Cycle of Beltane

The overlords aren't what's keeping Danalin asleep. Danalin being an emo . .. .. .. .. . is what's keeping Danalin asleep. He got butthurt over the loss of the Aifons and knocked himself out, basically.

Aye, but if he ever had a change of heart, I suspect Hastur and/or the Overlords wouldn't want him to get back up, and likely see to it he goes back to bed ASAP.

Given that Devon was killed on his wedding night I doubt that they had any children first. I don't think elves are usually big on premarital sex. I'm pretty sure we would know about i if they did have children by that time.

It is quite possible that they had siblings, but there are no references indicating this.

Given that Devon was killed on his wedding night I doubt that they had any children first. I don't think elves are usually big on premarital sex. I'm pretty sure we would know about i if they did have children by that time.

It is quite possible that they had siblings, but there are no references indicating this.

Well, yeah, obviously not ;). I was wondering if Thessa had any children afterward, or if there were any brothers or sisters. I didn't see any references either though, so maybe one of the children listening to the story could tie it in.

For all we know, Thessa and Hemah end up having kids, once Devon is out of the way. Of course, those kinds of relationships never work out very wel in Erebus...

For all we know, Thessa and Hemah end up having kids, once Devon is out of the way. Of course, those kinds of relationships never work out very wel in Erebus...

Those would be some messed up looking kids...

Ha, In Hemah's dreams! oh wait...

oh man, that just cracked me up!

you know it's bad when you start laughing big time due to jokes based on pedia info on a unit in a computer game. of course it is FfH... that makes everything ok! bad when I use that when I'm supposed to doing homework :lol:
too bad there isn't more info on what happens to Hemah, so far he's one of the most interesting characters in the game.

Ha, In Hemah's dreams! oh wait...

At first I thought this was funny. Then I was confused. The more I thought about it, the more my head hurt. Because it is completely possible. But would the child be real? Could Hemah create a new Thessa that matches his dream image of her? Would that replace the old Thessa? Does that mean every person and thing Hemah sees, interacts with, or thinks about could potentially be replaced by his interpretation of what it is or should be? AAAHH!:confused:

Of course it could be different in Erebus.... but in olden Earth lore... Beltane was precisely a time of pre-marital and extra-marital sex. As a fertility ritual.... the sensuous dances around the fire were for the purpose of leading to celebration through sex.... and yes... children could result!

So... it's possible

Now my head hurts!! :eek::lol:

At first I thought this was funny. Then I was confused. The more I thought about it, the more my head hurt. Because it is completely possible. But would the child be real? Could Hemah create a new Thessa that matches his dream image of her? Would that replace the old Thessa? Does that mean every person and thing Hemah sees, interacts with, or thinks about could potentially be replaced by his interpretation of what it is or should be? AAAHH!:confused:

My guess is that he eventually replaced everything and everyone and eventually changed the name of the world to Earth.

I just read the beltane cycle for the first time. I'm rather curious about the Theresa storyline, and wonder if Kael & co, have filled in the details of this story.

1. Why did seeing the 2 dying deers give Theresa the realize she had to sacrifice Devon to cure the forest blight?

2. Since she waited until her wedding night, does it mean she knew she had to sacrifice her husband? Or in the alternative, she waited for another reason, but she knew she had to sacrifice Devon specifically? Maybe as a result of Hemah and his dream that she would be safe with him?

3. Which then begs the question, I can't imagine the the Ljosalfar were happy finding out she murdered Devon. Assuming she told them she had to do it and why.
I can't really imagine Devon's family letting this matter rest, even if the rest of the society accept it.

If it's acceptable why is she still a leader of the Ljosalfar? If it isn't acceptable...then what happens?

I'm really curious as to what happens next and the ramifications of her actions. And what Hemah's dream was/meant, that Theresa would be safe with him. That does kind of imply, that the Ljosalfar wouldn't be pleased with her sacrifcing Devon, and she would be in danger.

Well... I beleive she had to specifically sacrifice Devon because he is descended from an Angel (or as magister beleives, Agares himself.) The Blood of angels does have a significant power in spell/ritual casting (see Auric's quest for rebirth)

(or as magister beleives, Agares himself.)

I never said and don't believe that.

The closest thing I recall ever proposing is that maybe Devon could actually be descended from a servant of Mammon (possibly even Hastur, making him a more comely and subtle brother of Mardero). There isn't a whole lot to back this up, just 2 things:
1. Devon has green eyes, which in our culture are associated with Envy and thus with the sphere of Mammon. (Of course, green is also associated with Nature so he could be descended from an angel of Sucellus as he claims, just like Gower was descended from Cernunnos himself and was the one to die last time.) He is also quite possessive of Thessa.
2. Devon's presence and relationship with Thessa may be considered an emotional torture that hurts Hemah more than the creations of his dreams, in comparison to which he no longer finds his dreams disturbing (which means he then become reckless and no longer tries to suppress his dreams, and so allows them to cause a great deal of harm and bring chaos to Erebus). As Hemah might be a sort of avatar of Danalin, this would be torturing and driving the sleeping god mad. Even if Hemah is just a "normal" man, he is the focus of Danalin's dreams and so the god would "feel his pain." Either way, it seems that Devon my be associated with the whispers of Hastur. Of course, he doesn't have to be descended from a demon to be part of a demon's plan.

yeah, could someone maybe explain Thessa's choice to me? I mean, it just seems like... kinda arbitrary. like I get that it requires a soul and all, but that seems remarkably crude, even for someone with a double FoL and elven heritage (like, super-crazy about the woods).

it just seems like she'd at least ask him first. or, you know, share her findings with the greater public and hope that a volunteer (of which there would probably be many, especially of like, old people or something) to step forward before just doing that to her husband.

unless he was the cause of it? I don't know. I'm not saying I particularly care either way, it's just something that left me scratching my head and being like "... wait. what?"

I don't think a regulare volenteer would work (other elves didn't wern't half-angel), and it probable had to be a true sacrefice (read: murder).

She had to do something to not only save her forest but the ljosalfar nation from the corruption. She did the only thing that she knew would work. There wasn't enough time for her to find volunteers and there aren't all that many half angels. Someone might have tried to stop her if they knew what she was going to do.

It's nice but I don't like parts of it from a storyteller's point of view.
There's quite the break in the story with Hemah. At first he seems like a nice guy. Not a good one, but not an evil one either. He must have come up with the excuse, even when "they" had prepared it. Alazkan doesn't care for it, hence him killing the disciple and wouldn't even come up with such an idea, I guess. And then Hemah doesn't even think of getting rid of Alazkan, even while knowing that the other would hardly hesitate to do the same to him.

And then he just lets off the incense without caring about his dreams hurting/killing others and him just manifesting what is probably the worst plague imaginable. Such a ruthless notion surprised me a bit and is not quite consistent with the first depiction of him...

yeah, could someone maybe explain Thessa's choice to me? I mean, it just seems like... kinda arbitrary. like I get that it requires a soul and all, but that seems remarkably crude, even for someone with a double FoL and elven heritage (like, super-crazy about the woods).

it just seems like she'd at least ask him first. or, you know, share her findings with the greater public and hope that a volunteer (of which there would probably be many, especially of like, old people or something) to step forward before just doing that to her husband.

unless he was the cause of it? I don't know. I'm not saying I particularly care either way, it's just something that left me scratching my head and being like "... wait. what?"

If she'd ask him, and/or the Elven people then she may have got the wrong answer.

There may not have been many who'd remember, but there would still be someone that would have remebered her having "form" from reading the Necromantic tome.

As has been said, Devon was chosen because of his Angelic parent, and the extra power this could channel into her spell.

Presumably seeing the corruption abated is enough for the Ljosalfjar to see that her actions were for the 'greater good', though no doubt it would leave many questioning her and perhaps would need the influence of Arendyl to prevent sanctions against her

Regarding Hemah, initially he comes across as fairly nonchalent to others to me - and as such more evil than neutral. I read it that in Thessa there is a small window where he could become a good man - but his hope is quickly dashed as realises that he's got no chance.

His relationship with Alazkan seems based on an attempt to at least be able to control his dreams - and thus help protect himself. At that point he feels he needs the Svalt (and as such Alazkan) to help him do that - and indeed there seems like an implied history of working together with Alazkan that perhaps in itself had been a good distraction from his...err..personal issues.

They seem equally fearfull of each other to me - probably because they know the kind of things that each have been capable of, but similarly because they suspect that each has a fair few tricks up their sleeves that they don't know about. I read it that at the time of departure Hemah suspects that their paths will diverge, but a small part of him thinks that if things with Thessa don't go well then they could well team back up together....but after meeting Thessa he knows full well he'll choose his own path.

Why can't he ever have good dreams? Most dreams I've had are this kind of nightmare...
What would happen if he dreamed that he no longer had the power to dream reality?
Or what if he dreamed that the gods no longer existed?
Just how far does his power extend? Can he destroy angels by dreaming of them dying?

Top Bottom