Different capital hypothesis

Aachen for Barbarossa? That's quite interesting. I thought Aachen was only capital for Charlemagne, and then abandoned/forgotten in time.
It was never forgotten in time or abandoned. It was still used for the coronation of the imp. aug. for a long time and was visited by most of them regularly. Most medieval imp. aug. didn't not have something that could be called preferred city or capitol, and Barbarossa was one of them. So Aachen is a bit of a stretch (but better than 'Barbarossa's court', right?), but it is still the most plausible for him. It's true that Charlemagne spend a lot of his time in his later life in the Kaiserpfalz in Aachen that he built. But he also built Kaiserpfalzen in Ingelheim and newly conquered Paderborn that were of quite some importance. If you look at Aachen even today, the Kaiserpfalz is still visible in the city layout. It is, for a variety of reasons, nearly completely built over though. Charlemagne's throne (and the incredible building surrounding it) are still there.

There's one thing that sticks in my craw with this whole theory. I know it may be a bit obvious given my avatar, and I don't want to come off too much as a fanboy, but I don't know how it works with Napoleon. Big personality, prominence in history, iconic status in the Civ series... he checks all the boxes for inclusion, but I don't know if you could include him with any capital but Paris. Is there any alternative?

Napoleon would have to be Paris, but when adding Napoleon they could move Catherine elsewhere. I think her court might not have been in Paris?

One easy solution for some Civs is to modify the capital of the existing leader when a new leader for a Civ is released.
Exactly.

I don't think Tokugawa Ieyasu would be a good choice for leader of Japan simply because of the name of the Civ's UA: Meiji Restoration. Otherwise... he'd be a good choice for an expansion dealing with revolution and such, seeing as he and his grandson (IIRC) created a very effective means of preventing said revolution.

The name of the UA is actually a reason to disallow Meiji as a leader. What on earth would you call his ability?!

And the Meiji Restoration ability doesn't result in gameplay that is directly opposed to gameplay Tokugawa would create, so what's the problem? If the concern is flavor, then it just represents the two periods of Japan.

Incidentally, it would be interesting to see Kublai Khan as a leader of China ruling from Karakorum...

You mean from Beijing, known as Dadu to the Mongols? I think, since there are so few candidates for Mongol leaders, they'd be more likely to have him lead Mongolia from Dadu, with Genghis from Karakorum. Was Karakorum even built yet during Genghis' time? I don't remember.

Yeah maybe we'll finally get Italy! I was against Italy in Civ 5 because from the general rule of Capitals they had back them, it would be unthinkable for Italy not to have Rome as its capital. With Civ 6's new capital rules, we can finally have an acceptable Italy, with Dandolo ruling from Venice, some Medici ruling from Florence or Matilda of Canossa ruling from Canossa, and as long as there's more than one of those, it would make perfect sense!
I don't know if I want Italy (and certainly don't want that many leaders), but associating the capital with the leader avoids some awkwardness. Lorenzo could be the leader and Florence the capital this way (Florence always could be the capital because it was the capital when the Pope controlled Rome, but it would feel incomplete).

I like this theory. They could possibly use Nezahualcoyotl with Texcoco as his capital for a second Aztec leader.
I doubt they'll give the Aztecs a second leader but I'd really like to see one.

Last edited:
There's one thing that sticks in my craw with this whole theory. I know it may be a bit obvious given my avatar, and I don't want to come off too much as a fanboy, but I don't know how it works with Napoleon. Big personality, prominence in history, iconic status in the Civ series... he checks all the boxes for inclusion, but I don't know if you could include him with any capital but Paris. Is there any alternative?

Sorry, but I think we'll be without him this generation :(. I mean if they wanted to do him, they'd have Louis XIV with Versailles as his capital. Unless, like someone said, you could change Catherine's capital to some other city in a way that made sense, I don't know much about her to have an opinion in this matter.

Incidentally, it would be interesting to see Kublai Khan as a leader of China ruling from Karakorum...

You mean from Beijing, known as Dadu to the Mongols? I think, since there are so few candidates for Mongol leaders, they'd be more likely to have him lead Mongolia from Dadu, with Genghis from Karakorum. Was Karakorum even built yet during Genghis' time? I don't remember.

Yeah I'm with Atlas627 on this one. However Karakorum was built only by Ogedai, actually, and I hope now is his time to shine!

I don't know if I want Italy (and certainly don't want that many leaders), but associating the capital with the leader avoids some awkwardness. Lorenzo could be the leader and Florence the capital this way (Florence always could be the capital because it was the capital when the Pope controlled Rome, but it would feel incomplete).

Yeah but just Lorenzo would be awkward still, imo. They need one more leader to show that each doesn't represent the whole civ.

I would hope there would be a way to segregate the names of Greek cities if you're playing a game with both Pericles and Gorgo, such that only the names of Delian League cities are available to Pericles, and Peloponnesian League cities to Gorgo.

I would hope there would be a way to segregate the names of Greek cities if you're playing a game with both Pericles and Gorgo, such that only the names of Delian League cities are available to Pericles, and Peloponnesian League cities to Gorgo.

Well I guess they could add that as an option. They shouldn't do it by default because, again, that gives a very big hint that the other is in the game.

Sorry, but I think we'll be without him this generation :(. I mean if they wanted to do him, they'd have Louis XIV with Versailles as his capital. Unless, like someone said, you could change Catherine's capital to some other city in a way that made sense, I don't know much about her to have an opinion in this matter

Well, there is several castles near Tours where she had some great influence and she spend a lot of Time (Chenonceau, Chaumont, Blois,...) so Tours would be a great choice for her

Just to add to this discussion, it appears from the game files that civs have city lists independent of the leaders. For example, the top listed city for Germany is Berlin, Frederick's capital of Aachen is listed 4th, while Mecca is listed as first for Arabia, with Cairo second.

The error handling for multiples of the same City State spawning is pretty funny too. Too many Amsterdam's? Don't worry, here's 'Amsterdam 1', 'Amsterdam 2' and 'Amsterdam 3'!

If the Barbarians spawn with a city somehow, it appears they get something called 'Grokville 1'.

Whilst already known as well, it is confirmed that leaders are each given a specific capital.

Sorry, but I think we'll be without him this generation :(. I mean if they wanted to do him, they'd have Louis XIV with Versailles as his capital. Unless, like someone said, you could change Catherine's capital to some other city in a way that made sense, I don't know much about her to have an opinion in this matter.

There could always be more than two leaders...

Every CS has a city list. They're identical for every CS except for Brussels.

They are all just [city state name]_# (# from 1 to 5). Brussels is no different.

I mean the names themselves, not the XML tags.

Can you post the code where you're seeing the different names?

Why can't more than one leader use the same capital as long as they're not in the same game? In cases where there is a second leader in the same game, they could just use random city as their capital. I doubt they'd limit their leader choices based on who ruled from different cities.

Top Bottom