Discussion Thread related to Multipolarity IOT

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
Post your thoughts and comments here. I was asked if such a thread would be allowed and I said yes. I then decided that it would be best if I stated it.

Everyone, calm down. Stop this "up with the revolution nonsense" it is going to get us nowhere. It will set us back years in the eyes of the mods. I wouldn't be surprised if you collapse the forum back into Forum Games after this one honestly.

Calm down. Please. I'm begging. Let's have a calm discussion rather than a violent one.

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."

Calm down. Please. I'm begging. Let's have a calm discussion rather than a violent one.

How does one have a violent conversation? :confused:

But yes, you should probably unlock the thread now.

Mosher said:
"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."

Are you advocating that I take a "no compromise, death or victory" position on this?

Are you advocating that I take a "no compromise, death or victory" position on this?

Honestly, I don't know what a good solution to this is anymore.

Brotherhood of Mod vs. Global Defense of IOTs.
Who will win?

What will your first post be?

I wouldn't post. I would finish up on my nation post and await game start.

Who will win?

I think the Moderators would be the Forum Defense Initiative and we the Brotherhood of Imperia. Though, yours rolls off the tongue better if everyone would accept the way it is pronounced, Eye-Ought.

Personally, I didn't have too much of a problem with PF's nation but NC's was just....silly.

Who will win?
It is already over. I declare your "nation" stupid and will embargo all efforts you make to keep it alive. ;)

I apologize for this long post. I'm going to make another, shorter one with specific examples. I just needed to get all this text out before I could get my thoughts down in an orderly manner. Don't read this unless you want to, it's mostly a backstory of my experience with forum games and stuff.

Spoiler :
Hello.

I am Patriotic_Fool. I joined these forums Apr 11, 2012, so about 7 months ago. My first ever IOT was taniciusfox's Multipolarity 2, while my first forum game was Government and Politics 2. I would like to state that many of you do not know me well at all. My real-life personality is extremely different to my in-game personality, but we'll get to that soon.

Please allow me to share my experiences and opinions on the current problems that we are all having. I'll begin by highlighting why I joined these forums..

Spoiler :
I was browsing CFC as usual (I did not have an account). I was checking out each individual forum section, and I came upon "Civilization 5, Stories and Let's Plays". I was going to leave it alone, but I saw a thread with signups for Government and Politics 2. You could vote on a nation. I think I picked Russia, then I moved on. A week or so later and I was browsing the forum again, and the game had begun. "Well, might as well give it a try", I thought. I've always been interested in complex games. I love civilization 5 and strategy games, but this Government and Politics game was something else. I could do anything! Normally in games, your actions are so limited. But in GaP: 2, I could talk to any AI I wanted, I could create any faction or building I wanted! Things were fleshed out, they were so life like and real. I could visit the dirty slums of the poor district, or the beautiful homes of the upper district. I even killed a bear with my bare hands!

This type of game had me hooked, instantly. I talked to characters in game, whether run by civleader, or another player, and they responded. It felt so real, it was just radical. I loved it.

Fast forward awhile, and I began browsing other gaming forums. I don't remember how I found out about Multipolarity 2, but as soon as I joined I knew I was going to have a blast. I signed up and quickly set my eyes on reforming the USSR under the wise leadership of Joseph Stalin. I knew there was going to be conflict from day 1 (something i'll get to soon), so I began amassing an army. In one turn, I invaded Partitionania and secured a vast amount of land and population. I have a hunger for land in all IOT games, and the bigger my color is on the map the more giddy I get. I spent countless hours trading with other players, making deals, alliances, espionage, and secret roleplay posts (so people wouldn't know what free tech I got). Overall, great game.

----

There was one problem I got since I joined these forums, however. People have difficulty separating the "in-game" persona with the "OCC" persona. I remember when I found out what "OCC" was, and why everyone was posting it before their messages. I thought it was a nifty way of keeping your thoughts and opinions on the game separated from the game. Sadly, things did not turn out that way.

In government and politics, I was one of the newer players. When I joined, the first advice I got was to "not cross jehoshua". Apparently he had a huge empire in the first GaP and I should keep my distance. What I did not grasp, which I do now, was that there were OCC ties before the game even started. Friendly banter between players, even extra-friendly banter between some (filli noctus and jehoshua, two allies in the first GaP, set up a fast alliance in the second). Here I was, unknown, and that ultimately destroyed me.

