Dialup breaking the speed limit!

Sir_Lancelot

Emperor
I just testet the dialup connection here where I am.

At best the speed is 40/24 down/up. Usually some lower. The worst result I ever got was 20/2. I am talking kilobits, not megabits! Yep, it was 2 kb/s up...

But now today. I just tested at speedtest.net and got very very strange results:

My upload speed on dialup is over 130 kb/s!
It's not even near the truth. :crazyeye: :D

I just testet the dialup connection here where I am.

At best the speed is 40/24 down/up. Usually some lower. The worst result I ever got was 20/2. I am talking kilobits, not megabits! Yep, it was 2 kb/s up...

But now today. I just tested at speedtest.net and got very very strange results:

My upload speed on dialup is over 130 kb/s!
It's not even near the truth. :crazyeye: :D
In my experience, these tests are often inaccurate. I once tried running one of these tests on my internet connection in my dorm room. It returned results of about 1000 kb/s, while at the time the connection was never faster than 200 kb/s.

PrinceScamp said:
Dial up should be illegal.
Why?

Dial up should be illegal.
I could almost agree..
But many places dialup is the only choice. I am right now in a long and bended valley surrounded by mountains and the people here who wants internet have one choice and one choice only: Move to the civilization. A few places in the valley they have got wireless broadband, but I am at the wrong place. Maybe one day wireless broadband from satelite will be an opportunity.
I am not complaining because I don't normally live here. :p

In my experience, these tests are often inaccurate. I once tried running one of these tests on my internet connection in my dorm room. It returned results of about 1000 kb/s, while at the time the connection was never faster than 200 kb/s.
This test site give me accurate results when I test the broadband connection I got at my home. For some strange reason the upload speed is wacked. 24 kbs becomes 130.
Maybe it doesn't work well with so slow speed?

your dialup might not be showing accurate results when you use it in normal everyday use, because it does depend on the conection load and the server your're downloading from. My connection is supposted to get ~400kb/s upload yet it barely gets 150 when i actually try.

Then the ISPs are charging too much.

I agree. Most ISP's have a "Basic" or "Lite" package, speeds a couple times faster than dial up, usually 128, or 256 kilobits, and is around the same price of dial up. The major cable provider her in Canada offers i believe 1 megabit for $30 or so a month, and an ultra lite package, 128 down, for $20/month. pretty good, if you ask me

your dialup might not be showing accurate results when you use it in normal everyday use, because it does depend on the conection load and the server your're downloading from. My connection is supposted to get ~400kb/s upload yet it barely gets 150 when i actually try.
That's normal. I experienced the opposite. The absolute maximum speed for dialup is 53 kbs. 53 is pure theoretical and only possible for them who lives close to a central. (56 kbs modems only give 53 kbs due to the phone system here.)

The major cable provider her in Canada offers i believe 1 megabit for $30 or so a month, and an ultra lite package, 128 down, for $20/month. pretty good, if you ask me
I know Canadian dollars are some less valuable than USD, but I don't think that price is especially good.

With my dial-up I'm lucky if I can break 50. Thank god something is finally happening here DSL-wise. I've already ordered mine. 8Mb/s :dance:

Actually, it was accurate. The measured speed is in kilobits per second (kb/s), while your browser shows download rates as kilobytes per second (kB/s). So if your benchmark is 1000 kb/s, your actual speed should be around is about 122 kB/s.

Note that 1,000 kb/s = one thousand kilobits per second = 1,000,000 bits per second = 250,000 bytes per second = 250,000 / 1024 = 122 kilobytes per second.

1 byte = 8 bits
1 kilobit = 1000 bits
1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes

(I know, it is confusing :crazyeye: )

Actually, it was accurate. The measured speed is in kilobits per second (kb/s), while your browser shows download rates as kilobytes per second (kB/s). So if your benchmark is 1000 kb/s, your actual speed should be around is about 122 kB/s.

Note that 1,000 kb/s = one thousand kilobits per second = 1,000,000 bits per second = 250,000 bytes per second = 250,000 / 1024 = 122 kilobytes per second.

1 byte = 8 bits
1 kilobit = 1000 bits
1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes

(I know, it is confusing :crazyeye: )

Both of my figures were in kilobits/second. My normal download speeds at the time were about 30 kilobytes/second, which is about 240 kilobits/sec. The speed test reported 1000 kilobits/second, equivalent to a bit more than 100 kilobytes/second.

I use dial-up at home.
You can't beat free, plus I literally have thousands of access numbers worldwide (not that that helps since I never go anywhere). :D

I surf the net all day at work, so any big downloads, I do from work. I typically don't surf the internet when at home. I'm usually sick of surfing the internet by the time I get home.

Top Bottom