• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

depressed... I have leadership qualities of Dan Quayle!

Is it just me, or does Dan Qualye have an unfair bad rap?

Dan Qualye > Al Gore IMO.

I dunno, but his Wikipedia article made me laugh.

Yes, we must go to Mars, where the canals are full of fresh water and the air is crisp and clean! Congratulations, all Dan Quayle-level winners out there. :king:

And seeing his future tech quote made me doubletake for a second. :p

they both have bad scores...but Dan was made fun of because of his spelling skills...the game was obviously made before the whole Al Gore mess...otherwise he'd be in there too I'm sure.

But now I'm confused...how do you nuke people?? I had ALL the technologies learned but I didn't see an option to nuke anyone....otherwise Montezuma would have gone down hecka fast!!

:dunno:

@Joshua and Runner: Now I am confused: I don't care about score, as long as I get a satisfying win, but I thought that conquest (usually?) generated a higher score than domination.

Maybe it depends, as a domination win will end the game sooner for the "earlier" calculation in the score, whereas with conquest you will have more population, more land, more everything, for the "bigger is better" calculation.

I may have just cleared up this confusion on my own. Maybe. :crazyeye:

--DeadDark

Domination will get you more population, as well as usually ending faster. With conquest you'll be capitulating or razing a lot, so as to not go over the domination threshold. You'll still get a lot of points (unless it's a one city challenge >_> ) but to avoid domination you won't be getting as high a score.

Now if you turn the domination victory off, conquest can be higher, as you can keep going well beyond the domination threshold.

Conquest through vassalising all opponents may score higher, but generally domination will score more.

But now I'm confused...how do you nuke people?? I had ALL the technologies learned but I didn't see an option to nuke anyone....otherwise Montezuma would have gone down hecka fast!!

The Manhatten Project needs to be built before nukes can be built.

Same. My first Settler game with Elizabeth was Augustus- Space Race, and not a very good one at that.

the game was obviously made before the whole Al Gore mess...otherwise he'd be in there too I'm sure.

The Occidental fiasco happened in 1997 IIRC. Al Gore lost a lay up of a presidential election in 2000. Both happened long before Civ 4 was made (as did him taking credit for inventing the internet - which is in the game).

In fact, all he has done since this game was made is make a crap movie and win a Nobel prize. However, Qualye is a Republican and Gore is a Democrat, so I'm not surprised that Gore gets preferential treatment.

...and, speaking of Nobel prizes, how worthless are they now? I'd rather get a decoder ring in my cereal than a Nobel prize at this point.

@Go Boks: QFT! :)

-----

I now understand why I was thinking that conquest scored higher than domination: It is simply because for months I have played with both vassilization and the domination victory condition checked off. Even worse, I hardly ever raze cities.

Bazillions of cities spread all over the map + conquest victory = a very high score unobtainable with domination--but only because of the way that I have things set up. :lol:

--DeadDark

The Occidental fiasco happened in 1997 IIRC. Al Gore lost a lay up of a presidential election in 2000. Both happened long before Civ 4 was made (as did him taking credit for inventing the internet - which is in the game).

In fact, all he has done since this game was made is make a crap movie and win a Nobel prize. However, Qualye is a Republican and Gore is a Democrat, so I'm not surprised that Gore gets preferential treatment.

...and, speaking of Nobel prizes, how worthless are they now? I'd rather get a decoder ring in my cereal than a Nobel prize at this point.

The money that goes with them is nice :)
Nobel prizes for science still mean something, its the political and artistic ones that are very subjective

I dunno, but his Wikipedia article made me laugh.

Yes, we must go to Mars, where the canals are full of fresh water and the air is crisp and clean! Congratulations, all Dan Quayle-level winners out there. :king:

And seeing his future tech quote made me doubletake for a second. :p

If you think the wikipedia article was funny, check out wikiquote's:lol:
here

I managed to get 49k on Chieftain in a conquest game. I have no idea how as it wasnt a quick time at all.

Top Bottom