'Diplomatic' Victory

allhailIndia

Deity
Is it just me or the last four times I have won a diplo victory on Noble, all have been because I was too lazy to win domination?

Diplomatic victory in Civ III was a LOT tougher as there was always the chance that some small, insignificant, yet loved AI civ would win all the votes, unless your tanks got to the voters' palace first.

Here, if you are the largest civ, in terms of population, Diplo victory is yours for the taking even if EVERYBODY else in the world hates you.

Does anybody else out there think this is a little pointless and needs to be changed?

I won a diplo victory as follows: I eliminated my 2 nearest neighbors, then I had very good relations with the next 2 and beyond them, 1 eliminated the other and then itself got eliminated. So it was down to 3, the 2 AI were building spaceship parts and I was about 6 techs behind. However, I had friendly with #3 and pleased relations with #2. I was #1 in land and people. So, I built the UN and had the vote and won when #3 voted for me.

But, you are right. Many times diplo can be achieved without the aid of any other civ. I think the diplo win could be improved by making it so you need a majority of the votes of the non-contenders, too.

Well, i do agree that some flaws need to be changed but it still is somewhat chalenging. I mean its hard to win diplo in harder modes, so if you want a bigger chalenge, just bumb up a level or two. On prince its harder to take people out and you wont own as much pop.

Diplomatic victory in civ4 is a joke! Where is the diplomatic part of having the highest population in the world and winning by just voting for yourself? As the first poster said: if you're lazy to go for a domination victory all the way, just vote yourself ruler of the world!

When nuking the world will give you a diplomatic victory... there's something really wrong with the system.

GeorgeOP said:
If one contry in the real world were to somehow control over half the world's population, they'd be in a good position to control the rest of the world.

...But they're not gonna do it through some kind of voting system in the "real world."

Really, though, the whole UN system in the game needs replacing. It's completely inaccurate to the real thing (and would be completely pointless if it was), and functions in a way that does more harm than good for the gameplay.

Don't bother trying to fix it--there's simply no point in having such a thing in a game where the simulated world community can easily be in no position to form such an institution at any point in history, let alone a "win at any costs" modern era.

Diplo victory in CIV3 was way too easy. AI was too easy to manipulate that you could get everyone to vote for you by signing MPPs/MAs and gifting.

Diplo in CIV4 is too difficult, on the other hand. You have to get enough votes by yourself.

michaelwest777 said:
Has nayone tried a diplomatic victory over a larger map with a high number of civs?
Yes, and I've gotten it. I conquered France and the Aztecs, but only because they kept attacking me, not for the diplomatic victory specifically. Then I realized I was close to a diplomatic victory because the other high-population civs all loved me because I had been nice to them and joined wars with them previously -- if Caesar hadn't been my opponent I think he would have voted for me. I was lucky in the civs I drew too.

However, I agree that diplomatic victory needs some tweaking. It's virtually impossible to win unless you have by far the highest population, or the second highest and your opponent is really, really hated. There needs to be a way to win without that, and I'm not sure there is -- you'd have to cripple yourself bribing the AI to the point where you wouldn't be able to build the UN first, it seems. I also kind of think civs shouldn't be able to abstain from voting.

not here, Prince/Large /Continents tried twice and failed twice.
i have kept the results undecided- never lost to a diplo victory...
All in all i would rather get nukes and attack so i tend to go for the manhattan (space race i usually have disabled- this is the one that is a bit to easy to win with if'n u ask me)
Perhaps diplo win was affected -in an unseen consequence (balance?)with the addition of Religion-
should be a small civ with lots of converted cities in other civs
would have a good shot at getting alot of votes- but that is not what i see- i see the most powerful 2 civs point wise get votes- and if ur one of the two there is always a not enough votes for either
and i can never get a defensive pact either unless someone offers it to me- i wanna sign me own ##$% defensive pact
:scan:

I think diplomatic victory is by far the easiest way to win.

In my current game I hope to go for a diplomatic victory (and not the semi-domination kind). Im the largest civ, and the second two largest are absolutly in love with me (like +20 with one and +18 with the other). I know one will be my opponent, but if I can get the other to vote for me, Im fairly sure I will win.

Top Bottom