• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Current v1.13 Development Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the same UP as before. The new UP prevents "tech spread penalty", when you are researching a technology no one has yet discovered, if I understand it correctly. Your case doesn't contradict this.

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to make Scotland and Ireland foreign for the British.

Whatever about Scotland, Ireland was a constant thorn in the side of the British empire, with constant uprisings, unrest and conspiring with nations hostile to England. There was rarely a time when Ireland was peaceful under British rule, the most peaceful time was ironically probably the 50 years before independence occurred until war broke out again (even then the efforts to secure independence came from politicians rather than the gun). It's one of the reasons why Ireland (despite being the Britains 'back garden' was let break away during a time when the empire was at its peak, no solution could be found. Even in recent times the Troubles in the north cost the UK massive amounts of money

Ireland simply isnt so relevant it should have its own civ. Also having independent city in Ireland would be constant target of other civs and it would make even less sense than British Ireland. So thats why it makes most of sense that Ireland is part of British core.

New commit:
- added the Tarim river
- moved oases around in the Tarim basin
- Kashgar and Dunhuang are independent in the 600 AD scenario
- added gems near Kashgar (Khotan jade)

Ireland simply isnt so relevant it should have its own civ. Also having independent city in Ireland would be constant target of other civs and it would make even less sense than British Ireland. So thats why it makes most of sense that Ireland is part of British core.

Maybe not Ireland proper, but the Celts as a whole are relevant.

Just FYI, I spontaneously decided to address happiness resources instead of continuing with map changes (sorry to those who were looking forward to India's enlargement). The AI is really bad here in taking into account the actual consequences of buying or selling resources, so I'm currently trying to make it somewhat smarter there.

In turn, some of the restrictions that make this aspect of diplomacy really boring could be lifted. I could see the AI trading away its last resource if they don't need it, or selling a corporation resource even if they have the corporation themselves if the price is high enough.

I think it'll also be pretty easy to have the AI make "what does it gain us compared to what does it gain you" computations that it doesn't seem to do at all at the moment.

On a somewhat related note, I think corporations need to become less powerful in terms of their output. Making the AI realize how much you gain from resources if you have many corporations is already a good step in that direction, but in many cases the power of corporations also comes from large territory and acquiring resources through that.

In BtS this is partially balanced by corporation upkeep, which I obviously don't want to bring back because of their semi-random spread. However, stacking up resources is currently doubly beneficial because it both attracts corporations and determines their yield. Maybe their effect on the former should be drastically reduced or even completely removed, making infrastructure more important and spreading corporations out over the world more.

What is really weird by the way is that the AI does not seem to take empire size into account at all. So to the AI, a happiness resource is as valuable to a 1 city civ as it is to a 10 city civ. It's even weirder with the gains for corporation resources which are averaged over the number of cities with the applicable corporation for some reason.

Maybe it's just me.. but in many cases i find corporations simply 'undesireable'
usually that's the case when you don't have all that many resources for the corp..
in which case say a 2hammer 1 unhappiness and 1 unhealth from the steel corp..
that 1 unhappiness might bother me more than not getting those 2 hammers..

Basically any civ that doesn't build a huge empire like russia/america etc doesn't really have much use for the 'modern' corporations imo
(civs with less than 4-5 corp resources generally)
or if you already have issues with health/happiness.. in those cases the corps are something you maybe not want in your cities...

New commit: improved AI for resource values:
- for happiness and health, AI considers actual amount gained for all cities that need it
- absolute resource value for corporation output is considered, instead of being averaged over the number of cities
- more accurate value calculation for factors where only the first resource is relevant (such as prereqs for units)
- in resource trades, AI considers value as their gain over your gain
- AI is open to trading away resources for its corporation (but instead demand a price that it considers adequate for the lost output)

I will look at the current tech pace and then I'm off to India again :)

Oh and please report back on how the AI behaves now, it could be that I've missed adjusting some scaling factors, so I'd like to know if the AI suddenly starts demanding insane amounts of gold.

Is this WAD?

Attachments

• This seems wrong.jpg
    This seems wrong.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 252
Haha no, that's what I meant. Can you upload the save for this situation?

On a somewhat related note, I think corporations need to become less powerful in terms of their output. Making the AI realize how much you gain from resources if you have many corporations is already a good step in that direction, but in many cases the power of corporations also comes from large territory and acquiring resources through that.

In BtS this is partially balanced by corporation upkeep, which I obviously don't want to bring back because of their semi-random spread. However, stacking up resources is currently doubly beneficial because it both attracts corporations and determines their yield. Maybe their effect on the former should be drastically reduced or even completely removed, making infrastructure more important and spreading corporations out over the world more.

A way to solve this is by making the bonus vs. amount of resources a logarithmic function, instead of a linear function. Each additional resource will still have a benefit, but the benefit of each additional resource will get smaller.

A way to solve this is by making the bonus vs. amount of resources a logarithmic function, instead of a linear function. Each additional resource will still have a benefit, but the benefit of each additional resource will get smaller.
Yeah, I was thinking of square root, but logarithm would work too.

Now I feel bad for having wasted the entire evening playing Endless Legend.

It's probably German for 'cheers', as in Dutch it'd be 'proost'. :p

That's right. Although you wouldn't say it when ending some kind of message really, only after an actual toast or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom