DemoGame PBEM Cage Match: donsig vs. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi

The Return
This is the tale of two CivFanatics. Both of them have a long history in CFC's Democracy Game. Both are long on opinions and short on patience. And yet, neither one of them seems to agree with the other when it comes to forwarding the game.

Ladies and gentlemen.....it had to come to this. ;)

In this corner...... is the favorite. A pillar of the CFC community, donsig is a veteran of both the GOTM(Civ2 & Civ3) and the Democracy Game. In the latter, he stands as a controversial figure whose frankness seems to have earned him the begrudging respect of the populace. donsig is also known for his uncanny ability to fit insightful 1000-word dissertations of policy into one paragraph. ;)

And in this....other....corner is the relative newcomer, and challenger. Donovan Zoi has hardly ever set foot outside of the comforts of the Democracy Game, and as such was rewarded the opportunity to moderate that Forum. :mischief: And while he can talk a good game on Civ3 strategy, not much is known of his playing ability. Zoi has never played a Civ3 GOTM, nor participated in a PBEM game.

Now starts the warm-up.

The two contenders would like input on which type of game should be played. What size map? How many AI? Any victory condition? Please post what you would like to see between these two fierce rivals. You will get statements from both of them shortly.

Now, go grab some refreshments and get ready to RUMBLE. It's on!

I think it would be interesting if a cultural or a domination victory were the only possible victory outcomes for this game. :mischief:

We need input on which countries we should play as well!

Cultural or domination only? Let me see, which one would I pick...? ;)

donsig - you are the master Orator - using words and logic to sway people.

There is only one country for you - the masters of philosophy and logic, the Greeks!

DZ - you are more direct in your approach, but only once you have decided on you path. Until then, you are quiet, allowing others to bring forth ideas. Once you have started down the path, you are resolute! For you, the mightly Samurai of Japan!

-- Ravensfire

Ah, come on. I've been playing the democracy game longer than DZ. Hell, I beat him in a DG2 Presidential Election.

And donsig? I've beaten him out of the Vice Presidency and the top Judicial spot.

I don't get an invite to play? :p

Never mind. This'll be interesting to watch from the sidelines. :D

No Spaceship or Diplomatic Victory. No respawn, no double production. Eight civs including the humans. Humans choose their favorites to play, all other tribes are random. Large Continent, 5000 years. :) Good luck to both of you Gorinians!

Wow, the seats are starting to fill up! A veritable Who's Who of the Democracy Game has turned out for this event. Even "Mayor" Cyc has come back to see what all the fuss is about! Welcome to all!

And there's XIII, no doubt stopping by to lend support to a fellow.....hey, wait a minute. :hmm: :D

The game will start shortly. So far Cyc has come the closest to the type of game I would like to play, but I am still open to suggestions. I am also curious which conditions my opponent would find suitable.

@donsig - I currently have 1.21. If this is not compatible with your patch, should we both upgrade to 1.27? Let me know what you have, and we'll figure it out from there.

Everyone, please continue to offer ideas and stay tuned......

About patches, 1.27 and 1.21 are compatible in PBEM's.
Are you going on a random map or is someone creating a map for you?

Good question, puwen. :)

I had figured we would just use a random map, but would be interested to have map creation discussed further if donsig is game.

However, I think random may be best because then no one but the software decides whether we face off early or later in the game.

I'm still using v1.21 in the Dual Alliance game. If XII upgrades (or we finish that one off before this one starts) then I wouldn't mind upgrading to v1.27.

Since this is a match to pit our respective playing styles against one another perhaps it would be best to have all victory conditions on. I don't mind a random map but that always has pitfalls since one of us may get a better starting position that the other. A map made by a neutral party could ensure we get an equal start.

When we come right down to it I'm pretty much game for anything though. :)

If XII upgrades (or we finish that one off before this one starts) then I wouldn't mind upgrading to v1.27.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't spell XIII's name right all the time. :p

Also, I could volunteer to create a more 'interesting' map than what the random map generator could throw out. :D :mwaha:

Originally posted by donsig
I'm still using v1.21 in the Dual Alliance game. If XII upgrades (or we finish that one off before this one starts) then I wouldn't mind upgrading to v1.27.
I've already patched to 1.27 the weekend it came out... :p

I told you, but you never listened... :nono: :)

Originally posted by Donovan Zoi
And there's XIII, no doubt stopping by to lend support to a fellow.....hey, wait a minute. :hmm: :D
Sorry, pal. Much as I like you, but don and I went back a long long long ways... :p :)

I'm just watching because I moderate these forums. ;)

Top Bottom