Directional Defending?

Don't you need the SP Discipline (+15% Combat Strength bonus from an adjacent friendly unit) for that effect? I've seen the +15% "flanking bonus" on several occasions and would wish it was a standard mechanic, available to all civs right from the start...

No

Discipline (SP) gives +15% to your unit if you have another friendly unit adjacent to YOUR unit

Flanking (from beginning) gives a +X% to your unit for Every other friendly unit adjacent to the ENEMY unit

More or less represented with flanking.

See thats the thing, when I first saw flanking mentioned, and even saw a unit attack an enemy tank from behind it seemed that was how flanking was done, the tank (no adjacent friendly units) hit an enemy unit from behind (who also had no adjacent friendly units) yet that other tank being attacked suffered a flanking penatly (or the attacking tank gained a flanking bonus).

However as it currently works flanking bonuses/penaties are given by having adjacent friendly units, I guess this was a more recent update (yet still a couple months ago :p) to replace the "I'm behind you, Kapow!" mechanic, perhaps for balance reasons or to improve gameplay somewhat.

But Yeah I believe it used to be in the game, that attacking from an actual flank, was considered flanking and lead to a strength advantage, however this was removed for the current flanking mechanic whereby having adjacent friendly units making you somewhat protected from being flanked, grants you this thoeretical flanking bonus with niether unit ever needing to flank in the game. Perhaps it was put in because directional combat wasn't working well. (I could very well imagine the AI never faced your units :p). So now instead of trying to manouver through the map to flank, one simply needs to think about it, protecting ones flanks gives the bonus instead, consider it an anti-flanking bonus/penalty if you will.

Top Bottom