DG3 Discussion - Demogame Rules

I think that informational polls on controversial issues relating to this constitution (such as whether to make turn chats optional and if we should have a turn-based electoral system) should be posted, to determine what the citizens of Fanatika want for the new demogame.

Originally posted by Octavian X
I dunno - no one has yet to calm my fears of unwritten procedure.

*donsig holds up a picture of a glazed doughnut*

Gaze at the doughnut Octavian...

*the picture starts spinning round and round*

You are getting hungry, very hungry...

*Octavian's eyes begin to glaze over and his mouth drops open*

...very hungry. Gaze into the depths of the doughnut hole...

*donsig sticks a doughnut in Octavian's mouth*

Eat the doughnut Octavian. After you eat the doughnut your fears about unwritten procedure will vanish...

It's official, now, that we're bringing over only the Constitution. We should probably start discussion on a new lower set of rules.

It will be polled, of course, but not according to the full Constitutional Amendment rules. We are between games so they don't actually apply. More importantly, with the game ended there is extremely little participation and it would be fairly impossible for any measure to meet the high quorum of an amendment.

I will post the poll tomorrow.

A few things I thought would be good ideas for the rules of the new demogame:
1. There would be a Constitution, a Code of Laws, and a Code of Standards.
2. The Constitution would be amendable through a two-thirds vote of the Senate and a majority vote of the Congress.
3. The CoL would be amendable through a majority vote of both houses (rather than a two-thirds vote of the Congress).
4. The CoS would be amendable through a majority vote of the Congress (rather than a Council vote).
5. The Vice President would be the President of the Senate, and could cast a tie-breaking vote there, but would not be eligible to be a senator.
6. There would be at least three members of the Senate at all times (to prevent one governor from having veto power over proposed Articles and Laws). If fewer than three governorships are available, additional senators would be elected.
7. If both an election poll and a runoff poll end in a tie, the Council decides the winner from among the candidates that were tied.

That's some good stuff, bootstoots. A couple comments:

1 & 3: The structure of law doesn't need to be in the Constitution itself. The Constitution already reserves for itself the highest power of law so lesser sets can be self defined as they are created. Same with the requirements for changing those lesser sets.

2: The requirements for CON amendments are already in the CON. (Article F).

4: COS changes were placed with the Council so procedural changes could be made quickly and under the direction of the government body responsible for them. Making a provision for another body to also be able to modify procedures would be okay but don't remove the fast track legislation.

5: I think this is a fine idea.

6: This could also be workable. For the period when we lack 3 provinces the balance could be filled by At-Large Senate members. This could also serve as the pool for filling provincial government seats when the provinces are defined mid-term.

7. This isn't necessary. The chance of this happening is extremely small. Counting all of the elections we have ever had in both demogames there has been only one runoff that was tied and the subsequent runoff was successful. We need to avoid making rules that have inconsequential effect as they contribute to making a bloated ruleset.
These would be for the lower law books, not the Constitution.

Once again, I think we are forgetting that there will only be one member of this senate for several terms. That one person will have veto power over constitutional amendments during a time when we will likely be looking for ways to improve this document.

hmmm. maybe polled too fast:
2 more comments as i at this moment first read this document:

B-1. Political parties are not permitted
should also include groups not named party, but acting like one.
Maybe:
"Political parties and all other groups acting alike are not permitted."

C-1-A: The President shall be the designated player of the game.
so nobody else can play out? should be changed to allow "designated players" other than the president.
maybe:
"The President shall be the designated player of the game but this role can be given to any other citizen either by the president himself or automatically by defining a law for this purpose."

the 2nd is critical, as the posted article in the constitution will override any law defining procedures to define the DP. as such only the president would be allowed to play.

@dis:

Political parties are political parties. It does not matter what the members call them. If they are identified as political parties they will be dealt with. No need to add huge amounts of symantics into the CON.

The Pres is the designated player. That does not preclude in any way another person playing the game under the direction of the President. Subsequent lesser laws can define who, when, where, what becomes designated under the president's authority. Once again, no need to get so verbose in the CON.

but the cons does not allow the lesser rules to supersede the "the president is the designated player" part. we need to change that or only the pres will be allowed to play.

This won't exactly help but I think it needs to be said. This whole rules discussion is just as thoroughly muddled as the infamous PIs. I'm staying OUT of this...

Top Bottom