Do You Curse?

I never swear and I haven't said a swear word in decades. The only time I ever said a swear word was when I was a little kid and I got angry when playing a video game.

That's quite the vaunted - and dubious - boast there.

By the way, how bad the f-word is considered in English?
Bad enough to upset the telemarketer/scammers when I use it to tell them to GTF off my phone and never call back.

One of them said I "wasn't a very nice lady." Well, considering that he was trying to scam me out of every cent I have, I think he deserved every syllable of every CFC-infractible word I said.

I don't really swear, except maybe occasionally when I'm typing something - for some reason, typing it seems easier than saying it. But that's very rare for me, and only when I'm either really trying to add some emphasis, or be funny.

When I want to "swear" IRL, I'll most likely say "bleep!/bleeping!", etc. I also like The Good Place swears, like "fork," "shirt," etc.

I also make up my own, like "Holy Potato!", or "What the monkey?"
I didn't swear much online until I got to TNZ and learned from the worst there. And then they got upset when I said they were a bad influence on my online vocabulary ("Oh, no, you can't blame us for that..." (at which point follows a profanity-laced diatribe about what a horrible person I am)).

When I'm speaking in person, I can be colorful.

But as a matter of personal preference and experience, it's uncouth and ineffective; "crap" or "baloney" have the same impact in written form than any other words.
Funny thing about the word "crap"... Over a decade ago I belonged to another gaming forum (for RPGs) and got involved when a friend started the original Iron Pen writing competition. I competed a few times, and the last time was when he decided to give it up to concentrate on the novel he was writing. He ran one last contest... the winner would take over as the host of Iron Pen.

So I won and took over. And then one competition came along when one of the writers used the word "crap" in his story... and because the forum owners there were BS!C about some things, they decided to program the autocensor with the same code for one of the forum smileys. Whenever that particular word was included in someone's post, the word came out as a spinning green skull.

The structure of Iron Pen requires anonymity for the authors, so the host has to post the stories. I didn't realize there was a problem until I posted the stories, previewed the post, and saw the spinning green skull right in the middle of a sentence. It looked absolutely ridiculous, and could have unfairly biased the readers whose part in the contest was to read, critique, and vote on the stories. So I PM'd the author and asked which word he'd intended to use. He said it was "crap" and I wondered why that was even in the autocensor. The deadline for posting the stories was coming up very soon, so I PM'd one of the admins and said (paraphrased), "Look, I'm probably the most easily-offended member of this forum, and if the word "crap" doesn't bother me, why should it bother the rest of you? Please remove it so I can post this story."

It helped that the admin I spoke to was also one of the regular Iron Pen competitors. He removed the word, the story was posted, and if memory serves, I think it won.

(that forum could be so exasperating at times... we weren't allowed to post pictures, and threads involving religion or politics were forbidden. But we were allowed to use the [marquee] BBCode, which was fun)

I think I could be plenty abrasive without four letter words.

As Pierre Trudeau once said, "just watch me." :lol:
Fuddle-duddle! :p

(someone on another forum actually uses that phrase as the autocensor version of "the f-word")

I didn't swear much online until I got to TNZ and learned from the worst there. And then they got upset when I said they were a bad influence on my online vocabulary ("Oh, no, you can't blame us for that..." (at which point follows a profanity-laced diatribe about what a horrible person I am)).
I probably would not have even read their diatribe, although whenever people say things I do not want to hear online I just close them, perhaps that's why my ex-girlfriend does not contact me much, because she is afraid I will just ignore what she sends me.

I thought that having small children around would temper my urge to curse constantly....but it hasn't as much as I thought. I've gotten pretty good about not doing it around my kids (especially after my oldest repeated a few of them....embarrassing, but also objectively very funny).....but at work? or around friends? I still curse too much. Very rarely out of anger....but years of hanging around people and industries who curse like sailors does rub off on you, I guess

I don't think I swear "like a sailor," but I swear on a much more than daily basis, yes. If I'm writing casually, my writing is similar to my speaking and so I swear. On that note, I'd swear much more often on CFC if it weren't for the autocensor; I don't like the aesthetics of having a bunch of stars in my posts and I despise most substitutes for profanities (bullfeathers, horsehockey, fudge, etc).

Swearing for me is a small component of bonding. For example, swearing around a coworker or new friend creates a little bit of intimacy, especially in contrast to sterile corporate and educational environments. On the other hand, I usually feel slightly ill at ease around people who don't swear. I probably subconsciously filter some of these people out of my social life. Or it can be a sign we're not on the same wavelength.

Yes, they're definitely weirdos :shifty:
I shouldn't feel this way, but I often get a vibe that they're repressed, inauthentic, or judgmental (yes, I see the irony). That's not really fair though and is partly just my own anxiety about sounding too vulgar.

Though come to think of it... a good friend of mine rarely swears and we get along very well. But usually when I hang out with her, we do silly things like frolicking around fields blowing bubbles. She just exudes a certain peppyness that makes swearing feel unnecessary and out of place. Some people are like that.

Well rarely swearing is fine too, it's those who absolutely never do that are the repressed freaks.

I swear in an unusual word that is not harmful, like using the word "bat", "goat", I use the word stupid also when I'm angry, when I rage I curse.

But in internet, in some platform against certain type of desciplable people, I can be quite graphic with my words.

My maternal grandmother, who passed away in 2007, used to use similar sounding "proxy words," for certain common curses, including one I somewhat subconsciously adopted, myself - "for crying in the sink," instead of "for Christ's sake."

My maternal grandmother, who passed away in 2007, used to use similar sounding "proxy words," for certain common curses, including one I somewhat subconsciously adopted, myself - "for crying in the sink," instead of "for Christ's sake."

Yes actually Goat is a proxy for Dog in Indonesian language. Instead of saying "Anjing" I said "Kambing" instead. People usually take it as funny and laugh along. When I was teenager I use to swear in every coma and dot, but when I was in university I move in rural area where people are much more polite and traditional, which pretty much effect me until now.

Yes actually Goat is a proxy for Dog in Indonesian language. Instead of saying "Anjing" I said "Kambing" instead. People usually take it as funny and laugh along. When I was teenager I use to swear in every coma and dot, but when I was in university I move in rural area where people are much more polite and traditional, which pretty much effect me until now.

I thought you lived in Turkey, haroon.

I was, only for five years tough.

I almost never swear. I'm far more likely to gurgle incoherently if I hurt myself than anything else.

On the other hand, I think that seeing word replacements are more effective than a row of asterisks in text. After all, writing "bullfeathers" makes you look like a faintly embarrassed elderly aunt from the 1950s.

I almost never swear. I'm far more likely to gurgle incoherently if I hurt myself than anything else.

On the other hand, I think that seeing word replacements are more effective than a row of asterisks in text. After all, writing "bullfeathers" makes you look like a faintly embarrassed elderly aunt from the 1950s.
That's not effective swearing!

Top Bottom