Demonic barbarians seem way too overpowering in the latest release.

Bahmo

King
Going out into uncharted terrain, a vital part of grabbing up all the best resources, is now made nearly impossible due to this. I'm all for a good fight, but this is too much of a distraction from the intended military challenge of conquering your enemies. In fact, while I was busy fighting Hyborem, a ridiculously pimped out Ira invaded my territory and leveled a city. Not just caught with my pants down, either; I fought it with everything I could and still failed--and I won against Hyborem's armies. Something's wrong when the game's like that.

Going out into uncharted terrain, a vital part of grabbing up all the best resources, is now made nearly impossible due to this. I'm all for a good fight, but this is too much of a distraction from the intended military challenge of conquering your enemies. In fact, while I was busy fighting Hyborem, a ridiculously pimped out Ira invaded my territory and leveled a city. Not just caught with my pants down, either; I fought it with everything I could and still failed--and I won against Hyborem's armies. Something's wrong when the game's like that.

What difficulty, mapsize, gamespeed?

I'd think when armageddon is a your doorstep, comquering someone else should be the least of your worries. Survival should take priority. When there are big nasty demons at the door, you should be keeping your heroes at home, and fighting defensively. Demons tend to wipe out the world.

It's called Armageddon for a reason :)

I like the new Armageddon. Gives the game a new dimension. The only thing that disturbs me is blood of phoenix. This means that someone else gets the weapon for that I had to do great efforts AND that he is running around through the AI that can't handle it. And I cannot remove the :yuck:/:mad: created by them.
Furthermore I think the Barbarian Heroes should be strengthen too. As it is right now having the barbarian trait is more a disadvantage than an advantage as you cannot get Orthus Axe that is acquired by sacrificing a few warriors. And yes Tum-Tum... Let's do not talk about him as his weakness is so fricking obvious.

Hey, Orthus nearly killed me last night.
He showed up on my doorstep with Combat I-V, Commando, Heroic Strength 1+2, Woodsman, and Drill I-II. If he had shown up at any other city than my capital/production stronghold, I would have been eighty two kinds of screwed. As it was I had to sacrifice 20 Velite (building one every single turn) before I could kill the jerk.

And not being harassed by the random orcish hordes in general means you have an easier early game.

Mostly, we need to work on more ways to reduce AC for players who realize that the demons are too much for them. But they are MEANT to kick the crud out of you if the AC gets high enough and Hell spreads far enough. (Hyborem coming into the world pretty much by definition means both are satisfied)

The problem is that Infernal Pact isn't too far up the tech tree for a player or AI who decides to beeline it.

I'd think when armageddon is a your doorstep, comquering someone else should be the least of your worries. Survival should take priority. When there are big nasty demons at the door, you should be keeping your heroes at home, and fighting defensively. Demons tend to wipe out the world.

It's called Armageddon for a reason :)

Actually, the literal definition of "armageddon" is "huge war," not "the end of the world;" and hence, the original effect of just making leaders hate each other's guts made more sense. The problem is that now, the excessive barbarians get in the way of that old theme. I haven't gone to war against other leaders as often as I used to, probably because they're just as tied up as I am, and when war does occur, it's less interesting because neither side really seems to have enough units left over from fighting barbarians.

Mostly, we need to work on more ways to reduce AC for players who realize that the demons are too much for them. But they are MEANT to kick the crud out of you if the AC gets high enough and Hell spreads far enough. (Hyborem coming into the world pretty much by definition means both are satisfied)

Good point; I think there do need to be a lot more ways to reduce it. Perhaps using good diplomacy with other leaders and raising their attitudes toward you could be one way.

The problem is that Infernal Pact isn't too far up the tech tree for a player or AI who decides to beeline it.

I agree; that's one of my main annoyances. Now instead of attacking me themselves, jerky players can just speed up armageddon and bring forth demons to whittle me away. Again, the balance of war is ruptured. I also think that a main problem is how the evil side gets several civs intent on boosting the counter, but as far as I can see, the good side really doesn't have any that want to lower it; they just have people like Basium who are willing to fight when it does rise.

Actually, the literal definition of "armageddon" is "The Valley of Mount Megeddo," the location of an important battle in the the book of Revelation. This location has been used for many other battles in both modern and ancient times too. Goliath was slain by David there.

Hey, Orthus nearly killed me last night.
He showed up on my doorstep with Combat I-V, Commando, Heroic Strength 1+2, Woodsman, and Drill I-II. If he had shown up at any other city than my capital/production stronghold, I would have been eighty two kinds of screwed. As it was I had to sacrifice 20 Velite (building one every single turn) before I could kill the jerk.

And not being harassed by the random orcish hordes in general means you have an easier early game.

Sure there isn't a human player that hacked into your computer just to play him? I rarely see him survive more than 10 turns.

Actually, the literal definition of "armageddon" is "The Valley of Mount Megeddo," the location of an important battle in the the book of Revelation. This location has been used for many other battles in both modern and ancient times too. Goliath was slain by David there.

Yes, I remember that from history class, but the implications about warfare remain.

Well, if you want to get really technical, aren't you still fighting a war, regardless? Its just against raging hordes of demons instead of other civs.

horsehockey. If the founder of AV hits infernal pact immediately afterwards Hyborem can come in and bring the AC up to less than 20. an AC that low shouldn't spawn a threatening demon horde.

As I understand it, there won't be that many demons at a low AC, but they will be very powerful, especially if there's a big tech leader or, on the flip side, if no one has iron yet.

I think that may be part of the problem that you hit on, Monkeyfinger.

As you get better tech to be able to dispatch the demons, in return, the demons get better.

Might be nice if demons outside of hell terrain, got strength penalties that scale inversely with the AC. Perhaps at AC 0, all demons(belonging to agares or hyborem) not in hell terrain would have -50% strength. The penalty would vanish entirely at AC 50. Would stop them from steamrolling everything if the AC creeps up even slightly, but would still leave hellish areas a very dangerous place to be

Is it just me or the Ac is climbing much faster with the latest release ? Im playing on immortal, against 6 other AI players and only one of them is evil, but the ac has reached 95 in a snap !

And the problem is, i dont have any tools to lower it ! it's just keep on rising and turning the world into hell...it's a bit wierd, i think players should have more tools to fight against Armageddon

Had a Hyborem game where I got Malevolent Designs through the Free Tech Book - then I just watched as barb Eidolons killed all the AIs. The beginning was rather annoying though playing basically OCC as I was under constant siege by Pyre Zombies, Imps (they are soooo annoying as they pillage but don't attack the city) and Hell Hounds. After ~70 turns of that it was smooth sailing afterwards as no AI could enter my territory without being swept away by the enormous barb demon stacks roaming around.

A thought I had a while ago was to remove the ability for Demon Civ units to stop and heal (pretty sure it is already removed, but I would also disable healing if they just happen to stand still for other reasons), and to reverse the natural healing when they are in a non-evil tile. This would effectively reduce their strength by making them slowly kill die, as well as restrict their roaming distance from Hell Terrain. If they do die, a new one will spawn soon enough anyway, so no big loss to the Civ. World units would be immune to this effect of course.

Top Bottom