Will you buy the DLCs

• No

Votes: 238 88.5%
  • Only the missin one

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Yes I'll buy them all

Votes: 21 7.8%

• Total voters
Of course not, it's a giant rip off, which is logical, because far less people have bought and will buy this game than before, so Firaxis, or 2K Games, or whoever, wants to get some extra money while they can.

If this DLC was coffee I would buy it. Which is odd because I don't like coffee.:think:

Hahaha, good point. And I should clarify that I was being facetious - pre-emptive parody of the usual "you must be poor if you can't afford 10 bucks" kind of responses. :p If it was $10 for something worthwhile, I might consider it (once the game is fixed and I can stay awake playing it) but ten bucks for four maps?? Forget about it. :shake:

Nope.

No way, no how.

My problems with the game won't be solved by more civilizations, maps, or scenarios.

I've got no problem with DLCs in general -- I bought every available sprite pack for HOI3 even the game itself had issues and the sprite packs add nothing to gameplay.

But I'm sure as heck not wasting any money on baubles for a game I don't even like.

just look at the massive land slide, almost 90% do not want to buy the maps.
So good to see the community getting together on this one.

Wonder if 2kgreg will show his face in this thread :D

heh, gewd wun Inspector.. He put in a brief appearance yesterday, and gave the usual PR drivel.

I for one will get each and every bit of dlc that will be released. Screw unity and getting together, hurray for more content! :D :beer:

A my fiancé has promised to buy me every bit of dlc that will come ot so I care not either way. :)

Message to Firaxis, 2K, Steam & whoever else is involved into making the right decision(s) at this particular moment in CiV's chronological release of anything worth some of *MY* extra money to spend;

-- Any DLC has to have huge additional value at whatever the cost. If & when.

-- Many other important (essential, might be a better word) issues have yet to be addressed. Won't list them here, everyone knows what they are.

-- Patching is a way to improve upon critical stuff in a timely fashion and with reasonable pace. That in itself is actually worth much of what i *already* spent to have your game on my HD. It precludes why i even bother playing it or, as it happens, where it may lead us all in the near future. Short term, gameplay must workout as intended or else -- as game producers you failed to answer modern consumer's needs & hopes.

-- Take a long hard look at what Civ-4_BTS offered for a similar investment (i paid a full_regular_stock_shelved_legal_valid price of 49.95$CDN for such a complete version barely a year ago - in fact!) from your clients & start a formal development meeting with any staff you may have leftover from earlier rationalization gimmicks by some freakish CEOs. React now or keep on heading straight to a common corporate disaster that you'll be entirely responsible for no matter how hard you'd try denying it or escape through silly meanings such as DLC shoveled down people's throats.

So, my clear & definitive answer is; NO.
Not now, maybe - just maybe - later. But, it will take a gameplay miracle.

Wow, the question sparked some pretty hostile answers. Chill people. No one forces you to get it. Just ignore it. Also:

(You could even, once you follow the instructions on the Civ5 wiki and dl the SDK. Firaxis, telling us and encouraging us to get the equivalent of the DLC for free.)

If your time is free, I envy you. Mine is not.

I refuse to buy a massive inflated price

No. $10 just for four maps is insane.

"Massive" and "insane"? Can it get any cheaper than 2.50 for a map? Seriously, what are you expecting? 99 cents? That is probably not even worth the overhead for distributing this pack. I admire those people who think the world is free.

That said I won't buy them either, but not because it is "so expensive" (heck, a pint in my local pub costs more) but because I am not interested in maps in general. I have mesopotamia already and I haven't even noticed :D

I have a little game (also on Steam) called Defence Grid, which is a really fancy tower defence game, very enjoyable with a multitude of play modes. They released four maps packs, each with two maps. Each of the packs was £0.79. Now that's the kind of money a like spending on DLC.

Same here, buddy!
And this superbly towering gameplay alone (or with the Nectaris title by Backbone) justifies me firing up the XBox-360 every so often.

No, I don't want to pay for maps.

HELL NO!

I think they are getting enough money for crap software. Let them prove to me they can write healthy code and sometime after our sun expires Ill consider it....

I would rather eat a pine cone than buy these

I got the "craddle of civ" map pack with my european preorder (if only the demo would have come out sooner!) and i'd advise against buying it: While quite nicely designed, it lacks in several departments:
- The only viable Civs to play on that map would be the greeks or Carthagians, since all other ancient mediterranean empires don't fit fully on the map (even egypt is cut of in the south)
- Mesopotamia isn't even on the map (so much for craddle of civilisation)
- It ain't a scenario, nor is it possible to build it into one, so why bother playing it?
- It ain't even acurate (no marble in italy)
- starting positions are very strange and imbalanced (seldom strategic ressources in the vicinity)

Any motivated modder would build a better more fun map, so why bother?

Sad thing is that this map DLC becomes profitable the moment even one player falls for it. Right now 5% of all ciV owners buy map DLC - little less more likely - but still it sounds rather good for the publisher. CEO smiles contently and shows green light for a new silly DLC, already finished, waiting for the best time for release.

Reaction to DLC seen here is fairly common if you look at some other games. Bioware was selling a silly visor DLC for real moneys, for example. ;)

$10 for a map pack? No thanks. Maybe for some other Civs I'd consider it. I don't care about new map types or scenarios. I pretty much always play Continents or Pangaea anyway. Maps shouldn't be more than 99Cents per map. Anymore than that is just a rip off. A map is not enough incentive for me to spend $2.50 on. But I'll buy pretty much anything for 99cents.

Hopefully this thread has given Fraxis and 2k the shout out that we don't want to buy their DLC. We can make maps on our own and Civilizations on our own. We don't want Civ to become part of the DLC market. We just want and expansion.

Anyone who buys the dlc's is part of the problem, and is saying its okay to give out half finished games. You are a disgrace, there is no excuse giving out these dlc' when the game needs fixing. Its a money grab, and incredible insulting to the player base. No excuse.

Top Bottom