Did the AI mentality change ?

Tekinette

Chieftain
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find any clear answer to this :

With this DLC and the patchs did the AI's mentality change a bit ? Is it still playing like a player that's only there to win or is it more like old civ ? I used to enjoy playing Civ4, having sworn enemies, great allies etc.. Can I finally trust my allies not to backstab me as soon as I'm in a weak spot and actually try to help me instead ? :rolleyes:

I can't say with 100% certainty yet that it is a change for the better but I did notice some changes that made diplomacy seem better so far. I am only 200 turns into my first standard game so lots to go still.

I DOF'd 2 other civs and have been able to maintain the peace between everyone but Attila the 3rd AI civ on my continent. I have borders touching with the iroquois and did some city state competition with Ghandi with no re-percussions. I had 4 pictish (spearmen for hte celts) warriors and nothing else for defense and the iroquois with their swordsmen and catapults let me alone. Ghandi was further away and wouldn't have expected a war from him but I would have negative relations for the CS competition in vanilla.

Overall I feel so far the AI is not as aggressive and is more willing to work with the player then before. We'll see how it goes as I play more games but so far I am pleased. Not sure if religion had a big part of it or not but I founded and spread my religion across the whole continent before anyone else had a chance.

As a disclaimer I was not a huge critic of the old AI, just had to figure out the mechanics that made them mad at you and avoid them. DOF was as good as a DOW in vanilla IMO with the way all the enemies they had would turn on you then after you had someone else DOW you the DOF civ would call you a warmonger.

It seems like the warmongers are more warmongery and the peacemakers are more friendly, but I haven't played nearly enough to say anything conclusively.

It seems like the warmongers are more warmongery and the peacemakers are more friendly, but I haven't played nearly enough to say anything conclusively.
Thats a change i can live with. As long as not all the civs are crazy backstabbing suicidal warmongers, im happy.
It would be fun to see an AI that actually wants to survive for a change. If its only half of them so be it. Still an improvement over vanilla stupidity.

hm. Well you still do have your warmongers that you have to look out for of course. I was in a game and was good friends with Carthage then Dido backstabbed me so it still happens but i never had a problem with that. A player would do that but a real leader would as well. More decisions you make actually effect relationships with other leaders. Like Carthage bullied a city state i was protecting and she came to me and said "blah blah i bullied your city state" and you have the 2 options but now those two options will either effect relations with the leader or the city state. You'll just have to play it to see it. They actually make good sized armies and line up properly. They retreat when there gonna lose and they bring siege weapons. I have been friends with Sweden, Polynesia, and Siam the entire game. Siam has the "they covet lands you currently own" and they're guarded. We still signed a DOF so yeah id say they're by far more rational than before.

Ok thanks for the replies ! I'll probably get the dlc and give it a try... I guess the religion will help define different group of allies and remove that survival of the fittest free for all kind of games.

Top Bottom