Dems now control California and Vermont. Is it time for state level single payer?

Yeah, damn it for not saying what conservatives want it to say instead of what it actually does say. :rolleyes:

This is pretty clear cut:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Which means no liberal toys like forcing people to buy private insurance, as well as no neocon toys like the criminalizing drugs or 'police actions' without a formal declaration of war.

Have you heard of a little thing called Prop 25? :)
That was a measure to change voting on the budget, not taxes.

----

I doubt the State Assembly/Senate will pass it and if they do, Brown will veto it. His campaign was totally run on a platform of austerity and cost-cutting.

Now, if, by some miracle, the economy turns around and CA unemployment drops below 8%.... But that's not going to happen anytime soon.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Which means no liberal toys like forcing people to buy private insurance, as well as no neocon toys like the criminalizing drugs or 'police actions' without a formal declaration of war.

That's what you want it to mean. Nothing in the words says that.

No, it doesn't per se, it just means that they have to be derived from a federal power, such as interstate commerce, taxation powers, supremacy, national security, etc. Disputes are in whether or not they are legitimate exercise of federal powers, not in whether everything else is left to the states. The 10th amendment cannot really be used as a reason for why a federal action is unconstitutional, as the federal government only has the powers which it has been granted. By default, the remaining powers are left to the people and/or the states. Again, it's a truism.

Don't underestimate how conservative Connecticut is, despite going nearly all Democratic. Connecticut doesn't change things. And many other states are too fiscally strapped to enact new programs now.

This. People here like the idea of social liberalism, but are loath to fix what hasn't been broke for several centuries.

Believe me that is not a liberal toy. In fact it is the #1 reason liberals don't like the healthcare bill.

You may remember back in 2008 it was Hillary on the pro-mandate side and Obama arguing against her.

Sadly just like on so many other policy issues, we worked our butts off to get the Obama version and we ended up with the Clinton version.

This. People here like the idea of social liberalism, but are loath to fix what hasn't been broke for several centuries.

Ah. I didn't know you were a Nutmegger as well. I thought only myself and CivGeneral were the only ones remaining in OT. :)

Top Bottom