Designing the Time Machine

This should be the whole package. The pedia icons are on a single sheet. But the pcx is indexed, so CnP by someone should maintain the indexing. I'm afraid I won't have time for more graphics work for a few days, so unless there are serious palette issues you'll have to deal with this "as-is". :(

Attachments

• TimeRace.zip
    1 MB · Views: 277
Even alternative universe pseudo-Victorian techno-nerds need a spot of java cha for those late night design sessions. :coffee: In other words, it's an intentional part of the background. ;)
Much like Sheldon Cooper, I'm more partial to cocoa than coffee. But I don't have such a ridiculous haircut. ;)
Hand me the original plans for the thing and I'll clean 'em. Or attempt to.
By the way, any interest in developing the model into a TM unit? I've got an amusing idea for the death animation: the boffin gets out & whacks it with a spanner.
The wikipedia entry for 'boffin' ends in 'See also: Mad Scientist'. I wonder why that is so.
I'll see what I can do give my time constraints (npi).
If you could also take some time to look through a certain chariot, I'd be grateful. That way we could wrap that one up and I wouldn't have to work on both that and Jabba's sail barge/Barsoomian airship at the same time.

Hand me the original plans for the thing and I'll clean 'em. Or attempt to.

I think you've missed the point, Tak. It's supposed to look a mess; it's the desktop of a 19th century inventor:

Spoiler :
"One late night, over a warm cup of java (with a dash of brandy), the inventor sketches out an idea for a time machine. His excitement is palpable, and his hand shakes as adrenaline and caffeine and alcohol and inspiration converge, and in his eagerness to get his racing ideas onto the page before he forgets them he slops his coffee and smudges his deskpad, but of course, in his creative rapture he is oblivious to such concerns. Only the singing of the morning birds reminds him that time has not stood still as he's worked, and as exhaustion overtakes him his last conscious thought is of the housekeeper tsk-tsk-ing as she discovers the mess and sees him strewn across the couch.

Over the following days and months, as he builds his machine, he lovingly pens in the names of the completed parts next to their places on the drawing. After writing in the last of those - the Piezo Electric Arrray - he turns in his chair and examines the real machine, which now occupies most of the middle of the room - a duplicate of that in the drawing, with real working circuits and gear mechanisms. He squints at it, and tries to imagine seeing his handiwork as a neophyte might, and marvels at how beautiful it is despite the fact that he'd not had that goal in mind at all, each part being actually designed for entirely utilitarian purpose. He turns back to his work pad and pens-in a final word then circles it: Launch! "

I hope you don't mind, Blue, that I reworked the Civilopedia pcxs a bit (no implied criticism of your handiwork, just an idea I had for them):

Spoiler :

Eventually, I'll need images of the individual parts so that I can do building icons (These are technically in the Buildings category, so in addition to the Civilopedia icons, they will also have icons on the buildings lists, large and small).

Can't figure out what the files are in the rar that begin with the prefix ._
They don't open in gimp or any other program I have.

Try changing their prefixes to known [civ3] game file extensions.

(Yes, I did mix up on the coffee thing. btw you missed on Sheldon owning the Time Machine... :p)

You're welcome to make whatever changes you need to the graphics.
Can't figure out what the files are in the rar that begin with the prefix ._
They don't open in gimp or any other program I have.
That's an artifact that sometimes shows up when transferring groups of files between OSX & Windows. They're short files that are used by OSX, and are invisible there, but some times get copied over in the transfer & become visible. They're not needed & you may delete them. I apologize for not double checking the upload & cleaning it up.

Top Bottom