Dawn of Civilization General Discussion

Yes, changing stability maps work differently now and I did not adapt the worldbuilder functionality to change them.

Is there a place where the info is available about when/how they change?

Assets/Python/Periods.py is your best bet.

AI Tamil conquerors that spawn on Sumatra.

I mean, when? How is it triggered?

For example, any human or AI Old World civ who meets a Mesoamerican civ gets theirs, AI British and French as soon as they access Musketeers, Spain gets one on Cordoba around the 1200s (don't know what causes it), and so on.

They are time based conquerors like the Greek, Roman etc. ones.

Assets/Python/Periods.py is your best bet.

Thanks, I see the circumstances of period changes in that file, but is there a place to see what the new stability maps are other than in game after the period switches? It's been a very long time since I've looked in any of the program files and the code rewrites seem to have changed a lot.

They are also in SettlerMaps, as updates applied on the existing base maps.

I'd like to announce that, effective immediately, I'm leaving civfanatics. I've tried to make amends with Leoreth multiple times to no avail. I've come to accept the fact that he wants nothing to do with me, and so I have no reason to stay here. If you're reading this Leoreth, I wish you the best, I've always respected and looked up to you, and always will. I'm sorry I hurt you, but I'm glad you were in my life. Dawn of Civilization made me a better person, taught me more than any teacher I've ever had, and it's all thanks to you.

I've tried to make amends with Leoreth multiple times to no avail.
I don't think that ever happened. Going back to using polite words and please and thank yous when you want something from me is not a conciliatory gesture in my book.

I'm sorry I hurt you,
You don't have to worry about that, it was more a question of whether I want to continue engaging in interactions that cost me time and nerves.

I don't think that ever happened. Going back to using polite words and please and thank yous when you want something from me is not a conciliatory gesture in my book.

Apologies, I'm a bit of a social idiot. What can I do to make amends?

That's fine. Honestly actually using the word apology in any way even just in this context already goes a long way. If you actually want to talk, my PMs are open, I don't think anything else needs to be said on this publicly.

Just know that I am neither mad at you nor hurt or anything. Under normal circumstances I would have simply waited for some time and then unblocked you. So really there is not much to do but wait for things to cool down a little.

Not sure where to post this since I'm a bit new in the DoC forums. I have been playing for Historical Victories through each civ, and I just wanted to share my newly aquired India victory. :D

It took several tries but I finally did it! I had 172 population by the end.
Spoiler screenshots :

Civ4ScreenShot0322.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0320.JPG

That's great! You even did it in the spirit of the goal without expanding outside of the subcontinent.

That's great! You even did it in the spirit of the goal without expanding outside of the subcontinent.
Yeah well I tried that and got creamed by the Turks. :lol:

Started over... a lot and tried to do it historically.

Is the Italy spawn no longer conditional? I've seen it pop up in a few games with no independent cities in Italy (and I remember some chat about it in one of the let's play threads), and is there a way to make it conditional again?

Italy's spawn is now only conditional on Rome being dead.

Italy's spawn is now only conditional on Rome being dead.

Interesting, feels bad when trying to control Italy early but also does lead to more dynamic gameplay overall. Is that updated in the Civilopedia? I think that was what confused me earlier.

Also, would it be possible to put in documentation in the Civilopedia for when/how certain civ core areas change, like they used to be in the Worldbuilder? I can eventually find it in the python files but I imagine other people would also want to plan around those changes without having to dig through the code.

I feel like there's so much information that deserves to be in the Civilopedia, but hasn't been updated, that it'd make more sense to treat it as a community project rather than dump it all on Leoreth's shoulders, especially given how much work he's doing elsewhere.

The only problem is figuring out where the Civilopedia is in need of an update. Leoreth, do you keep a running tab of what changes need to be marked in the Civilopedia, or what changes you've already made? We could potentially use the changelog you post here to identify changes, create a Google document or a spreadsheet to track each change, and then individuals can volunteer to work on the wording.

I have no idea what sort of programming or coding might be involved in turning it into a usable update, but I'd certainly be willing to help with the 'add & update text on a page' side of things.

Thinking of which changes contradict information that is already in the civilopedia is unfortunately the hardest part of this. So I think any work on this needs to start with someone sighting through civilopedia (mostly the concepts and hints sections) to find where it is outdated.

The text itself is easy to edit, it's right there in an XML file.

Is there any way for us to edit or remove the regional restrictions to religions? I'd really like to spread Buddhism westward as Tibet, for example.

Top Bottom