Did you know that Dubya is a voracious reader?

I doubt he could've read that many books this year so far. If he has, good on him.

As for the book reading contest, we used to have those in primary school. :lol:
But I can see the point of them, if I or my friends had more freetime I'd have a contest.

Erik Mesoy said:
The "whoever" would be me, and I do mean words per minute, although the test might not have worked properly. I've literally broken reading tests in primary school. We were once supposed to read and remember as much as we could of a text in five minutes, then put away the text pamphlet and start answering questions on a second sheet of paper.
I finished reading the text and crossed off all the answers before the five minutes had passed, then began reading the text again, and the teacher sort of excused me from having to hand in my results because his chart didn't cover this sort of event. (All the answers correct, incidentally.)

You mentioned that people looked at 10 words a second. I seem to have acquired the ability to parse whole sentences as units, so I don't look at individual words, much the way good readers don't have to think of each letter, but instead recognize words as near-ideograms.

In addition to a possibly malfunctioning test, 2000 WPM is probably under good conditions; I'll go much slower if the font is funny, or the writing is poor, and I will seriously stutter if I encounter a single typo in an otherwise good book.

I likewise find your claim hard to believe. MacBeth is 18,301 words. So you can read that in 10 minutes? I don't believe you. Sorry. However, your ability to read that fast isn't very important to me, since you can't prove it to any of us unless we know you in person. It took me a few days to read MacBeth, partly because I hate it, and partly because I'm a slow reader.

Are there any decent web-based (and free) WPM reading tests around?

I'd like to add that the history of salt is an interesting read. Don't mock it. Salt has been a hugely important commodity for much of our history, and still is in parts of Africa.
They even used it as currency! So much for the gold standard; lets have the salt standard.

The Last Conformist said:
Assuming he read them in modernized English, Macbeth and Hamlet aren't demanding reads.

Modernised english?

WTF? I have never heard of this. Does this really happen? Given a little efort a preteen can follow Shakespear.

Why would you read it in modernised english? What would be the point? Read it in french, spanish or urdu fair enough, but if you speak the language of the greatest dramatist of all time WTF are you doing reading some nonsence?

he could of just read "my pet goat" 60 times?

Erik: as far as I'm aware, speed reading contestants typically have speeds of under 2000 WPM, with less than 100% comprehension. IIRC, more typical speeds are 1000-1300 WPM. If you really can read at 2000 WPM, that would make you one of - if not the - fastest readers in the world. Maybe you should test your speed a bit more, to see if it really is 2000 WPM. Who knows, maybe you can set a Guinness record :).

GinandTonic said:
Modernised english?

WTF? I have never heard of this. Does this really happen? Given a little efort a preteen can follow Shakespear.

Why would you read it in modernised english? What would be the point? Read it in french, spanish or urdu fair enough, but if you speak the language of the greatest dramatist of all time WTF are you doing reading some nonsence?
You'd read it in modernized English because the original spelling quite archaic and extremely irregular.

The Last Conformist said:
You'd read it in modernized English because the original spelling quite archaic and extremely irregular.

Yes, William Shakespeare himself had several different ways that he signed off his work. Those being Shakspere, Shaksper, Shaxper and Shake-speare.

Top Bottom