Do Airports connect to trade route?

Manfred Belheim

Moaner Lisa
In an effort to get a world monopoly on gemstones and dye in my current game, I've gone and made a bit of a mistake. The only island in the world with these resources is quite small and mountainous and, in order to get the most resources in the BFC, I've gone and placed one of the cities one tile inland. Only afterwards did I realise that I can't connect this to any other city via roads, nor is there any room to build another city on the coast. So now I'm left with a city that is brimming with gems, but which isn't connected to my capital and so I can't trade any of them :)

I considered gifting it to another civ, then invading and razing it and building it again somewhere better, but nobody has any interest in having the city so I can't gift it away. Is this a totally lost cause now? I'm not too far away from Flight so, if Airports connect to trade routes, I might be able to salvage something from it.

Built a fort on the coast and connect it to your city with a road. The fort acts as a port.

Like snakeseare says, a coastal fort with a road to the city will solve your problem. However, to answer the specific question about airports - yes they connect.

Okay, thanks for the tip about the forts, that'll help a lot. I did play around in worldbuilder adding an airport to the city and also adding the Flight technology, but neither connected the city up.

you need to have at least 2 airports for it to connect. It can be used to connect though. The easiest solution is what several other posters have said, which is to build a coastal fort. It doesn't need to be in the city's big fat cross (workable tiles), but it does have to be in your borders, and connected to the city by road.

Edit: Ignore everything above, as the posters below me are right, and everything "bolded" is wrong. Tested it myself. Got to say, the fort working not in cultural borders thing surprised me the most, since you can't use a fort outside of anyone's borders as a canal.

In an effort to get a world monopoly on gemstones and dye in my current game, I've gone and made a bit of a mistake. The only island in the world with these resources is quite small and mountainous and, in order to get the most resources in the BFC, I've gone and placed one of the cities one tile inland. Only afterwards did I realise that I can't connect this to any other city via roads, nor is there any room to build another city on the coast. So now I'm left with a city that is brimming with gems, but which isn't connected to my capital and so I can't trade any of them :)

I considered gifting it to another civ, then invading and razing it and building it again somewhere better, but nobody has any interest in having the city so I can't gift it away. Is this a totally lost cause now? I'm not too far away from Flight so, if Airports connect to trade routes, I might be able to salvage something from it.

You did? :lol:

Related question about trade connections.
How about a river next to city ending up on the shore? Does it also work?

I've tried worldbuilding 2 airports and it still doesn't work.

Yes the resources are connected to the city, I can see them in the city. But the city itself has no :traderoute: next to it. (yes, the fort does work and I'm using that now, but I'm just playing with the airport idea in worldbuilder too)

Correct me if I'm wrong. Here's my thought.
If two cities are land-locked in separate continents, then there will be no sharing of resources (if you own both cities) nor trade (if other city belongs to an AI civ).
I always thought rivers would be useful though they are connected to coasts. But i think they just serve as roads.:confused:
Building airports won't help you either. They just act like harbors. (You don't have to build harbors to connect your cities, right? They just give bonuses to trade routes.)

Forts then come to action. We know forts also act like cities/ports. Build them on both continents (must be coastal, of course):mischief:, then connect these forts to both of your cities.

Again, it isn't necessary to build them inside your cultural borders. Just as long as they're with roads/rr's, it will do.:)

Top Bottom