Direct2Drive "announces" "Double Civilization and Scenario Pack"

Civilization 5: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

lol yeh thats funny.

Look there is a simple reason for lots of versions promising different benenfits, its so that when player a who has babylon plays against player b who has spain as thier bonus civs, then they'll be all like wow omg, mum, mum!!!!!! buy me that civ too.

I don't have a problem with Official DLC, as long as there is still unofficial free dlc too. I'd start getting angry if they charged me for a patch, yeah that would be evil. :evil:.

Hmm... Compare this:

Double Civilization and Scenario Pack

And this:

Pre-Purchase now to receive the Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia.
Plus also get the bonus Babylon Civilization with leader "Nebuchadnezzar II"

The first is D2D and the second is Steam and my guess is what they provide exactly the same content.

on the D2D deluxe edition, it has both the double civ and scenario pack, and babylon and mesopbisb.

There is also no indication that the civ is not Babylon, since there is no clear explanation of what they mean by "Double Civilization and Scenario Pack".
It could be even the same, just making some buzz here.
No one says that it's not Babylon at D2D.
Actually it is quite clear that they are different, because D2D is also selling the Deluxe Edition. This confirms several things:
  1. The Deluxe Edition (with Babylon) is no longer a Steam Exclusive.
  2. There will be DLC later on (first pack expected "late 2010")
  3. At D2D they are giving away the first DLC Pack, which thus will not be Babyblon. Admittedly, technically they don't say it is not Babylon, but if they're so prominently offering the Deluxe edition + the first DLC, it would be very silly if it was the same, plus a kick in the teeth of all Deluxe buyers.
D2D has two offers now. Regular consisting of:
  • Civilization V (download)
  • Civilization III Complete (download)
  • Free First Pack consisting of a Civilization and a Scenario (available late 2010)
  • Pricing: USD 49.95 or EUR 49.95 or GBP 29.95
Deluxe consisting of:
  • Civilization V Deluxe (download)
  • Bonus Babylon Civilization with leader "Nebuchadnezzar II"
  • Behind the Scenes at Firaxis with Civilization V video feature
  • Game Soundtrack
  • Free First Pack consisting of a Civilization and a Scenario (available late 2010)
  • Pricing: USD 59.95 or EUR 59.95 or GBP 39.95

• Civilization V Deluxe (download)
  • Bonus Babylon Civilization with leader "Nebuchadnezzar II"
  • Behind the Scenes at Firaxis with Civilization V video feature
  • Game Soundtrack
  • Pricing: USD 59.95 or EUR 59.95 or GBP 39.95

What's really weird about this is that the prices are quite different. $60 and £40 are roughly equal, but €60 is around $17 / £12 more than the other two. And they are all available in the same territories.

Conclusion: buy it from .com or .co.uk - not from .eu ;)

On a side note, I'm really pleased with this. D2D is my preferred online game store, and they usually deliver fast downloads and competitive prices, along with allowing you to download your games forever. Deluxe Edition, here I come :goodjob:

:hmm: I'm still unsure about Civ5 due to the Steam requirement anyway. However looking at what seems to be a multitude of different ordering options I reckon the best option is to hang fire until early September at the earliest to flush out the remaining options/price cuts etc.

What's really weird about this is that the prices are quite different. $60 and £40 are roughly equal, but €60 is around $17 / £12 more than the other two. And they are all available in the same territories.

Conclusion: buy it from .com or .co.uk - not from .eu ;)

On a side note, I'm really pleased with this. D2D is my preferred online game store, and they usually deliver fast downloads and competitive prices, along with allowing you to download your games forever. Deluxe Edition, here I come :goodjob:

I am too interested in how this company allows you to downlaod steam games, is it easy to activate on my steam account?

I am too interested in how this company allows you to downlaod steam games, is it easy to activate on my steam account?

If what I think is going to happen (which is that they just have a key for you), this is what you do:

1. Download and install Steam
2. Click on Games in the toolbar and select "Activate a product on Steam..."
3. Enter the key provided
4. Download and play the game
5. Eat Cake

It's very easy. This is how I purchased Modern Warfare 2 for cheap. The game has been perpetually priced at 59.99 on Steam so I bought a North American retail Steam key from eBay for 30 bucks, no difference.

so you don't even download it from them.... Might as well buy it from steam.

Yes, but right now they have the best deal on the game. With their offering of Civ 5 deluxe, you get:

Civ 5
Babylon (plus other deluxe content)
A yet unnamed future "premium" DLC pack (probably a new civ + scenario)
Civ 3 Complete

The only thing missing is Mesopotamia, and I'm emailing support regarding that as I type this.

Yes but if there gonna be emailing you a activation key and forget about you, no refunds, no customer support, didn't receive your key to bad. Doesn't sound like somewhere i want to shop.

Yes but if there gonna be emailing you a activation key and forget about you, no refunds, no customer support, didn't receive your key to bad. Doesn't sound like somewhere i want to shop.

Where are you getting this stuff from? I mean it's easy to assume a store is somewhere you don't want to shop when you just make stuff up.

D2D has been a reputable digital distribution service for years now.

ZimbuTheMonkey said:
Where are getting this stuff from? I mean it's easy to assume a store is somewhere you don't want to shop when you just make stuff up.

D2D has been a reputable digital distribution service for years now.

Yeah, I'm baffled too by the strange accusation against D2D.

As for:
so you don't even download it from them.... Might as well buy it from steam.

Sure, if you don't care about price i.e. happy to pay $30 more as in ZimbuTheMonkey's example.

The only problem with all the hordes of different versions flooding the market is that no one is going to have all the same versions. "Hey, check out Babylon"; "I can't I bought this version; but did you see that cool map"; "No; I got this other version!"

It's almost becoming dumb. Just release 1 version of the game.

-------

About D2D, there's nothing different about it... when you install the game you sign up to Steam then; which is the same as if you get it from Steam, the brick and mortar store, eBay, the guy next door, etc...

If you buy the game from a store, you won't be able to get a refund; in fact you can't get a refund anywhere for most software purchases unless the software is unopened... and digital downloads is highly unlikely to give refunds AFAIK.

The only problem with all the hordes of different versions flooding the market is that no one is going to have all the same versions. "Hey, check out Babylon"; "I can't I bought this version; but did you see that cool map"; "No; I got this other version!"

It's almost becoming dumb. Just release 1 version of the game.

Totally agreed. If publishers want a "cash-in" option, this is the way I find least irritating and confusing as a customer:

ONE Standard feature-complete edition
ONE Special/Deluxe/Limited edition that includes NON-GAMEPLAY extras such as an art-book, sculptures or figures, soundtrack, etc.

i wonder if the Double civ & map means we'll be getting Babylon & another civ, and the mesopotamia map pack and the asia map pack? anyways, getting 2 maps and 2 civs for the price of the basic game: i think i know where i'm buying. although the behind the scenes and game soundtrack are kinda wantable, but for $10?

i wonder if the Double civ & map means we'll be getting Babylon & another civ, and the mesopotamia map pack and the asia map pack? anyways, getting 2 maps and 2 civs for the price of the basic game: i think i know where i'm buying. although the behind the scenes and game soundtrack are kinda wantable, but for $10?

I don't think so because D2D also has the Deluxe Edition for sale which comes with Babylon. So I think the premium DLC is something completely different, I think we should see what Civs existed in previous Civilization games and see if they are missing in the release of Civ 5. Doing that might give us a good prediction.

Top Bottom