Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that would be too easy!! The Cataphracts have to be powerful enough to at least be able to combat (in small numbers) a barbarian onslaught from the north, then the Arabs from the south and the Persians from the East, Romans from the west, possibly the greeks, babylonians, and Camel Archer barbarians. Then there is the Turks later on...
The I have learned to wait to settle Baghdad a few turns so i can defend it well enough with Muskets.

How much buff does India need? I can probably supply it whether it is food, production or commerce. Remember for centuries India had 20-25% of the world's GDP!

But that would be too easy!! The Cataphracts have to be powerful enough to at least be able to combat (in small numbers) a barbarian onslaught from the north, then the Arabs from the south and the Persians from the East, Romans from the west, possibly the greeks, babylonians, and Camel Archer barbarians. Then there is the Turks later on...
The I have learned to wait to settle Baghdad a few turns so i can defend it well enough with Muskets.

I'm sorry, but that really should not be the case at all. I would have to disagree with you on that. The Byzantines although I'm fine with them being able to play defensively but, they should not be aggressively attacking their neighbors. I would much rather have, the Byzantines guarding their Anatolian, Greek and Southern Italian cities rather than them going out and snapping longbowmen like toothpicks. Currently Cataphrats are wayyy to powerful, and need to be nerfed, after that (plus the additional city in the Balkans and in Sicily), I think the Byzantines will be great! No problem whats so ever!

How much buff does India need? I can probably supply it whether it is food, production or commerce. Remember for centuries India had 20-25% of the world's GDP!

I have to agree with you on this. But lets not digress because Leoreth is tackling own issue at a time, and I'm sure when he finally gets to making the Persians and Indians respawn he will give a boost to the Indian civilization.

Maybe the cataphracts need to be retooled to fill a more defensive role, i.e. reducing their strength bonus and giving them the ability to fortify instead.

Maybe the cataphracts need to be retooled to fill a more defensive role, i.e. reducing their strength bonus and giving them the ability to fortify instead.

Couldn't' agree more; and if you could give the Arabs engineering to start off with, I think they would be great!

I really don't think the is an issue with the Arabs, the AI does well as them in my experience and I have no problem rebuilding the Caliphate. Personally (and no offence intended The Turk) if you have a huge difficulty as the Arabs then you are probably just not a very good player.

Following this issue coming up I had another go as the Arabs, managed to conquer every Byzantine city in Asia and Africa and had 4 Camel Archers ready for an incursion into Persia except that the barbs had burned it down. :(

I think that making the Cataphracts defensive would make it harder and not easier to taker on the Byzantines. Also if they start with Engineering I don't think they should start with Pikemen but have to build their own.

Then I'd prefer to have them start with Pikemen, but without the tech.

I'm sorry, but that really should not be the case at all. I would have to disagree with you on that. The Byzantines although I'm fine with them being able to play defensively but, they should not be aggressively attacking their neighbors. I would much rather have, the Byzantines guarding their Anatolian, Greek and Southern Italian cities rather than them going out and snapping longbowmen like toothpicks. Currently Cataphrats are wayyy to powerful, and need to be nerfed, after that (plus the additional city in the Balkans and in Sicily), I think the Byzantines will be great! No problem whats so ever!

I have to agree with you on this. But lets not digress because Leoreth is tackling own issue at a time, and I'm sure when he finally gets to making the Persians and Indians respawn he will give a boost to the Indian civilization.

Plans for future features: slightly buff the Indian subcontinent

and it's neutral, that is to say neither bold nor italics

I had a closer look on the core area thing. First, I don't want to mess around, I just want to make some suggestions to maybe improve the Mod.
Well, the core areas for the HRE/Germany on the borders are those:
Spoiler :

I numberred it serially from top left to bottem right. And I think, there are some mistakes in there;
Okay, I try to comment on them as detailed as possible:

1+5: these are Danish regions, and they ever were, just as
2+3+6 Swedish areas are and always were.
Makes sense, I'll take them out.

13+17+18 are marked as foreign areas. But on 17+18 are very important German cities located, such as Köln, Aachen or the Ruhr-Area. Also
22+24+27: there were cities like Trier, Worms, Speyer, Basel, St.Gallen. Those were/are very important cities for the HRE/Germany! The Rhine-area was in the middle-ages something like the cultural middle of the HRE...
Yeah, I agree, but one also has to take into account that France needs its space (seeing these situations I'm always surprised there are people who say Europe is too large). Making 13 and 17 yellow and 18 light green is no problem. 22+24+27 can't be any better than yellow (which means its in Germany's historical area but in France's core), because I think Paris deserves its full BFC more than Frankfurt.

But you're right, the tiles east of the Rhine should definitely be in Germany's core.

