Dec07 GOTM: Winter Wonderland

Hey guys!

Been a Civ1 player since.. the Amiga 500 times. Guess I started around 15 years or so ago. And I´ve never had a main computer since then that hasn´t had Civ1 installed on it.

I´ve been very busy and done alot of travel lately but now I seem to have some time on my hands. I was thinking that I might give the GOTM a try.

Seeing as this is the Dec07 GOTM I assume it is closed for submission. Any new planned GOTM coming up soon?

Cheers!

welcome to the gotm p3ak!

i belief as long as there is no new gotm and the results arent posted in the hall of fame yet u can have a try on the december game. its a quiet nice map, its worth playing!!!

good luck:goodjob:

Hmm, ok I guess I will have a try at it then. Never was a big fan of the space race thingy but I guess it´s nice to try other things once in a while. Party party tonight though, and perhaps work on monday. But we´ll see what I can do with the rest of the time.

;)

Ohh and how the heck do I get that reply file out? Is that a file inside the Civ folder or do I need some external prog to get that out? (How funny I´ve never thought about it, once I played the game I usually throw it away and that´s it. Never thought about the replays)

Hmm, ok I guess I will have a try at it then. Never was a big fan of the space race thingy but I guess it´s nice to try other things once in a while. Party party tonight though, and perhaps work on monday. But we´ll see what I can do with the rest of the time.

;)

Ohh and how the heck do I get that reply file out? Is that a file inside the Civ folder or do I need some external prog to get that out? (How funny I´ve never thought about it, once I played the game I usually throw it away and that´s it. Never thought about the replays)

You just save the replay when the option comes up during the game (when you've won or lost) and the file will be held inside your folder on the harddrive that contains the CIV files (its called replay.txt).

Heys Folks!!

I am sorry to say that i erased my saved games!! But i had great fun with the GOTM!!

I won, at the second try because in the first one i was surpassed by the chinese!

I really loved the map and the chinese's competition!! Darn Mao!!

Well I never tried the Winterland GOTM since the WWII scenario came out merely a few hours after I wrote here. So I directly jumped on that one.

I did however only play the first version of the WWII (that some thought to easy, jikes!). I did conquer the WWII v1 scenario. But I´m ashamed to admit that during the last 20 turns or so I lost interest and used the settler cheat to enhance the existing roads into railroads to speed up the troop movement and just be done with it.

Sorry! I´m weak, I couldn´t resist! :(

I was planning on giving v2 a try but seeing that I needed 3 tries to deal with the first one (plus that I ended up cheating) the project landed on the shelf. Perhaps I´ll give it a try now.. haven´t played for a while.

I think my problem is that I´m too much of a perfectionist. I can´t just go all in on a war campaign unless I got all areas covered and a huge unbeatable army with a steady, close to perfect, backup flow.... I like to be in control.

Nice work @simonnomis ! So many out there probably have no idea that there was a Civ1 scenario making community, I sure as hell didn't until I first joined this forum a few years back lol! However it of course makes sense when there's excellent map & game editors out there like JCivED (although this predates that so presumably you used one of the old editors). I'm definitely gonna have to cover your work in my big HD Civ scenarios video series I'm working on!

I understand why you guys used CivDOS instead of CivWin (bad graphics & sound lol) however these days we have Honza's awesome DOS graphics CivWin mod and my Soundtrack Overhaul CivWin mod so I thought it would be fun to convert your excellent scenario to CivWin using the CivCracker map & game editor (which can convert save files from DOS to Win) and have attached the file to this post if others wish to play it. CivWin also supports custom save file names which makes scenario sharing and collection organising much easier!

Looks good, although funnily enough CivWin's original graphics actually suit this scenario due to how 'snowflakey' the snow and tundra squares look lol.

Here's some screenshots comparing the two. Map is revealed just for the pictures to show how cool your work is but kept the window small (instead of an HD one) to avoid big spoilers. Had to show the minimap though as I love it haha!

Converted scenario with DOS graphics mod:

Converted scenario with original graphics:

Attachment removed at 25 hits and moved to downloads area here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/winter-wonderland-scenario-civdos-civwin.29029/

Last edited:
Quick update!

As promised I've showcased your work in my big new Playing Civilization 1 in HD with Mods & Scenarios video tour here:

I've also included your scenario in my big scenario preservation project I'm working on!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ1-scenario-mod-preservation-project-log.672488/

I've removed my download from the above post (counter was at 25 downloads) and I've now added it (along with your original DOS save files and a info text file crediting you) in a 7zip file to the CFC Civ1 downloads area along with Moddb & Internet Archive to ensure your work is never lost. Should you wish to make any updates or changes to the files just let me know. :)
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/winter-wonderland-scenario-civdos-civwin.29029/

As you'll see I got the admins to create a new Civ1 scenario downloads area to put them in! I also saw people posting here a while back this old GOTM sub forum should probably be renamed to a scenario creation forum since there hadn't been monthly activities in a long time so I got them to partially rename this forum too. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom