Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

The holy city. It is necessary for Judaism and Taoism.

Having 10 pleased or higher relations with European civs as HRE is very hard. I wasn't able to achieve it, especially since I can't break vassals relations in good terms or set free civilizations and get diplomatic bonus (Poland, Greece, Italy...). Maybe I was too over cautious and should had break vassals relations in bad terms before or while Prussia was spawning and tried to amend my relations from that... The 10 great artist and/or statesman is hard but is doable, specially if you run Republic, Monasticism and build a National Theater in Vienna, for the happiness.

Last edited:
It is difficult already to have 10 civs in Europe in 19c.
Poland always crashes before 1800,
Sweden repeats collapsing and respawning (basically for the entire game from Renaissance Era and on),
Italy is unlikely to have spawned if you have achieved your first UHV condition,
and you cant be sure that Greece would respawn in time.

That leaves Eng, Fra, Spa, Por, Ned, Pru, Rus and Ott.
And dont forget you need to vassalize 3 civs for the 2nd goal
And your 3rd goal requires independent civs.

I think the relations goal should either be further toned down or changed to something else, possibly involvng World Congresses.

Hello - I've been lurking for a long time and rarely comment but I'd just like to say that I am so amazed by this mod and the ongoing work you've put into it over the years. Thank you so much!

I did have a question regarding AI England and its tech rate. If this has been discussed before I apologize, but I wasn't able to find anything. In almost every game I play, Britain (usually around the year 1600-1700) begins to blast past all the other civs on the map. In this particular play, they entered the global age around 1790, after being in the industrial age for only a handful of turns. Out of curiosity I peaked in the world builder and saw that they had researched every industrial tech and had about 3 global techs. This is fairly typical, is it a bug or is that supposed to happen? Is there any way to curtail it? For context, at the turn Britain entered the global age, the next leader in tech (me as France) had researched about 3 industrial techs. Thanks again!

That is not too hard to see.
Usually if that happens it is the burden and duty of the player to kill the monster Englamd has become..

I tried a USA domination game, but kept hitting a wall on population. Basically I have 36% of world population and 25% of territory, but the pop counter keeps rising for some reason. it hit 42% when I crept up to 36%. Now I'm basically just racing to get the population goal but it isn't working. Can someone explain how the pop requirement for domination counter changes?

I tried a USA domination game, but kept hitting a wall on population. Basically I have 36% of world population and 25% of territory, but the pop counter keeps rising for some reason. it hit 42% when I crept up to 36%. Now I'm basically just racing to get the population goal but it isn't working. Can someone explain how the pop requirement for domination counter changes?

You need to have 20% more of total population than any other civ if I am not mistaken. The condition being 42% means that somebody else has 22% of world population.

Hello - I've been lurking for a long time and rarely comment but I'd just like to say that I am so amazed by this mod and the ongoing work you've put into it over the years. Thank you so much!

I did have a question regarding AI England and its tech rate. If this has been discussed before I apologize, but I wasn't able to find anything. In almost every game I play, Britain (usually around the year 1600-1700) begins to blast past all the other civs on the map. In this particular play, they entered the global age around 1790, after being in the industrial age for only a handful of turns. Out of curiosity I peaked in the world builder and saw that they had researched every industrial tech and had about 3 global techs. This is fairly typical, is it a bug or is that supposed to happen? Is there any way to curtail it? For context, at the turn Britain entered the global age, the next leader in tech (me as France) had researched about 3 industrial techs. Thanks again!
Thanks for playing!

England is tough to balance because their performance strongly depends on how much they colonise. I assume they have a large colonial empire in your game?

Speaking of population, the game seems to underestimate world population when it calculates it for the statistics page.
This is something that barely anyone cares, but it feels weird when you control entire China and the game tells you that you have only 500M pop.

By what metric am I not invited to this world congress?

(yes, at one point I added 100.000 gold because I couldn't avert bankruptcy within the time I had :p)

If that's the case, that's working as intended.

Alright. When I ended this war with France, I was only invited as an observer, whereas this war consisted of France declaring war on me (to colonise South-East Asia). Shouldn't I have been a participant in that congress?

Not necessarily, although that is mostly a consequence of how wars are handled in the code. The game doesn't really remember who started the war and who joined due to which alliance. It's just a bunch or peer-to-peer wars.

I just found out there exist three different functions in the code to relocate a capital. The rewrite cannot start early enough.

I suppose this would be a pretty low prio issue considering the imminent release of a new version, but here it goes anyways:

In the 1700 AD scenario, Spain begins the game with a -200 GPT deficit at the beginning of the game with 0% research. I understand that Spain had severe difficulties during this period, but I think this crosses the line from "difficult challenge" to "game-ruining issue". Your empire enters into strike in like the 3-4th turn of the game. Another issue is that you can't even grant your colonies independence manually, so you have very few avenues to remedy the issue even if you want to concede most of your territory

Yeah, Ive noticed that some civs have quite severe inflation in the 1700ad scenario. India's inflation also has a quite fast growth rate as well. Human players can counter it, but I doubt it would be the same for AI.

Quick question: Is the effect that satellite intercepting nukes by SDI for the satellites that are available for the satellite which joined the city or only the ones not joined city yet?

Top Bottom