29+31+32 were also very important parts of the HRE (29: Verona, 31: Triest, 32: Laibach), especially Triest was the most important harbour for the Habsburgs.
Agreed, but again, they can't be better than yellow because else I'd have to take away the core of the civ that owns it (Rome/Italy), which doesn't make sense historically.

But if you take a look East, to
11+12+15+16+20+21: this region is marked as core area, but in fact,
15+16+20+21 were never part of the HRE or Germany, these areas are core-Poland, so they should be contested between the Germans and the Russians, as Poland is actually splitted into these Civs.
26+28 also were never really (important) parts of the HRE/Germany.
My assumption is that Rhye granted Poland as a German core to compensate them for the pressure they get from the Netherlands and France, and I think I'll go with that. Russia doesn't need that space so much because they can still expand to Siberia. Maybe it's possible to take away the easternmost column from their core though (by the way, 26+28 are part of the German core because of the prominent German minority there until 1918 ("Siebenbürgen")).

I don't know whether you are still looking for non-religious European wonders from the medieval era but if so how about the Torre del Mangia?

Also I was wondering about Greenwich park as a wonder although it is too late to count as medieval by quite a stretch (probably scientific Method). To quote from the World Heritage Convention:
Criterion (i): The public and private buildings and the Royal Park at Greenwich form an exceptional ensemble that bears witness to human artistic and creative endeavour of the highest quality.

Criterion (ii): Maritime Greenwich bears witness to European architecture at an important stage of its evolution, exemplified by the work of great architects such as Inigo Jones and Christopher Wren who, inspired by developments on the continent of Europe, each shaped the architectural development of subsequent generations, while the Park exemplifies the interaction of man and nature over two centuries.

Criterion (iv): The Palace, Royal Naval College, and Royal Park demonstrate the power, patronage, and influence of the Crown in the 17th and 18th centuries and its illustration through the ability to plan and integrate culture and nature into an harmonious whole.

Criterion (vi): Greenwich is associated with outstanding architectural and artistic achievements as well as with scientific endeavour of the highest quality through the development of navigation and astronomy at the Royal Observatory, leading to the establishment of the Greenwich Meridian and Greenwich Mean Time as world standards.

Thats why I think, if you want to do something with Eastern Europe, I would suggest just adding a Polish civilization, OR just add one or two independent cities (very well defended), that Germany will have to capture. I think that makes the most sense. Plus it also gives the option for some increased battles between Germany and Russia.

Personally, I like the idea of a well defended polish city. I suggest a city that doesn't interfere TOO MUCH with Konigsburg. Maybe Krakow?

Also, a defensive cataphract? That would be nice. I was thinking... why not give it the regular attack of a knight but give it additional attack within your borders. There is also giving them a disadvantage when attacking cities that could be applied so they would be used more defensively but wouldn't eat through longbowman. Also, Kairob, try an immediate attempt at a conquest of Iberia and the West and see how long it takes for the Byzantine AI to conquer Baghdad. Not long at all. They like to send over invading armies pretty quickly.

I have conquered Iberia as the Arabs. If you guys really think the Cataphract is an issue then why not just make it a Horse Archer replacement, that way it could still be a very good UU and still be useless against the Arabs?

Just a little suggestion is to correct my mistakes in russian city-names map. :lol: Please, replace Izevsk with Izhevsk and also first city in the number of cities outsite should be Brjansk, not Brjanks.

Also tried to rebalance Eastern Europe as posted above, Vilnus seems powerful counterweight both to Germany and Russia early on but IMO it would be better to move both city and cows 1 tile S (but anyway historically Vilnus was founded in XIV century if i'm not mistaken).
Spoiler :

I would rather go with Cracow and Riga/Reval standing for Poland and the Baltics. Cracow was until the late 16. century the capital of the Kingdom of Poland. Cracow with a strong garrison (maybe even 1-2 offensive units?) and walls should lead to an interesting issue for the HRE/Germany.
(I usually use the starting army of the HRE to conquer Venice in one turn...maybe venice should get a stronger garrison, too...)

About the Rhine area/Köln/Aachen:
How about setting Colonia as independant city, switching as Reims to the French, when they spawn, and switching as Aachen to Germany/HRE, when the Germans spawn.
Is it possible to set a 50/50 chance, that Aachen switches to the Dutch as Lüttich or stay with the Germans as Köln in 1500 ad? If not, Aachen should still rename to Köln at ~1530 ad.
This would be quite historical, because Aachen was the capital of the empire of the Franks and came with the splitting of the empire to the German Empire, beeing the coronation-location for the German kings up to 1531 ad.
Also it would be really nice to have a city there, being contested by the French, Germans and the Dutch, I think.

...just my 2 cents :)

Ya I agree, Krakow would be a more important and city to add in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom