• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Devotion Ideology

Edit: P.s. do you want me to see if I can update Durrani?
I like their UA, would be cool if you could. Rename their unit into Shahid or smth if you decide to work on it, UU basically replicate your unit so you would probably also need to be redesign it to some extent, whatever you like, i just want to see how this civ will be played with your mods, seams to be interesting combo.

@Pipiskus did a "quick" fix to modern VP
Mujahideen in Durrani -> Jezail Rifleman. Same model but I drew a pretty (promise!) flag icon for it so you can easily tell the difference.
Wrote down the numbers for the UA/UB2 and simplified the Maydan. Now gives bigger themes with your own writing, up to +8 if they are also same era (with artistry bonus that's big :O)
See here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...e-civilizations-showcase.574461/post-15318928

Take Fundamentalism, go nuts!
Let me know if something doesn't work

@Pipiskus did a "quick" fix to modern VP
Mujahideen in Durrani -> Jezail Rifleman. Same model but I drew a pretty (promise!) flag icon for it so you can easily tell the difference.
Wrote down the numbers for the UA/UB2 and simplified the Maydan. Now gives bigger themes with your own writing, up to +8 if they are also same era (with artistry bonus that's big :O)
See here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...e-civilizations-showcase.574461/post-15318928

Take Fundamentalism, go nuts!
Let me know if something doesn't work
Just to know, are your old civs mods (like Minoa or Garamantes) still working? They were peculiar and interesting, but in 3.xx I remember they were not working

Tibet and Zimbabwe are deprecated and I suggest the Jarcast versions.
Minoa, Garamantes, and... Khmer? Khmer. I play every now and again so they should all work.
I will make sure the links are to the latest versions (edit: done). Let me know if something is broken for you and I can try to fix. DM me on Discord perhaps.

Tibet and Zimbabwe are deprecated and I suggest the Jarcast versions.
Minoa, Garamantes, and... Khmer? Khmer. I play every now and again so they should all work.
I will make sure the links are to the latest versions (edit: done). Let me know if something is broken for you and I can try to fix. DM me on Discord perhaps.
Yeah, I knew about Tibet and Zimbabwe, they were cool at the time.
Khmer never used because there's pineappledan version that's similar but I like more his approach.

Surprisingly, Minoa and Garamantes are working flawlessly in 4.7.3, and I didn't expected that: in 3.x, loading them (or them with some specific mod) would cause Civ5 to crash, but now I used them for a bit and it seems they have no flaw whatsoever.

The important settler restriction in mind was the one that stops you settling near enemy borders. It would be intended that the immediate ring you settle with is claimed, so you can settle cities like mini citadels. Bit expensive but could be cool.
so you can tunnel into another civ's lands with a chain of settlers

Does this modmod change AI behavior with selecting policies? Something weird I noticed is that every AI civ who quickly got to the industrial era filled out or nearly filled out a 4th pre-ideology tree before they started taking policies in their ideology, which is something I've never seen before. Also zero AI civs went with Devotion.

so you can tunnel into another civ's lands with a chain of settlers
You still probably shouldn't be able to settle directly next to your own city.
So maybe in the extreme case you could do city->citadel->city.

Edit: Actually I think just ignoring enemy cities is probably best. Increasing density within your own borders sounds like it could lead to really weird and degenerate things.

Does this modmod change AI behavior with selecting policies?
So the way the hackery works is I set an old custom mod option called "ISKA_HERITAGE" to true. What this does is that if you have founded a religion and have it in most of your cities, then your default ideology should be Devotion (called "heritage" in the code), and then it will overwrite that choice if your preference for another ideology is like twice that of one of the old ones. So e.g. if the code valued the three original ideologies at 50, 100, 370 points, that 370 would be enough to swap you from devotion to autocracy.

As far as I know this is the only change it makes to policy selection.

However your report that you see them fill out a 4th tree is very weird, I don't believe that is default behaviour.
Perhaps it suggests the choose ideology code is failing.

Last edited:
So e.g. if the code valued the three original ideologies at 50, 100, 270 points, that 270 would be enough to swap you from devotion to autocracy.
It's not. You need at least 300 points.

As promised there are now 2 extra ideology wonders if you are playing with More Wonders
see OP for pictures (I realise [ICON_TOURISM] is supposed to be [ICON_GOLD], will fix later)

Spoiler :

Conquest -- Kashi Vishwanath Temple -- Replaceable Parts -- Requires Devotion. Must be built in a Holy City and on a River. Receive 1 Free Social Policy. +15 Food and Faith when any owned Unit pillages a tile and when you construct a Building in this City, scaling with Era. +6 Culture and Gold once Advanced Ballistics is discovered.

Diplomacy -- Makkah Clock Royal Tower -- Globalization -- Requires Devotion and an Airport in the City. Can only be built in a Holy City while at least 25% of the global population follows your Religion (scaling with map size). Receive 1 Free Social Policy. Receive 1 Additional Delegate in the World Congress for every 400 Gold per turn produced (caps at 25% of all City-States ever alive) and for every 15 Cities following your Religion. Provides a Free Hotel in the City in which it is built.

And then also a fun extra wonder anyone can build. It didn't make the cut.
Culture -- Masjid Ubudiah -- Biology -- Requires a Hospital in the City and a local source of Ivory. When you complete a building from the Modern Era or later, gain 5% of its construction cost as Points towards a Great Artist. +50 Production when you expend a Great Person, scaling with Era.

Considering that AI doesnt pick Devotion often enough, what do u think about lowering ideology penalty for devotion players. I think its lore accurate as Devotion societies dont have any competion with other ideologies irl, they just seam to not care.

I will endeavour to get them to adopt it properly but in the mean time some kind of ideology resistance might be useful.
I will think about how to do it.

Top Bottom