:

there seem to be more than 1 Colonia Claudia in the north.
1 in Britain and 1 in Germania inferior and probably some more. (the one in Germania inferior actually being Cologne :eek: )
Which one do you mean.

Top Bottom