• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

damn these new maps!

montalaar

Chieftain
as if with these stupid lakes on pagea maps was not enough, now we have increased amount of mountains and other "features".
started play as hungary. pangea, standart size. of all maps i generated up to 40% of tiles were unusable. lakes, mountains, deserts, "features". just great!

i wish id make screenshot, but one of maps of hungary starting position was settler on shore of 4 tile lake, after one tile to east was river, other side of river ALL mountains, other side of lake ALL desert. so, i would have city on lake with 4 workable tiles, few hills with jungle on west side of river and mountains block all east riverside. atrocious starts. oh, and geysers were somewhere. its absurd.

now mods are only option to play. sad, very sad.

Hmm. I like seeing lakes and mountains on maps.

Jungle hills are usually decent starting tiles and can be chopped and mined later, so don't see a problem there.
it is ok, if few tiles would be unusable. but if around third and it is pangea, then no.

plus it is hungary. with its ability to reduce district cost on other shore of river. and there is no such thing, despite there is a river.

rolled like 20 maps. one finally was acceptable.

Eh I think the new map generation is brilliant. Feels so much more dynamic and interesting compared to the old maps that kinda ended up feeling same-y a lot of the time

The only map of GS I've played thus far immediately had this crazy mountain ridge creating a whole subsection of a continent to the east that was locked away from the south until I got tunnels, mixed in with the new tectonic activity and volcanoes and whatnot it's pretty interesting

Eh I think the new map generation is brilliant. Feels so much more dynamic and interesting compared to the old maps that kinda ended up feeling same-y a lot of the time

The only map of GS I've played thus far immediately had this crazy mountain ridge creating a whole subsection of a continent to the east that was locked away from the south until I got tunnels, mixed in with the new tectonic activity and volcanoes and whatnot it's pretty interesting

To me, that's a beautiful map. And with tunnels opening up the map for late game, it makes all the areas actually usable.

I've still yet to play it, but from what I've seen, the new map generation looks awesome. Makes me hopefull that we could someday get a couple more biomes (savannah and mangroves), waterfalls, deltas and navigatable rivers.

sure, its all nice and dandy, but map generator tries to squeeze these features in too few tiles. one city can have desert in northern tiles and tundra on southern. mix in all mountains, jungles and whatever and i do not see how dropping so many different terrains in one city perimeter makes maps more natural.

got finally nice map, made globe old, so have less mountains, but! now literally all my rivers are floodplains. all of them. every single river. how is that natural? and mind you, it is hungary.

Well, it's the classic dichotomy between the players who admire the maps for the exploration, visuals and narrative, or the ones who see them as a backdrop for the important thing: the yields. I'm more of the former, though, so the maps are great for me.

Well, it's the classic dichotomy between the players who admire the maps for the exploration, visuals and narrative, or the ones who see them as a backdrop for the important thing: the yields. I'm more of the former, though, so the maps are great for me.
I can't parse your categories. I like maps for exploration and yields. 'Civ' and 'narrative' don't sound like related concepts.

Top Bottom