I made some silly, foolish in-character comments (I wanted to marry an AI named Dannissa, but I didn't notice that she 'encouraged' someone to kill her brother). Instead of getting a friendly reminder, a "Don't say things like that, PF!", I was ousted. Jehoshua attempted to get me booted out of my current GaP 2 job, and around 4 other players denounced me and said I should receive punishment. What did I know? I was a noob at the game. A noob! Where was the friendly sense of community to help out new players?

Jehoshua took power, and after I managed to get released from jail (after being jailed for my statement above), he kicked me out of my job. I desperately requested I get a job in a similar field (combat), but jehoshua refused every advance. I was infuriated.

I was having so much fun in the game. And because I had one silly statement, now my fun was gone. I was angry. What did I do? I determined that I would enact revenge on jehoshua's character. Did I hate his OCC character? A bit. Did I hate him IC? Absolutely yes. I read the rules 4 times, and I began reading the backstory to Government and Politics 1. I assassinated his children and attempted to kill him, forcing him to reroll from the game, and making him feel how it is to have your game ruined by someone else. Had he rerolled (if you lose all your heirs/main char, you must get a new one), he would have been quickly back into power because of his friends, but it would have taught him a lesson.

Long story short, I burned down half the city and killed thousands before jehoshua and filli noctus finally got me.

I have alot of text, and it's tough to say everything I want to say..

If you read the above, then here's some more.

I joined MP2 a noob. I had no idea how the mechanics worked. In GaP 2, the GM had all his equations secret. I just knew I got a paycheck, and hoped my actions were successful. In MP2, it was based on equations and hard stats, that were public.

Like in GaP 2, when I joined I got a warning. "Do not cross Partitionania." 5 or 6 nations allied with Partitionania before the game even started, and only one allied with me. I didn't know what Partitionania did, I certainly did not start close to them on purpose.

I read through the rules multiple times, as I always do. I saw that population is multiplied against my industry. I also noted that people feared Partitionania as a nuclear power, and their nuclear program was at an extreme. I invaded for 3 reasons. 1) to secure land, 2) to prevent a future threat, and 3) to gain wealth. Not bad reasons, not perfect reasons, but I was playing Stalin of the USSR. It seemed fitting to annex my neighbors.

What happened next surprised the hell out of me. Firstly, I had built up my military over 3 turns. Jehoshua of Katterland pointed out after I invaded that anyone with eyes could have seen my aggressive expansionism and army buildup was a precursor to war. I was going to invade anyway, but miraculously, Poland (partitionania, saying Poland coz faster) dropped OUT of the alliance.

Woohoo!

I invaded knowing that they didn't have allies.

Oh wait, wrong. There's this thing called OCC. Out of nowhere, 5 or 6 nations declared war on me and pledged to support Poland. I desperately asked for peace, saying I would secede all territories, but they demanded I pay ridiculous war reparations of 300+ income. Note that Sonereal is the one who was the main negotiator of these peace deals.

I can't pay it, so I refuse. TL, DR, I end up taking almost all their provinces and I end the game with 14 clients, the highest GDP/income, best/largest trained army, a large navy, the only legit working alliance, and WMDs.

P_F, I sometimes feel that you and NC confuse animosity towards you with in-game actions. I admit, we did rub off the wrong way in MP2. Still, I didn't carry that over into SonRISK. I actually had a longer Private Chat session with you regarding strategy than any other player so far. Admittedly, the start was pretty bad (look at Central America!)

So, I suppose it comes down to first impressions. I honestly don't hold anything against you. The problem I guess is that in-game, but loosely defined alliances (GUN-MA, for all intents and purposes, DID exist) clashed with a wrong understanding of the game, resulting in stupid in both sides.

However, all of this is mainly about how GMs are increasingly being marginalized in their own games by the administration.

I think this whole affair is lame. Perhaps it really is time to merge IOT with NES.

I haven't read the MP3 stuff, but the deciding factor in who has a legit nation or not should be the GM. If he has trouble enforcing his will then he should solicit the help of the mods. It is that simple. It is the GM's game to run however he/she wants it run. The rest of the bickering is petty and immature.

I have to say that I really don't notice that all that much. Mind explaining?

Top Bottom