Diversity

fdrpi

Prince
I hope to expand and supplement the core gameplay of Civ IV with this mod as well as add some greater historical accuracy.

Get it here.

I will be working on this mod in baby steps, breaking it up into smaller pieces. Here is my plan and features list.

Version I: Tweaks:
Spoiler :

- Meditation and polytheism's research costs are switched. I did this so that Hinduism will appear before Buddhism, because the latter came from the former, so I wanted that reflected.
- Castles require feudalism and obsolete with gunpowder. This is to be more historically accurate and to allow the player to actually use castles.
- Airships can’t attack. This was also done for accuracy reasons.
- A new unit called the Pot-de-fer has been added. It is a siege unit in between catapults and trebuchets and cannons. I always felt that a unit was missing here, and so I filled that gap. Regular cannons now also require rifling.
- No more favorite civics. I always felt this was unfair to the AI, as it limits their options arbitrarily in a game, and seems a bit too easy to exploit.
- The Kremlin is now called The Kremlin and St. Basil’s Cathedral. As you probably know, the building show is not the Kremlin but the Cathedral, but the Kremlin is the politically important building.
- Lincoln’s theme is now “Battle Hymn of the Republic”. A much better and more fitting song.
- Jails give -15% city maintenance. I felt jails should do something to help order and not just be used to jail dissidents.
- The National Park is now called Yellowstone National Park. This matches its Civilopedia article.
- Native American city names from tribes. I think this is a better option than what is currently done.

Version II: Unique Units and Buildings: coming soon
Version III: Unique Wonders: coming soon
Version IV: Famous Corporations: coming soon
Version V: Unique Traits: coming soon
Version VI*: Advanced Miscellaneous: coming soon
Version VII: Achivements: coming soon
Version VIII: Onwards and Upwards: coming soon
*VI may be split up into multiple versions.

I hope you all enjoy my work. Happy Civving! :)

Since you want it to be accurate, what has cannons gotta do with rifling :D

Cannons became rifled after rifling was invented. Cannons evolved quite a bit over the centuries, from pots-de-fer to artillery.

- Meditation and polytheism's research costs are switched. I did this so that Hinduism will appear before Buddhism, because the latter came from the former, so I wanted that reflected.

Well, to be precise, Buddhism and Hinduism are both descended from Vedic Brahmanism. The analogy I like to use is that Buddhism is to the USA as Hinduism is to the UK. They're both descended from the Kingdom of Great Britain, though the UK is obviously a more direct continuation thereof.

I originally made this point when I was having an debate with a rather fundamentalist Christian, who was arguing that Buddhism was nothing but "reformed Hinduism". Rather insulting to both religions, besides being a gross oversimplification.

But I'm mostly just being pedantic. I think your change actually makes more historical sense regardless of the details. It seems to me that Polytheism would more naturally flow out of shamanistic beliefs than would Meditation.

The early cannons do not need rifling.
Rifling only applied to cannons pretty late, around 19th century.

Exactly, and that is reflected in my mod. The pot-de-fer only requires gunpowder and metal casting, and the cannon requires rifling and steel.

Exactly, and that is reflected in my mod. The pot-de-fer only requires gunpowder and metal casting, and the cannon requires rifling and steel.

That is not quite true. I have seen a lot of cannons that are still functional and didnt require metal casting. I have been sitting on a cannon made of cherry wood that could do quite a damage either to living targets or buildings... The pot-de-fer is actually an iron cannon and comes later on. The cherry wood cannon is "easy" to make. You need wood, some iron ore to smith (not cast) into steel, gunpowder and ammo (which can be anything).

me thinks you are wrong En Dotter.
wooden cannon were one shot or two-shot tools that broke just after use. they were a non-entity for the evolution of history.
further, they only appeared after "normal" evolved cannon, rifled and casted, were in use... as a cheap replacement when you had really nothing else.

I would still propose that you use the words bombard or carronade for early cannons (renaissance era cannons). it would be leave a much better image than the pot-de-fer. which are really "prehistoric" cannon (and mostly medieval tools). Bombards and Carronades were at least a bit evolved.

I think that airship should be able to attack.the germans in ww1 bombard london with airships

Also i like the potdefer idea.i always think that rennaiciense era was Very empty on ground units

Ultimately, zeplins were too bulky and slow to effectively attack. They was 1-2 bombing attempts with them iirc, and British planes destroyed the blimps involved.

I know but they try .anyways if airship attack is take down i think that ww1 planes should be added,just to have figthers and bombers earlier

I think castles go obsolete a bit quick it it's with gunpowder. Maybe with Rifling like Walls? Many mods have an intermediate siege unit like your Pot-de-fer, but it's usually called the Bombard. All in all, I like it. There's not much yet, so not much to give input about. I will follow this project.

My suggestion is to replace the generic Native American Empire with the Cherokee, the Iroquois and the Lakota. This is more realistic and a much better way of representing Native peoples in game.

People like a variety of civilizations to choose from, and this could be to that benefit as well.

Cyberkhan's "civ of the week" had a Mississippian civilization you could add as well. They were a people influenced by Mesoamerican culture and built similiar temples. They were also the ancesters of tribes like the Cherokee.

Is this Mac-compatible?

I don't know, but I didn't do anything special to make it compatible, so I would guess no. Sorry.

I believe it's only incompatible if you mess with the DLL. Otherwise, it is :)

Top Bottom