Do you ever DEMAND?

dadam88

Chieftain
I have tried demanding before when playing domination before I declare war.

Does anyone demand goods successfully?

I know this could be useful in multiplayer haha

Ya it works similar to demand tribute from CS.

If you put your army near a weaker civ and intimidate them they will almost always give in to your demands.

Obviously it doesn't work if you try to demand from a civ with ~same or greater military than you however.

Does the proximity of your army actually matter for this ? I though it was only its size, promotions, gold reserves etc.

I realise it is both for CS bullying, but am uncertain as for Major Civs.

It's never, NEVER, yet worked for me even in situations, when my army was 5 times bigger, I had a nuclear arsenal and my neighbor-enemy was already fighting a war.

I use it when I want something and they rebuke me so I dow them immediately and take what I want and end the war xD Maybe next time they will remember it to give into my demands. :p

I've done it quite a few times. It helps to park your army nearby just like with the city state.

If I ever see a civ is in the afraid status to me I will begin the demands.

Only time it's every worked for me is when they were afraid of me. And even then, sometimes it doesn't work.

I think their proximity to you matters. If they are afraid of you and you're on the other side of the continent, it doesn't seem to work. If they are afraid of you and you border them ....

There's also a limit to what you can demand, apparently. I've seen a thread on here where someone posted the formula.

Like invy, I use it when trying to provoke the AI. With that, "stop spying," "don't settle" and a citadel, you can get them to DOW

Found this: http://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/1fxrbe/how_to_demand_from_those_pesky_ais_and_succeed/

I can't confirm the correctness of this, but the poster seems pretty certain of their statements

Here's how to get AIs to accept your demands:
Conditions where AI will never accept no matter the circumstances:
Too soon (20 turns + a random number between 1-10) turns since last demand
You're unforgivable (tons of red negative modifiers) to the AI
AI is Hostile toward you
AI military stronger than human's
AI is far/distant away and the human doesn't have troops on their home front
There are two numbers. Value willing to give up, and odds of giving in.
Initial odds based on AI boldness. Formula is (10 - Boldness) * 10. So 5 boldness = 50% initial chance.
Afraid (+50 odds, +200 value)
Military Strength:
Strong (+10 odds, +120 value)
Powerful (+20 odds, +200 value)
Immense (+35 odds, +200 value)
In total, the most you can demand is 400 value, although realistically your best chance is 200 value (immense military).
Consult the chart linked above to determine the odds of a demand going through. Game rolls a random number. If that number is smaller than the odds of giving in, then AI has possibility of accepting.
AI value chart:
Gold: maximum of either the gold you requested, or (gold requested * 10 / AI gpt). Essentially, if I request 237 gold, and the AI has 3 GPT, the actual value of the demand is 237 * 10 / 3 = 790 requested value. If I do the same thing and the AI has 20 gpt, then I've only requested 118 value.
GPT: (gpt requested * duration * 80 / 100). If I request 10 gpt, then on Standard that becomes 10 * 30 * 80 / 100 = 240 value.
Resources: +200 per luxury, +(40 * number requested) per strategic (5 iron = 200 value)
Open Borders = 50 value
If the value demanded > value willing to give up, then the AI requests. If not, then they accept.
Maybe this will clear things up. These are the only conditions the AI will accept demands in. Nothing else gets factored in.

Did not realize you have to menace their borders. Wonder how close is close? Don't want to park right on them and get that strongarm pop-up where I either have to DoW immediately or wind up making some long-term promise not to attack.

I frequently demand open borders, with hit and miss results.

I always try and demand stuff, but it only works with CS's when you have lots of units stationed near them.

If you approach a one tundra-city AI with 50 gazillion units and make a demand, even for something small, they will always turn it down. I've never gotten it to work with an AI ever and it's annoying as hell.

The formula above is too strict in my opinion.

I've only ever succeeded when I'm already the dominant Civ and the target is "Afraid." Even in those rare cases, the AI won't give much. It's basically a useless diplomatic option.

I demanded it once in my last game as a warmonger.

I didn't have the best military, nor did civ had Afraid status. He gave me his only luxury regardless. I think he might've been scared of me considering I just took his neighbour's capital out and he was in a war with Japan right beside them.

I don't really know how the mechanism work, but this could be a way for warmongers to maintain happiness despite not having enough money usually in the early stage to bribe CSs.

The formula above is too strict in my opinion.

I like to demand but I'm going to have to agree. Making it impossible in the situation "You're unforgivable (tons of red negative modifiers) to the AI" is the most annoying one for me because they often get there because I crushed their capital murdered their people and let a little piece of what once was an empire stand so I can sent it trade boats.

I think they should submit and pay in that situation especially if I have units standing around ready to finish off the little piece that is hanging on.

Top Bottom